• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SwissArmySuit™: a sartorial strip tease

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'd like to point out that I was the first person to be right on this.

bigstar[1].gif

Yeah, Baron and you had this figured out.

- B

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I obviously knew from the beginning that it was just the buttons that were SwissArmy, but I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone (I also got here a bit late).

Vox, I think that this fit is much more flattering on you than most of the other stuff I've seen you in. (The jacket. I don't particular care for the vest and high-back trou.)

Also, I like the beard iammatt has grown in the pic of him sleeping.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'd like to point out that I was the first person to be right on this.

bigstar[1].gif

I think you and I were right aobut this a month ago in that other thread.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
+1. The jacket is really well cut regardless of all the button hoo-ha.

Thank you, Parky. This way, though, I'm assured of having several jackets and suits all cut the same...!

I have high hopes for the DB version as well.

Originally Posted by NakedYoga
Very cool, Vox. How long does it take for you to switch out all the buttons? I'm wondering if you could go from the boardroom to your hotel room, quickly transform the 3-piece into the metal-buttoned blazer, and then saunter into a more casual cocktail hour at the hotel bar in Guinness world record time.

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I would guess 5 minutes, tops.

The question then becomes, how many people at a cocktail party would notice the change from:

A) 3-piece to blazer
B) 3-piece with navy horn to MOP buttons

Maybe a couple minutes to swap out the buttons, if that. It's very convenient.

- B

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a nice suit and the button switching may be nifty but a one-button blazer just looks weird to me. I think I prefer the patch pockets and brown horn on Manton's BS - sorry Vox. Glad you're happy with it though - enjoy!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I think you and I were right aobut this a month ago in that other thread.

Right...you, too.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
It's a nice suit and the button switching may be nifty but a one-button blazer just looks weird to me. I think I prefer the patch pockets and brown horn on Manton's BS - sorry Vox. Glad you're happy with it though - enjoy!

Thanks!

Someday, I hope that you see a Huntsman SB blazer...that might also look weird to you, and not just because of the single button.

- B

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
The question then becomes, how many people at a cocktail party would notice the change from:

A) 3-piece to blazer
B) 3-piece with navy horn to MOP buttons

Probably no one. But then again, who dresses for others?
tounge.gif

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Maybe a couple minutes to swap out the buttons, if that. It's very convenient.

Cool. I guess the initial fastening is quick, and then you do a little tugging to make sure they are all snug and "locked in."

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Right...you, too.

- B

But you told us it couldn't be done!
plain.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
But you told us it couldn't be done!
plain.gif

Did I? I thought I said that it would probably take a real asshole to get something like this done.

You were correct, but so was I.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
Cool. I guess the initial fastening is quick, and then you do a little tugging to make sure they are all snug and "locked in."

That's exactly how it works.

- B

citoyen

Reaction score
Ha! Well, many of you guys had your imaginations unleashed, but everything that you imagined was awful in conception. Truly.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

- B

Originally Posted by trex
very underwhelming. I mean, it sure is innovative and everything, but not at all to the point to which vox made us thought it was.

Originally Posted by T4phage
I admire the technical execution... especially on the jacket. People need to notice the right angles of the opposing buttonholes and the purpose, and the difficulty.

Originally Posted by pblasco
How like did it take from start to finish? Also, were there many "rough drafts" used to test ideas, or was it more preplanned out and then one jacket made?

this whole thread reminded me of the different Apple MacBook/Pro etc. events and the concerning discussions on the different fora around the world: crazy expectations, proposing "facts" beyond all thinkable, afterwards everyone is disappointed and the apple stocks are falling. ... i think you know what i try to analogize... it was great fun to read and i think you and your tailor did a terrific job. congratulations, vox. looking forward to the db thing.

sidenote: perhaps you should hybridize the manton blazersuit(tm) and the voxsartoria swissarmysuit(tm) to blissarmysuitsuit in a next attempt. patch pockets...

SlamMan

Reaction score
Great idea for the intended purpose of packing light for traveling. Pretty entertaining to watch everyone get amped up for a reversible, color changing suit with a mini saw and toothpick too. Bravo, Bill!

Check your PMs' now brother!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citoyen
this whole thread reminded me of the different Apple MacBook/Pro etc. events and the concerning discussions on the different fora around the world: crazy expectations, proposing "facts" beyond all thinkable, afterwards everyone is disappointed and the apple stocks are falling. ... i think you know what i try to analogize... it was great fun to read and i think you and your tailor did a terrific job. congratulations, vox. looking forward to the db thing.

sidenote: perhaps you should hybridize the manton blazersuit(tm) and the voxsartoria swissarmysuit(tm) to blissarmysuitsuit in a next attempt. patch pockets...

Thanks.

I like the BlazerSuit for what it is: a casual suit. In fact, I have such suits from Mystery Bespoke Tailor™ (MBT™)...patch pocket suits, although none are done up with the intent of wearing the jacket on its own.

I also like odd navy jackets that have brown horn buttons rather than metal...I have one of those from Steed in a heavy flannel, and three others from MBT™ in fresco, heavy six-ply hopsack, and 8oz mohair.

But, I just also wanted something that wasn't a casual suit, and that was made up with an eye for travel. I wanted fancy (in this case, with DB vest), normal and mainstream (two piece without vest), casual (two piece with MoP buttons), and adaptable (all the various odd jacket combinations with the different buttons) all in one package.

Maybe those extremes could be pushed more than what I've done with the the SwissArmySuit™, but I doubt it...not without sacrificing what it means to have a bespoke suit that does not compromise on fit and construction. I was unwilling to sacrifice those refinements merely for novelty...so what novelty there is was pursued with deliberate vision for specific outcomes, all of which I believe have been achieved thanks to the patience and skill of my tailor and his staff.

Those of you who are lucky enough to have put on that finished bespoke garment and gotten the feeling, "Wow! This looks great and feels great," try imagining having that feeling but instantly multiplied into a configurations that otherwise would require separate commissions.

How's that?

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads