• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyakku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
Polo Ralph Lauren Made in italy 100% linen sport coat 3 button front

I had to convince the manager to sell me a hanger, Brooks brothers one for $2. they refused to sell me a neiman marcus one.

and i got a hickey freeman plaid OCBD for $10 at a "vintage store"

Where in socal are you?

Also, let me know if you are trying to sell that, the color and size on that.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downeasta
Vintage Burberry trench coat, worn maybe once? $3

You should sell it to me if its a size 44
biggrin.gif

dk_ace

Reaction score
Well this is my first post on the forum, so thank you to all who post here as I've learned a great deal in a very short time! I stumbled upon the forum as I had decided to dress better for work and was doing some searching.

I'm quite short of funds, so this resolution has been a tricky endeavor. Much of what I've bought is stuff that you guys would have passed on, but time was of the essence and money is tight so I couldn't be too picky. I'm starting from scratch basically, so I've needed a lot of staple items to get started. Discount stores and thrifts were the obvious choice for me given my situation. I've yet to find any of the very rare stuff you guys find, but I'm happy with what I have come across so far.

So here's some of what I've found so far:

My first purchase (the one that started the madness): An old, neglected pair of BrassBoot italian captoes for $2. They are a much higher quality shoe than anything I've had in recent memory, and they only cost me $2 and a lot of elbow grease bringing them back to their former glory.

Oscar De La Renta navy blazer - 100% wool $4. I know the brand is nothing special, but it fits very well and I didn't have a blazer.

Lots of decent dress shirts snagged for $4-$6. Decent meaning the better mall brands fwiw. No Zegna or anything particularly nice.

Unbranded sportcoat - $4. Fits like it was made just for me. It's 85/15 silk/wool. It was wrinkled beyond belief (I assume it had been wadded up in a trash bag for some time). I'm in the process of bringing it back to life following the thread on touching up your suit that's here somewhere. It's taking a very long time, but I'm going to be able to revive it. I wasn't sure it was possible, but I liked the jacket and it would only take $4 and some time to find out so I went for it.

Tom James executive collection wool trousers - $2

Bruno Magli Maioco captoes - $99 at Nordstrom Rack, new.

Lots of other stuff has been sniped from Burlington and the clearance racks at Dillards including a few decent suits (HSM). In just a couple of weeks I've been able to completely upgrade my work attire and I'm very happy with the transformation I've accomplished.

I'm starting to get better at spotting stuff in the thrifts, but there isn't a lot of good stuff to be found in my area. I figure persistence will pay off though...

D

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
I just left a BB Black Fleece jacket in a great color, in my size at the store. Issues:

a) It's a suit jacket and the pants were not there

b) There was weird crimping near some of the seams and the darts, as if overly aggressive dry cleaned?

c) It was $30, not super cheap to take the chance that I eventually find that suit pant pattern elsewhere.

d) did need some alterations for me (taken in at the waist, at least)

AAP

Reaction score
In the last week I've picked up a great gray herringbone tweed jacket ($6.00) that just needed a little alteration to the sleeves and, most excitingly, a Ralph Lauren navy blue blazer which fits perfectly - - for $3!

For someone who has lost 30 pounds over the last two years, it feels great to have a few decent jackets around that don't fit like I'm borrowing them from my much larger brother. I'm on my way to dressing like the responsible adult/father/husband I am. And best of all, guilt-free since they were so inexpensive!
smile.gif

A big "thank you" to the SF guys for helping out with brand awareness, materials, and tips.
worship.gif

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a BBGF orphan suit coat for $1 the other day. It still had the basting thread in it and is currently at the tailors being taken in a bit and given some buttons to make it pass for a blazer. You guys would probably still recognize it as an orphan, but it is still going to be one of the better quality pieces I have so far, and at $1, I couldn't pass.
blush.gif

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Interest Check - Found what looks to be a brand new (no box) or barely worn pair of 8.5 Allen Admunds Milans today. They are sweet looking black monkstraps. Unfortunately, they are only 3 full sizes too small for me...
frown.gif

I have to admit that I would have picked them up to flip if they were a little cheaper but at $70, it's not worth the trouble for a likely $20 in profit.

But, I'll pick them up for a fellow SF'er at that price plus whatever shipping turns out to be. PM me if you want me to grab them

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nm

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dk_ace
Well this is my first post on the forum, so thank you to all who post here as I've learned a great deal in a very short time!

I'm starting to get better at spotting stuff in the thrifts, but there isn't a lot of good stuff to be found in my area. I figure persistence will pay off though...

D

fistbump.gif

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JKMWCL
Oh, and to the wiser ones, what is a good technique for saving ties with harder creases or are they generally beyond salvation?

I find hanging them for an extended period of time will often cure the problem.

Otherwise, suggestions would include a tie press (either the old manual type with two padded boards, or the fancier modern Corby items), or perhaps placing it between two layers of thick cloth (towel?) and gently steam pressing it?

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
Decent haul today:

-Size 18 4/5 BB 346 cream colored shirt. It's a bit big on me, but I never find BB in new condition around here (if anybody is interested, let me know)

-Vintage tie in black and white with a pretty cool pattern

-Books, nice books too!

-As usual left some cool stuff behind that didn't fit. Woolrich heavy wool shooting shirt, Wrangler work shirt (XXL!) and a nice Palm Beach Prince of Wales check suit.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Good day today, I never see any jeans but I found a pair of Ernest Sewn jeans in my size in excellent shape for 4.99...never seen really good jeans at a Goodwill. Also a light blue, Carolina blue Canali patch pocket sport coat. Will go terrific with my white bucks this spring!

Also a Hart Schaffner Marx overcoat in excellent condition, 42L, anyone interested?

Oh yeah, forgot to add that in the crap sunglass bin I found a pair of Polo Ralph Lauren made in Italy eyeglasses. Fit my round face perfectly. Ironically I have an eye appt tomorrow so I'll be getting lenses for them. They cost 50 cents....LOL

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to the thrift this AM, and aside from the fact there was not one item I was interested in, I noticed that there was a beat up BB Brooksease blazer. Price? $69.99.
eek.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Left a Holland and Sherry Tom James suit. Charcoal with a lighter red stripe. Not red but not pink. I can't describe it. 46 or 48L. It looks like either a MTM or bespoke. 2003 model. Great condition except there is a small stain on the lapel. Can be taken out from the cleaners. How do I know? My uncle owned a dry cleaners while growing up so I know what can be taken out and what probably cant. Single vent. Surgeon cuffs? I forgot to check. Let me know if you want to proxy b/c I can pick it up tomorrow if it's still there. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads