• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcl

Reaction score
Anyone want to place bets on what the next bi-monthly :slapfight: will be over? We have recently covered crappy finds, GW/Sally evilness, and now thrift poaching. On a completely unrelated note, why would someone do this to a poor, innocent Talbott knit tie? :fu:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

I've been trying to find a Southwick anything in my size for a looooong time. Last time I got close, hole in the left shoulder :fu:

I had a Southwick heavy worsted jacket in your size...but I wore it a couple times it was the old "Odd Suit Jacket" thing so I rethrifted, even though it was striped and you could kinda get away with it. It was niiiice. Seems like the Southwick stuff I see, when I do, is pretty dated.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif
This thread is a trainwreck.
I bet the donor of said jackets would be pretty entertained by the scrum that has developed over them.
They're used sack sportcoats, people. Get over it.
Info on Goodwill is readily available to anyone. How is that blowing up anyone's spot?

Seriously....wtf, its a Goodwill. I could half way understand you being pissed if it was a little hole in the wall mom and pop thrift store, down a dark ally that you found by accident after being chased by a bum asking for your Pantherella socks, but its a damn Goodwill!

bytor13

Reaction score
Anyone want to place bets on what the next bi-monthly
smack.gif
will be over? We have recently covered crappy finds, GW/Sally evilness, and now thrift poaching. On a completely unrelated note, why would someone do this to a poor, innocent Talbott knit tie?
ffffuuuu.gif

There's a similarly wrecked BB jacket at my local Goodwill (don't worry, I won't reveal the location
rotflmao.gif
) with a grapevine running up the sleeve, over the shoulder, and across the back. Much like this . . .

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
These are definitely the new model, and I agree, I was flabergasted to see them in a thrift given the fact that they just started production on these but a year or so ago.

I was talking with an employee of a really nice consignment store near my house and asked him how they ended up with so much NWT / NWOT stuff since they were a consignment store. He told me that a lot of smaller to mid-sized boutique stores end up with unsold stock, display items, and customer returns that just end up gathering in their back rooms after a couple of seasons. After the store employees pick through it for themselves, either the store owner or those same employees consign the stuff. If it doesn't sell sometimes it gets donated NWT and all.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Seriously....wtf, its a Goodwill. I could half way understand you being pissed if it was a little hole in the wall mom and pop thrift store, down a dark alley that you found by accident after being chased by a bum asking for your Pantherella socks, but its a damn Goodwill!

+1

"Half way" being the operative word. I'm glass half empty on this, I can't see why anyone would get PO'd. You're sharing finds & info on a public thread. Publicly discussing your thrifting exploits. If you're proprietary and rabbit-y and worried about protecting your territory, please go back to lurking. Or change your attitude. Or at least don't complain about your fave store "getting molested."

I can't imagine what you think of http://www.thethriftshopper.com/ and what they do to your favorite haunts, if you call a fellow poster "molesting" it here.

Numerous posters here PM me, asking what my favorite spots are in various towns along the NYC-Maine circuit when they're coming out here and I tell them, every time. I don't know every store, by any means but what I know, I pass on. Share and share alike. It's how I express my appreciation for the knowledge I gained here from those who came before me.

Next :slapfight: topic:

"No, REALLY, I can rock the Stafford, and here are the pictures to prove it."

Last edited:

GHo

Reaction score

Every time Mainy posts, my poor little thrift finds get thrift inadequacy.  I have to spend the day comforting myself, telling myself that my tiny little haul is just-as-good as his big, throbbing, manly haul.  

Can I see pics of your manly haul, Mainy?

no ****

:marchal:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1
"Half way" being the operative word. I'm glass half empty on this, I can't see why anyone would get PO'd. You're sharing finds & info on a public thread. Publicly discussing your thrifting exploits. If you're proprietary and rabbit-y and worried about protecting your territory, please go back to lurking. Or change your attitude. Or at least don't complain about your fave store "getting molested."
I can't imagine what you think of http://www.thethriftshopper.com/ and what they do to your favorite haunts, if you call a fellow poster "molesting" it here.
Numerous posters here PM me, asking what my favorite spots are in various towns along the NYC-Maine circuit when they're coming out here and I tell them, every time. I don't know every store, by any means but what I know, I pass on. Share and share alike. It's how I express my appreciation for the knowledge I gained here from those who came before me.
Next :slapfight: topic:
"No, REALLY, I can rock the Stafford, and here are the pictures to prove it."

:brick: How dare you reveal that website :censored:

:D

hyakku

Reaction score
LOL, this logic doesn't make sense. If it was the case that I was the only one who felt this way and wasn't just going to be blunt about it, everyone would be posting where they got their finds for everyone in the region to come by and pick a store clean. Again, to the new guy my bad for "yelling" at you, I really have nothing against you, I'm more like "wtf" was with that logic, but there's no way anyone is going to sit here and tell me that they just post the addresses of their favorite spots in this thread or some other nonsense.

Larson McCord

Reaction score

LOL, this logic doesn't make sense. If it was the case that I was the only one who felt this way and wasn't just going to be blunt about it, everyone would be posting where they got their finds for everyone in the region to come by and pick a store clean. Again, to the new guy my bad for "yelling" at you, I really have nothing against you, I'm more like "wtf" was with that logic, but there's no way anyone is going to sit here and tell me that they just post the addresses of their favorite spots in this thread or some other nonsense.

IT.....IS......A .......GOODWILL

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up a few SCs this week.

Older HF Lambswool Glen Plaid Tweed

$(KGrHqNHJE4E88eURyqvBPUBsmJ0h!~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqNHJCcE9BdU0PDJBPUBtqiBjQ~~60_57.JPG

Tom James St Patty's Sport Coat, ticket pocket, altered working cuffs (need to be made working again).

$(KGrHqVHJBcE9!KYNfvEBPUB96(Glg~~60_57.JPG

Abboud Windowpane

$(KGrHqN,!hcE8mPMNCQqBPUCQrN8l!~~60_57.JPG

Older Burberry Houndstooth

$(KGrHqZ,!p4E8Wqqb0BUBPUCgF(Tg!~~60_57.JPG

Abboud Checked 3 Button

$(KGrHqRHJCoE9!OfDVrRBPUCu85kTg~~60_57.JPG

Super Bold Harris Tweed by Nordstrom

$(KGrHqMOKjsE851RuN+UBPUDGk)Pcg~~60_57.JPG

Donegal Tweed in Wool, Mohair and Cashmere

$(KGrHqFHJCUE9!GMpm93BPUDcD9CKQ~~60_57.JPG

Harris Tweed, with suede elbows

$(KGrHqZHJBQE8+mGvRSDBPUDo4zRew~~60_57.JPG

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:facepalm:
at the risk of being that guy, i'm gonna come right out and say what others are probably thinking: you really really REALLY should have made an effort to hook other people up, ESPECIALLY since the only reason you knew about those jackets was because someone ELSE was nice enough to share that info.
PSA to everyone: be selective (think "PM") when sharing location-specific info or when offering to hook people up on a large scale. the recipients of your publicly-broadcasted info might not "pay it forward" or even contribute to this thread. (i had to learn this the hard way).

Just to add a little more info and hopefully put this issue to bed, I was the other SF member that randomly happened to meet mat135ta to pick up a few of the SCs that were posted. We are both 40rs and each picked up two of the posted coats that fit perfectly, no alterations needed.

As for the other coats, they were:

1) "unclaimed" on the forum,
2) moved somewhere else, or
3) purchased (apparently they let non-SFers onto this particular GW)

I'm sorry if we broke some sort of unspoken "thrifting code," but I don't think it's really fair to jump all over mat or the gentleman who graciously posted about their availability, without knowing all the facts first.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just to add a little more info and hopefully put this issue to bed, I was the other SF member that randomly happened to meet mat135ta to pick up a few of the SCs that were posted. We are both 40rs and each picked up two of the posted coats that fit perfectly, no alterations needed.
As for the other coats, they were:
1) "unclaimed" on the forum,
2) moved somewhere else, or
3) purchased (apparently they let non-SFers onto this particular GW)
I'm sorry if we broke some sort of unspoken "thrifting code," but I don't think it's really fair to jump all over mat or the gentleman who graciously posted about their availability, without knowing all the facts first.

Since you guys did not break into a fistfight in the store and shared the jackets nicely you obviously did not violate the thrifting code. Two is more than one.
BTW you are lucky to get there before the lurker mass flippers (or flipping mass lurkers) get there.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score

(apparently they let non-SFers onto this particular GW).

Wait...what?!

Great haul, and they are my size. I would love to have that Carroll & Co. Chester Barrie, but as stated earlier, there will be more, and more, and more. We all get frustrated by what we miss (hey, I'm in the same town as mainy!), but most of us have more clothes than we know what to do with as it is. Put in the thrifting time. Things will come your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads