• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

franz_sanchez

Reaction score

I liked the shot of the singer wearing it - it's nice to see if there's another connection or some reference around an item. Nothing quite like the shot of Vox wearing a similar RLPL jacket to one Mainy found, but still... :lol: Also, RLPL is always good to see - if that shirt was 1/2 inch larger in the neck, I would be PMing you right now! I suspect there's several guys on here who are interested in size 17 RLPL though. ;)
Anyway, I picked this up today - the only thing I picked up in two stores, and it's a keeper for myself. I normally wouldn't post a photo of this, but given the recent Brooks Brothers discussion (and those NWT's that I didn't pick up) I wanted to make a point: this is the kind of thing that's very nice, made well (albeit in HK, but it's of Italian wool) and extremely recent - no more than a couple of years old - and yet is often difficult to sell. In this case, I suspect if I posted this particular sweater to Ebay it would actually sell, likely for $15-20 (shipping included) - minus fees, I'd probably get $12-17 for it and spend about $5-6 bucks shipping it, meaning I'd have $6-$12 left over. Keep in mind that's a best case - this item is somewhat more desirable than most, being half zip and lambswool. In cashmere, such a sweater would be a grail for me; in cotton I pass them by regularly (though I happen to be wearing one today myself!)
Bottom line: often such sweaters are priced $6.99-9.99 around here, so normally I would be looking at BARELY eking out a profit, if not taking a loss, on such an item. Thus, if I pick something like that up, it's for one of three reasons: a) I'll wear it myself, b) someone I know will want it (but this is rare for BB) or c) it's an unusual item that might sell well, like a recent mainline Fun Shirt button-down. That's one reason if you're looking for something, speak up - you never know what someone has or might run across!
As far as the cost of this sweater: the original Brooks Brothers retail was approximately $148, with the usual sales available, so if I were to purchase such a sweater new I'd probably pay something just over a hundred bucks for it. My price today on discount day: $1.59 out the door and into my sweater drawer (after cleaning). :happy:

I got a Brooks Brothers crewneck sweater at thrift shop for around $5 or so. It's 92% Merino Wool and 8% cashmere. I was thinking of selling it on ebay and I figured I couldn't get much for it. It seemed like something that could sell for $15-20. I'm very careful though. I want to make sure their aren't any holes or anything. I want make sure what I'm buying is in good condition.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
had to pass on a recent Truzzi shirt and a recent Isaia shirt today. back of the collar was all fucked up along the fold. too much starch i guess :(

Snagged a couple no name ties i liked the pattern on.

Got myself a couple of recent Hickey Freeman Loro Piana super 130s suits also.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
Finally got round to taking very poor quality PICS (bad lighting main problem, but also bad 5MPixel camera on Iphone)
Kiton 54 - 42US (color is chestnut brown, photos make it look british tan, faint green windowpane)
Cashmere
Double vented
2 button
This is reserved for another member - - does this make anyone else really sad?? (really great stuff klobber! keep up the good work)

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Oxxford is my favourite find. I will take to a tailor to test possibilities of letting out and fitting me, since it must have been tailored down. I could easily see a guy like Spoo wearing that.

Kiton is on a soft reserve, meaning if a tailor cant let it out for me, it goes to a new home.

I dont think I can make either work, hence decided to reserve at least the Kiton for a member here that was kind enough to want it.

I also like the Faconnable one, cant believe this brand make SC's. It is nice, but I already have one like it.

All other garments listed in a prior post are also sale / trade possibles. I will later on consolidate everything in one list, I could not possibly keep it all. In fact I am under strict orders from my wife to rid everything, because my closet has way too many clothes as it is.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The Oxxford is my favourite find. I will take to a tailor to test possibilities of letting out and fitting me, since it must have been tailored down. I could easily see a guy like Spoo wearing that.

Me too... :( I hope some smaller equally as rich dudes donate there too...

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your kind words Dave, I hunt stuff down regularly thanks to having a wife, father in law on east coast, and yours truly that thrifts regularly at decent places.

Me too... :( I hope some smaller equally as rich dudes donate there too...

PM me your size, including shirts. You seem to be on the slender side of athletic, shooting in the dark I would place your European size at 52.

Sure, I see cool stuff all the time in small sizes. Like you, I have an eye for the unusual or slightly different :slayer: .

For you I would not charge for a single dime of profit or have unreasonable demands for trades ;)

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Klobber, may be interested in the kiton and oxxford if they dont end up working for you. Pending measurements of course.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Klobber, may be interested in the kiton and oxxford if they dont end up working for you. Pending measurements of course.

No interest in the Brioni linens?

Lastly, I found my first thrift store Brioni article of clothing (other than one tie) today but it wasn't in my size. :fu: I just couldn't leave them, though as I know there are some here who would love to own a pair of Brioni pants in their size. Please let me know if there's any interest. I bought them thinking they were 36's instead of 38's, knowing that would fit a family member but now, I doubt it. They have been dry cleaned, obviously by the tags but they appear to be unworn. No pulls or pills or dirt at the heels.
They appear to be linen in 38 X 32 with 2" turned under at the cuff.
PA250125-1.jpg

PA250126-1.jpg

PA250130-1.jpg

No idea what all this means.
PA250131.jpg

Inside is "pee-free" and pristine!
PA250138.jpg

Inseam:
PA250136.jpg

PA250135.jpg

Excess available cuffage,
PA250134.jpg

A little closure.
PA250127.jpg

PA250128.jpg

PA250129.jpg

:Sigh:

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a fellow that has first refusal on them. If he for some unknown or strange reason decides to bail out, I will let them go to a different home.

Last edited:

csoukoulis

Reaction score

I got a fellow that has first refusal on them. If he for some unknown or strange reason decides to bail out, I will let them go to a different home.

cool LMK. I just noticed that kiton is from Stanley Korshak which is a mens store here in dallas lol. May be interested in the isaia that needs a reweave, have pics?

digmenow, those blanco Brioni pants arent the same Brioni we all love. Check out ebay.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

PM me your size, including shirts. You seem to be on the slender side of athletic, shooting in the dark I would place your European size at 52.
Sure, I see cool stuff all the time in small sizes. Like you, I have an eye for the unusual or slightly different :slayer: .
For you I would not charge for a single dime of profit or have unreasonable demands for trades ;)

Close.... 15.5/34 shirt, sometimes 38R, mostly 40R jacket, 34W pant, 9.5 US shoe.

:cheers:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got round to taking very poor quality PICS (bad lighting main problem, but also bad 5MPixel camera on Iphone)

Kiton 54 - 42US (color is chestnut brown, photos make it look british tan, faint green windowpane)
Cashmere
Double vented
2 button
This is reserved for another member

Oxxford 44 - 42US (color is darker brown with windowpane that is peach / red and dark blue)
Full canvas
Escorial Wool
Double vented
2 button

Faconnable XL, fits like 46 - 48R (color is guncheck with tan and browns)
Half canvass
Wool
Double vented
2 button

No pictures due to pictures taken looking nothing like the color. Here is the rest:

Emporio Armani 56L Dark Blue Sport Coat, unvented, 3 button

Canali 56L Dark Navy Blazer, Steel gray metal crest button, double vent flap, 2 button, full canvass construction

Gianluca 56L Prince of Wales Brown Plaid Sport Coat, Unfinished sleeves, double vent flap, 2 button, half canvas construction (sublabel of ISAIA), NWOT

Isaia 56 Dark Brown / lighter brown windowpane, full canvas construction, double vent flap, 2 button, small hole on chest needs reweave

Corneliani 58L brown / green windowpane, full canvas, double vent flap, 2 button, small hole on back needs reweave

Everything is yours, none is mine. Sensible offers, sensible trades, we can work it out.

Other thrift listings to come, I will give away for free Luciano Barbera pants and Zenya pants. It takes too long to do pics, but I will slowly and surely get round to it. I will also give away some ties for the princely sum of null pwa, zero, ziltch.

I am interested in the Canali and the Isaia :D

goneAWOL

Reaction score
I came across another V2 Versace sportcoat today. Its in nice condition, and I know its not made in the US this time. However, the tag was ripped out, so I assume that will prevent me from knowing too much about it. Spoo or someone else, is V2 even worth picking up at $5? I get the impression its not very demanded.

I also picked up this awesome Burberry SC. It could almost pass as new. Too bad its too small for me at 38R.

And my final finds were a couple BB cotton V-necks and some nice casualish Zegna shirts. I was pumped about the Zegna's, as these are a nice thick, wintery cotton, and were only $1.50 each. I'm starting to build a nice wardrobe for myself
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads