• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The right shoes/sneakers for a tropical, beachy professional setting

CoolandCazh

Reaction score
Good afternoon gents, I need your help. I sell real estate in an affluent, tropical, laid back beach town in Costa Rica. I don't like/wear flip-flops because I want something sturdy, in case I have to run, ride an ATV, or just be prepared. My style is a bit more NY urban, so I've been wearing Nike basketball sneakers for years. But now I'm 41 and I just feel they are juvenile and out of touch with the beach scene. Desert boots seem too heavy, espadrilles too elegant, and Vans are just a bit too hippie/alternative for my vibe. Looking for some decent sneakers - and white is not an option as they will get muddy and filthy real quick. Thanks a ton for your help and suggestions!

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good pair of minimalist sneakers. Hit them with some protectant, and they should be fine. Here are two Allen Edmonds options in grain leather and in suede. If you want to go a bit dressier than sneakers, a nice pair of loafers would work. Bottom pic are Bostons from C&J.

ec4500183_single_feed1000.jpg

ec4022587_single_feed1000.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-31 093616.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of “dress sneakers”. Curious why you think espadrilles are too elegant? They are pretty casual in my book and would have been my recommendation.

Alternatively, check out some of Aurelien’s offerings—a knock off of Loro Piana’s Summer Walk style but a much lower price.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turkish Modern sells nice handmade yemeni slippers (which they call rafiks) that are a bit smarter than espadrilles but still casual and beachy. I’ve bought a few. I’ve had issues with the thin rubberized outer sole delaminating at the toe from the leather insole, but it’s easily repaired with contact cement. (The leather insole itself is stitched to the upper.) You wouldn’t wear these shoes trekking, but nice enough for light use.

Last edited:

CoolandCazh

Reaction score
Not a fan of “dress sneakers”. Curious why you think espadrilles are too elegant? They are pretty casual in my book and would have been my recommendation.

Alternatively, check out some of Aurelien’s offerings—a knock off of Loro Piana’s Summer Walk style but a much lower price.
Hey there, I’m trying to stick to my
NY roots. A bit of streetwear style tied in to the classy, relaxed beach vibe here. Espadrilles are too dainty for me. Loafers and boat shoes are also too stuffy. My basketball shoes are too juvenile. Some minimalist sneakers and a few of the suggestions above are viable.

rjc149

Reaction score
This is interesting, because I'm largely in the same boat as you. New Yorker approaching your age. I also think espadrilles are too dainty and "Euro." Boat shoes are for WASPs, loafers are a bit too dressy for a casual look, and basketball shoes/Converse/Vans are too youthful/hipster.

However, I consider the minimalist leather dress sneakers to also be too dainty. They're just a little too self-conscious and trendy for me. They scream 'middle-aged man needing to appear current.' Especially if you're talking about a $200+ pair of sneakers that will not age well or last very long.

I think if you're going to spend that kind of money on quality leather footwear, get proper leather shoes. If you're going to wear sneakers, just wear sneakers. They don't have to be gym sneakers. Basic New Balance, Adidas, Nike etc. are fine. I think striking a balance between casual streetwear and classy/elevated is elusive. It almost always looks incongruent. It's one or the other.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member