• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh wow, well, this is where my noobishness gets me into real trouble. I have absolutely no idea what I should ask for for this. So I'll ask the community - what's a fair price for this? Really, I absolutely want to pass it on to someone else who can make good use of it, and I want to do so in a fair way. I don't want to threadjack, but it would be really helpful if people here could give me a good idea about what a fair asking price for this is. Anyone and everyone who doesn't mind helping me out, feel free to PM me with your impression of what's fair to ask for for this item. I will keep all correspondences completely confidential.

It's late on my coast, so is it ok if I check any messages I receive in the morning and can I message you back with a number then, Achilles? I'll also give the jacket another once over to make sure I'm not missing out on any flaws so I don't shortchange you, and I'll take better pictures (hopefully with a better camera). So, can I get back to you tomorrowish on this?
Sounds good to me :)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No idea. I scoured it like a mofo, and there's not a spot on it. Actually, the BB tie in the pics was owned by the same guy. How do I know? There was still a dry cleaning tag attached to it with the same last name...and it was pristine as well. The fellow definitely had good taste.
Forgotten at the dry cleaners would be my guess. If you don't pick it up after so long, many will sell things in bulk to thrift stores. I've gotten a couple of shirts with the tags still on 'em, and at least one decent jacket.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Forgotten at the dry cleaners would be my guess. If you don't pick it up after so long, many will sell things in bulk to thrift stores. I've gotten a couple of shirts with the tags still on 'em, and at least one decent jacket.

Huh, never knew this but it makes sense. I just always figured that the rich guys dry cleaned their stuff before giving it to the thrifts as I've had some well-off people donate stuff when I worked at the Salvation Army and they'd always say "These were just dry cleaned, so don't worry. They're clean!". The stuff we find with the cleaners tags is likely a mix of the two situations.

Bartlebooth

Reaction score

Huh, never knew this but it makes sense. I just always figured that the rich guys dry cleaned their stuff before giving it to the thrifts as I've had some well-off people donate stuff when I worked at the Salvation Army and they'd always say "These were just dry cleaned, so don't worry. They're clean!". The stuff we find with the cleaners tags is likely a mix of the two situations.

I know of a few consignment stores that donate if you don't pick up something after it hasn't sold in the allotted time. A lot of the dry cleaners in SF just put a rack out on the street once a month or so. It hasn't yielded anything nice yet—its mostly women's clothes and gaudy English Laundry shirts—but I keep waiting for the day...

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd better go back and check on the H&S blazer I found at my nearby Goodwill, after this discussion.

TheODGuy

Reaction score
Some pick-up's this week:

Turnbull & Asser Contrast Collar French Cuff Shirt (15.5)
9869f8e8.jpg

8dd8924e.jpg

Loro Piana Cable Knit Cotton Sweater (44) - too large, most likely up for trade
3e24c9c8.jpg

d08ea9fb.jpg

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
Been a dry last couple weeks. I found a nice Kiton shirt in Cleveland while I was visiting my brother but that's about it. Oh, and today I found these AE Chesters. In pretty good shape and, most importantly, in my size!

If anyone in the NOVA area is interested, the SA in Manassas has a pair of AE Manchesters size 12 (they need a little care but are in otherwise good condition) and a pair of Florsheim Imperials in size 14 that come with shoe trees. I didn't take pics, sorry. They were there as of 12:00 PM today.

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Turnbull & Asser 3-piece, gray flannel, DB suit, date unknown. It's got some moth holes, but it fits me perfectly, so I had to get it, if just to wear for Halloween at some point. And who knows, maybe I'll see what a re-weaver could do at some point. It's really excellent.

Brown/tan herringbone, half-lined Harris Tweed SC with brown suede elbow patches. It's like new. [won't be keeping this one, it's probably about a 42R]

Beautiful, made-in-the-US "Imperial Haggar" , wool navy blazer with almost-tan brown leather buttons. Another perfect fit.

Also, a nice blackwatch 100% wool shirt from Pendleton that fits nicely. Sizable colllar. Will be a great overshirt.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a couple interesting items today.

- Speakman Anystream showerhead. This thing is built like a tank - heaviest showerhead I've ever seen. $200 retail, I'm gonna use some CLR on it (though it's pretty clean as it is as far as most used showerheads go) and test it out tonight. 64 different spray streams!

http://www.speakmanshowers.com/pub/shop/product/pid/14?opts=&cid=23

- NWT RRL Native American style leather vest. Found this right next to an overpriced and fairly worn Polo RL brown casual leather jacket. For $14, I had to buy it. Probably will be headed to Fleabay unless someone here is interested. Size L. I sure can't pull this off, but I'm sure someone could.

Not pictured:

- Masons British Khaki chinos. Nothing special, just need some nice casual pants for fall.

DSC09500.jpg

DSC09501.jpg

DSC09504.jpg

DSC09507.jpg

Hoofit

Reaction score
This is the first thing that I have found that is worth buying in a long time. There must be something about leather today. I can't see any markings of a brand or maker anywhere, but this bag is pretty nice, and i think it will only get better with time. This is fresh out of Savers just dusted off. Cant wait to see it once I get some Lexol on it.
Photo0179.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads