• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

g2x222

Reaction score
How much can a pair of trousers be taken in?

I purchased a cotton double-breasted DOPPIAA suit off Yoox (aka gambling) in size 46 (EU). The jacket fits fairly well; however, the trousers are huge! They're also labeled 46, but the waist measurement is more like 35". I measure about 31"

I don't mind fuller thighs, as I plan to wear this fairly casually, but obviously the waist and seat need to taken in, at minimum.

Is this feasible?

bde

Reaction score
Can pants with an elastic waistband be taken in? I got some ikiji pants in a size 2/M, but they are still a bit too big for me.

Timmers

Reaction score
View attachment 1992427
Hello, I would appreciate any advice on how to refine my trouser measurements. This was my first go as custom work from Luxire. I'm looking to get better drape, more in line with the second image. I know I need to go with a heavier fabric, but how should the measurements be adjusted? So far I'm thinking having the trousers come up to my natural waist and adding room in the seat and thigh to eliminate the pulling in the groin. I'd appreciate any advice and feedback.
Wool will automatically make the drape better than what I assume to to be cotton trousers. Heavy cotton won't get the same drape. More fullness as you've indicated, higher rise (natural waist, around the naval), and a sharp crease should do the trick. Leg opening looks okay. Make sure you adjust the length when increasing the rise, and I'd go a touch longer in the leg length regardless. I'd wager it'd be difficult to achieve the 2nd image through Luxire.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How much can a pair of trousers be taken in?

I purchased a cotton double-breasted DOPPIAA suit off Yoox (aka gambling) in size 46 (EU). The jacket fits fairly well; however, the trousers are huge! They're also labeled 46, but the waist measurement is more like 35". I measure about 31"

I don't mind fuller thighs, as I plan to wear this fairly casually, but obviously the waist and seat need to taken in, at minimum.

Is this feasible?
It’s a bit unclear what the jacket and trouser size is at present.
46 EU would translate to a 36 chest in the USA. Trouser waist is 35. Is that 35”?

reducing the trouser by 4” requires recutting, not altering. You have to determine how much the seat has to be reduced too.
Recutting means you reduce the front panel as well as the back part.
To do this either the fly or the front pockets have to be removed and remade. Big job to do but the only way to get a good result. Finding someone to do this is equally hard. Alteration shops don‘t want labor intensive work like this.
Be sure the tailor has the expertise of how trouser patterns are made and proportioned to get the recut done properly. Often recuts come out too tight because the tailor doesn‘t calculate the amount of ease necessary over the hips to be comfortable.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can pants with an elastic waistband be taken in? I got some ikiji pants in a size 2/M, but they are still a bit too big for me.
Take them to a tailor and ask. Can’t say without seeing them. Elastic waist is easier to make but harder to alter.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1992427
Hello, I would appreciate any advice on how to refine my trouser measurements. This was my first go as custom work from Luxire. I'm looking to get better drape, more in line with the second image. I know I need to go with a heavier fabric, but how should the measurements be adjusted? So far I'm thinking having the trousers come up to my natural waist and adding room in the seat and thigh to eliminate the pulling in the groin. I'd appreciate any advice and feedback.
Best not to experiment with cotton cloth. Use wool. Post more pictures. We need to see the side and back view.
this trouser length is very short for the width at the hem. Would look a lot better with the trouser at least touching the shoe. This cotton will probably shrink some after laundering and could be a problem to lengthen. Need to allow for that in the measurements.

g2x222

Reaction score
It’s a bit unclear what the jacket and trouser size is at present.
46 EU would translate to a 36 chest in the USA. Trouser waist is 35. Is that 35”?

reducing the trouser by 4” requires recutting, not altering. You have to determine how much the seat has to be reduced too.
Recutting means you reduce the front panel as well as the back part.
To do this either the fly or the front pockets have to be removed and remade. Big job to do but the only way to get a good result. Finding someone to do this is equally hard. Alteration shops don‘t want labor intensive work like this.
Be sure the tailor has the expertise of how trouser patterns are made and proportioned to get the recut done properly. Often recuts come out too tight because the tailor doesn‘t calculate the amount of ease necessary over the hips to be comfortable.
Yes, the sizes you mentioned are correct - 46EU/36US jacket with 35” pants (labeled 46EU). I have to guess the pants were a mistake at the factory.

As with many Yoox deep-clearance purchases, it was made on a whim. It’s a well-made suit and quite a good deal, but I bought it for fun/more casual usage, and it’s probably not worth the hassle/expensive of extensive tailoring work. Back to Yoox it goes…

hysteria

Reaction score
Hi there,

With several of my trousers, I encounter two issues where I don't understand the fit mechanics well enough to diagnose the issue and what needs to be done to fix it.
1. Diagonal wrinkles around the front pockets
2. Wrinkling around the rear area between the back pockets and the side-adjusters.

I'll share a few photos to demonstrate the issue.

The brown fresco and flannel patterns belong to the same pattern. Red highlights issue # 1 with wrinkles in the front. Green highlights issue # 2 with wrinkles between the back pockets and side-adjusters.

The grey trousers are a different pattern with a slightly wider pelvis volume.

Moving forward, what adjustments can I make for MTM/MTO orders to avoid these issues?
Looking for some suggestions on this

MrImpractical

Reaction score
Any insight on the maximum amount trousers can be taken in if properly recut? Currently wearing a 42 waist, but have in the past fit a 36. On the off chance I slim down that much in the future, should I bet on replacing them? I wear a very wide, straight leg cut if that’s relevant.

Shetterd

Reaction score
What is the purpose of a dart/cut under the lapel? I have quite a strong chest and a tailor recently said it might help the lapel lie flatter.

Shetterd

Reaction score
What is the purpose of a dart/cut under the lapel? I have quite a strong chest and a tailor recently said it might help the lapel lie flatter.
Apparently Steven Hitchcock calls this a dog cut? Though I might be confusing my terms here. Would appreciate any insight into the way this works @Despos et al

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any insight on the maximum amount trousers can be taken in if properly recut? Currently wearing a 42 waist, but have in the past fit a 36. On the off chance I slim down that much in the future, should I bet on replacing them? I wear a very wide, straight leg cut if that’s relevant.
Replace them

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member