• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tie Bar - Grenafaux Tie

unclesam099

Reaction score
I have a few of their ties from when I was building my wardrobe, and I think that you're better off going elsewhere (ie ebay, SF Buy/Sell forum, Kent Wang, Sam Hober, etc.) for the money. Instead of $15 + $5 ship for a grenafaux, you could save up and get a real grenadine for $75 or $80. The quality will be infinitely better, from the thickness of the silk to its resistance to wrinkling, and the quality of construction. I've handled a Hober grenadine and it's gotta be one of the nicest ties that I've seen/felt. After I bought a Brioni as my first quality tie, I haven't considered Tie Bar.

Last edited:

Falgrim

Reaction score
I have a few of their ties from when I was building my wardrobe, and I think that you're better off going elsewhere (ie ebay, SF Buy/Sell forum, Kent Wang, Sam Hober, etc.) for the money. Instead of $15 + $5 ship for a grenafaux, you could save up and get a real grenadine for $75 or $80. The quality will be infinitely better, from the thickness of the silk to its resistance to wrinkling, and the quality of construction. I've handled a Hober grenadine and it's gotta be one of the nicest ties that I've seen/felt. After I bought a Brioni as my first quality tie, I haven't considered Tie Bar.

+1

I have three ties from Tie Rack and their construction is not particularly durable. Good for a start-up but don't expect much more.Save up to start upgrading from the above recommendations.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you don't want to drop $80+ for a grenadine, consider Paul Winston/Chipp tailor in New York. $55.50 shipped for grenadines, and he's got 12 colors. He doesn't have much of a web presence, can email him but he'll end up directing you to call if you want to order.

As far as the OP, either do a grenadine or not, I wouldn't go for a fake. It won't look right. Might still look decent, but a grenadine it isn't.

Last edited:

the_drizzle

Reaction score
They are basically textured ties.

They are great for everyday work wear considering the price.

rockred819

Reaction score
Resurrecting a really old thread here. I did a search and couldn't find anything. For anyone who has a tie bar grenafaux tie: is the "pattern" more like grossa or fina? Thanks so much!

SS 376

Reaction score
Resurrecting a really old thread here. I did a search and couldn't find anything. For anyone who has a tie bar grenafaux tie: is the "pattern" more like grossa or fina? Thanks so much!
I have Hober, Chipp, and Tie Bar ties in my closet and the Tie Bar design’s most like a fina (or even a piccola), but it’s not really an apt comparison. The grenafaux is a textured tie, rather than something that can be compared to a woven tie. You wouldn’t confuse the two up close.

Please consider watching the classifieds here, as true grenadine ties are becoming more prevalent than over the past few months. I know of at least 3 different classifieds with grenadines available. I know it is very hard to justify spending $70-90 for a tie, but you can rationalize the price disparity with Tie Bar a little more when you can get a very good grenadine in the $40-50 dollar range. Also have a look at Chipp Neckwear, as they put out a nice grenadine at the $55 price point.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a rust coloured Tie Bar grenafaux I'll sell you for $10 shipped so about half price. Barely worn.

I also have a nice very dark blue garza fina grenadine from Holland and Sherry with subtle grey horizontal stripes for sale. PM if interested!

rockred819

Reaction score
Thanks @SS 376 . I'm actually asking because my wedding is coming up, and while I love grenadines (and my fiancee does too), I have too many groomsmen to afford to get them real grenadines. So my plan was to get a few contrasting colors of grenafaux for the groomsmen, and then get myself a Hober grenadine. I don't expect them to look the same close up, but I did want to get myself the grenadine that would be closest to the grenafaux, which prompted my grossa vs fina question. So it sounds like I should get myself a fina or piccola.

jayspec

Reaction score
Thanks @SS 376 . I'm actually asking because my wedding is coming up, and while I love grenadines (and my fiancee does too), I have too many groomsmen to afford to get them real grenadines. So my plan was to get a few contrasting colors of grenafaux for the groomsmen, and then get myself a Hober grenadine. I don't expect them to look the same close up, but I did want to get myself the grenadine that would be closest to the grenafaux, which prompted my grossa vs fina question. So it sounds like I should get myself a fina or piccola.

I would definitely say the grenafaux is closer to mimicking grossa than fina. It does not look or feel like a real grenadine as it is a textured print and has a reflective sheen. However, with a wedding that needs to stay within budget, it will work.

From left to right:

Hober Purple Grossa
Tie Bar Burnt Orange Grenafaux
Hober Bitter Chocolate Fina

rockred819

Reaction score
I would definitely say the grenafaux is closer to mimicking grossa than fina. It does not look or feel like a real grenadine as it is a textured print and has a reflective sheen. However, with a wedding that needs to stay within budget, it will work.

From left to right:

Hober Purple Grossa
Tie Bar Burnt Orange Grenafaux
Hober Bitter Chocolate Fina

Awesome, thanks so much! These photos are really helpful. Especially because it turns out Hober is out of stock of the fina in the color I want for myself. Now I feel much more confident going with the grossa. Your grossa and fina are both gorgeous though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads