• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SwissArmySuit™: a sartorial strip tease

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At what point did the discussion about reversible **** start?You guys are impossible to keep up with,this thread has been the most viewed today.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The obviousness of the SAS is startling. It's two suits in one. If he simply removes the DB vest, it becomes a two-piece suit.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
The obviousness of the SAS is startling. It's two suits in one. If he simply removes the DB vest, it becomes a two-piece suit.

Most underwhelming possibility thus far.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbbreau
As a frenchspeaking guy, I can't help finding it amusing that you guys often stick a french expression in your sentences.

It's quite flattering to see one's language when you're not expecting it.

Monsieur Breau,
Vous ne parlez pas le français ; vous parlez le quÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
cois. Ils sont les langues très diffÃ
00a9.png
rentes.
devil.gif

Mais monsieur, ce n'est pas que j'utilise seulement des phrases français en parlant anglais. Je suis francophone ; peut être au niveau qui est moins que celui des natives, mais francophone quand même.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You guys are such idiots. This suit is like the those "transition" lenses. In the day time, the suit is navy. At sundown, it turns black. Walking into an conservative business dress office, the suit is navy. Walking into a more casual environment, the suit turns grey. When the jacket senses that the original pants are not being worn with it, patch pockets and wide stripes rise from the bottom of the fabric. Interesting? Yes. Revolutionary? No.
Like the vehicles in Megaforce
inlove.gif
?

Originally Posted by Threak
Ok, that gives up the secret.

He's going to switch out the vest for a hoodie, and wear it with chucks.

laugh.gif
Or maybe there' a hidden hood and false zippered front sewed into the jacket.

Originally Posted by eg1
Whilst I lack the imagination to play this game, I salute those of you who do -- this is simply splendid!
clap.gif

Me too. Love the imagination set loose.

Originally Posted by pbc
...The vest is reversible... I suspect the color isn't too far from navy, such as charcoal or mid gray, so that the areas where they meet, such as the waist seam and lapel fold, aren't obvious. (It might look like yellow piping if the reverse was buff colored.) ...
This sounds like a good idea. Or on the reverse side the vest could have actual piping that's navy or close to the navy. Then it could be a lighter color as long as the fabric had a tight weave.

jbbreau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JibranKhan
Monsieur Breau,
Vous ne parlez pas le français ; vous parlez le quÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
cois. Ils sont les langues très diffÃ
00a9.png
rentes.
devil.gif

Mais monsieur, ce n'est pas que j'utilise seulement des phrases français en parlant anglais. Je suis francophone ; peut être au niveau qui est moins que celui des natives, mais francophone quand même.

Haha

00a9.png
solÃ
00a9.png
, mais je parle français comme n'importe quel francophone.

fight[1].gif

Au plaisir,

Jean-Bernard

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he's calling it the swiss army suit, it's got to have a place to stash booze - for emergency use. This in concept:
saintbernard_rahm.jpg
But a camel back in execution. Hoses down the sleeves allow vox to discreetly add proper restoratives to any normal beverage he might be served. Think of it like Al Czervik's golf bag.
1414449863_7b7452e25d_o.jpg

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pbc
If the reverse vest is a mid gray with brown buttons, that might help the informality. Perhaps the revers is a linen or buff color or it has a subdued or dark pattern in a plaid, check, or houndstooth. Matching pants could then qualify the SwissArmySuit for a "wide gap" in formality.

pbc

A reversible double-breasted vest would not moderate the suit's formality in any way. When reversed it would remain a double-breasted vest, which is the most formal kind.

Now, reversible pants with stripes on the other side definitely change the formality of the outfit.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pbc
Reversing the jacket is too complicated (shoulders, sleeves, lapels). The vest is reversible. That's why it's double-breasted - you put the same buttons and holes on left and right, with the buttons on both the inside and outside, and there is no breast pocket. That takes care of the whole left/right button/hole problem when reversing.

When reversed, the vest has a more casual fabric and is without lapels. I suspect the color isn't too far from navy, such as charcoal or mid gray, so that the areas where they meet, such as the waist seam and lapel fold, aren't obvious. (It might look like yellow piping if the reverse was buff colored.) The buttons might also be interchangeable.

Some of the engineering problems to resolve are matching vest and jacket drape. The jacket has normal lining while the vest has two cloths. Heat also becomes an issue, so likely two very light fabrics were used on the vest, about 7-7.5 oz each, giving 13-14 oz fabric. A straight 13-14oz would be a bit hot for most, especially in a three-piece with a double-breasted vest. Now with such a light single cloth on the jacket, careful construction with the canvas and lining must be done without looking cheap to approximate the vest.

If there is an extra pair of pants to match the reverse vest, that would give six combinations for an outfit (all with jacket) by only packing one pair of pants, since he'd be wearing the rest. Having the contrasting colors reduces the formality.

Am I close?

pbc

Originally Posted by Chow Chow
502708051_XEqFb-L.jpg

I thought the buttons in the keystone style were supposed to be on a straight line, but they are not. Is Edwin's rendering here the customary way, or a variation?

It appears that the vest edge could fold back on the vertical seam and button to itself. When reversed it would be a SB vest with a fly front.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
It appears that the vest edge could fold back on the vertical seam and button to itself. When reversed it would be a SB vest with a fly front.
I think we have a winner. Now that I see whose post it is, I'm not surprised.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads