• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I do like the barleycorn - I will see what Chan has to offer in that area. I do like the ticket pocket, especially on a solid, as it kind of breaks up a long expanse of fabric on a tall guy and makes the jacket more casual. Patch pockets are the other option - still not decided between the two. What's the reasoning behind no hacking pockets? Just too obscure of a detail? I thought the origins of the hacking pocket were sporting, and therefore dressed down a jacket somewhat. I might be wrong about that though.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think hacking pockets have this effect on many people, even slim people:

evajanvaneyckslantedpoc.jpg

(Perhaps slightly unusual, but seriously meant illustration of what I mean.)

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they get pregnant? OMG

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I do like the barleycorn - I will see what Chan has to offer in that area. I do like the ticket pocket, especially on a solid, as it kind of breaks up a long expanse of fabric on a tall guy and makes the jacket more casual. Patch pockets are the other option - still not decided between the two. What's the reasoning behind no hacking pockets? Just too obscure of a detail? I thought the origins of the hacking pocket were sporting, and therefore dressed down a jacket somewhat. I might be wrong about that though.

I have odd jackets with a range of different pockets; straight, hacking, ticket, open patch, bellows, etc. Select the details that appeal to you, depending on the fabric and cut. For example, I could imagine hacking pockets and ticket pocket on an equestrian-inspired true 3B or 3/2.5. Or, bellows pockets on a shooting-style jacket. If you want casual and simple, 3 open patch pockets might work well.

Barley corn, herringbone, or Donegal fabrics all would fit the bill for what you're going for. There are also some nice small-scale houndstooth checked tweeds in the Worsted Alsport book, that may suit depending on the ground and scale of pattern.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...:) move to 'athletic wimmin app thread' ?

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:) I'm not sure I got my point about hacking pockets across...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered one of the Harris tweed sport coats from Brooks Brothers during their corporate sales event. I think I could have gotten a slightly better price through Bookster, but I like the fact that I know my sizes at BB and there is a location near me so minor alterations and returns are very simple.

Generally, how is the quality of the newer Brooks Brothers tweed sport coats?

Last edited:

Tweedy

Reaction score

A few close ups of various Harris Tweeds ...

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW NOBD I get id and love id-

n I've always wondered why medieval Dutch iconograhy isn't the lingua franca of clothing discussions on the net. i mean WTF? :D

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pardon my ignorance but who's Chan and why is he coming to DC? Thanks

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a Brooks Brothers black/white herringbone tweed from ebay for $30 shipped. The description indicted it was "like new" and the pictures appear to justify this...we'll see when it arrives.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...I think it's because not everyone agrees with your opinion? I certainly don't. I quite like them and have a few of my garments made with them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads