• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rise of Style Forum-born Entrepreneurs and their Impact on Style

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Try the late Alan Clarke for a start.

20100901_alan_clark_w.jpg

I may look like the late Alan Clarke in that photo ... but alas, I am not he.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the late Alan Clarke for a start.
20100901_alan_clark_w.jpg

Of course there are plenty of those characters left in the Tory party (the Rhees-Moggs, Rory Stewart, etc.), but I was just taking the opportunity for a pot shot: undeniably the party of Churchill has become the party of the banksters and total quality management (not that New Labour was very different). Macmillan on Thatcher: "It breaks my heart to see—and I cannot interfere—what is happening in our country today. This terrible strike, by the best men in the world, who beat the Kaiser’s and Hitler’s armies and never gave in. It is pointless and we cannot afford that kind of thing. Then there is the growing division of Conservative prosperity in the south and the ailing north and Midlands. We used to have battles and rows but they were quarrels. Now there is a new kind of wicked hatred that has been brought in by different types of people." Apologies for the digression.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I may look like the late Alan Clarke in that photo ... but alas, I am not he.
Clarke was the archetypal roue. His diaries are good fun. He was a [military] historian before his political career. Wrote a book about Operation Barbarossa which was well received. His quip about fellow Tory politician Micheal Heseltine '...The trouble with Michael is that he had to buy his own furniture...' always makes me laugh. An inveterate snob but with a twinkle. Funny and very charming by all accounts

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Apologies for the digression.
Digression is just what this thread needs. Yours was a worthy one.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clarke was the archetypal roue.

His diaries are good fun.

He was a [military] historian before his political career. Wrote a book about Operation Barbarossa which was well received.

His quip about fellow Tory politician Micheal Heseltine '...The trouble with Michael is that he had to buy his own furniture...' always makes me laugh.

An inveterate snob but with a twinkle. Funny and very charming by all accounts

Given that line about furniture (one I must remember) I will he on the lookout for his diaries ... and will read them thoroughly!

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Of course there are plenty of those characters left in the Tory party (the Rhees-Moggs, Rory Stewart, etc.), but I was just taking the opportunity for a pot shot: undeniably the party of Churchill has become the party of the banksters and total quality management (not that New Labour was very different). Macmillan on Thatcher: "It breaks my heart to see"”and I cannot interfere"”what is happening in our country today. This terrible strike, by the best men in the world, who beat the Kaiser's and Hitler's armies and never gave in. It is pointless and we cannot afford that kind of thing. Then there is the growing division of Conservative prosperity in the south and the ailing north and Midlands. We used to have battles and rows but they were quarrels. Now there is a new kind of wicked hatred that has been brought in by different types of people." Apologies for the digression.
Ah, you're talking about Disrealian 'one nation conservatism' I think. If you are, I don't think that died with SuperMac, it carried on with Heath and beyond. There were several in Thatcher's first cabinets, know as 'wets' as opposed to the Thatcherite 'drys' but they were gradually weeded/bullied out. However, it seems to be coming back into vogue with the present lot. We shall see.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
You have no idea Otto, no idea.
musicboohoo[1].gif

While I see and take your point on building a theoretical framework to evaluate RL experiences, IMO this more often than not does not happen.

What happens instead is that someone will take a printout of XYZ poster to his bespoke tailor, and say 'make me look like this', as opposed to pointing out various specific features that he finds particularly desirable. No account is taken whatsoever of the tailor's skill, taste, flexibility, or most importantly - the client's suitability for the desired silhouette.

In fact, I think that often the forum discusses 'silhouettes' and 'looks' (look how often this term comes up in WAYWRN) precisely because most participating members do not themselves understand completely what makes up a particular silhouette or look.

fair enough. i have probably wrongly assumed that others share my deconstructionist and overanalytical tendencies. i should have known better based on the number of "GQ look" posts here (although they seem to have abated recently)
lookaround.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did an internet search and this thread popped up. I had forgotten just how much fun this place used to be ... and what a ham I was ... uhhh am.

coldsalmon

Reaction score
Did an internet search and this thread popped up. I had forgotten just how much fun this place used to be ... and what a ham I was ... uhhh am.
I saw the title and thought it looked interesting, then came in on the last page and got very confused. This place is still fun!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads