• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

idrinkwater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrAndrew
First real post. I thought this would be appropriate here. Just picked it up for $3 at a nearby thrift shop. Satin navy in flawless condition.

p774550850-4.jpg

p741361666-4.jpg

NOOB QUESTION. IS THAT AN RL TIE WITH A LABEL THAT HAPPENS TO BE PURPLE, OR IS IT AN RL PURPLE LABEL TIE?

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Dayton's (Minneapolis) purchased Schuneman's (St. Paul) around 1960.

It was on Sixth and Wabasha.

Before my time, but my mother would point it out when we went downtown.

Daytons was a great store.

PS- went thrifting today....found a Isaia shirt for $2.95, then 3 Burberry London Shirts $3.95-$6.95, last Zegna shirt $3.95.

Fun, fun, fun!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Dayton's (Minneapolis) purchased Schuneman's (St. Paul) around 1960.

It was on Sixth and Wabasha.

Before my time, but my mother would point it out when we went downtown.

Very cool. I never knew about Schuneman's - though I have heard the name thrown around before.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrAndrew
Pretty certain it's an RL Purple Label, but I'm a noob too. Says "hand made" in a separate tag.

This is correct, it is a RLPL.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
For a noob thrifter, those are excellent finds! I've been thrifting for the better part of 5 years and I'd be ecstatic about that haul. Keep up the great finds!

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eugine
Many thrift stores have regularly scheduled discount days. Many shops do color coded ... Thrift store shopping is a simple abundance with bragging rights.
i don't even pay attention to those, i mean the stuff is cheap enough as it is, and there are alot of people just looking for clothing to wear not paying attention to designers or anything on days when they have stuff marked down. Well in my area since it is a lower income type place I don't want to wait in a line at a thrift store!

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
Great finds, I can't help but think of "London Calling" though whenever I see albums with that title color scheme
laugh.gif

+1

que

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
I tried searching, but I didn't get any good results.

If some of you NYCers don't mind revealing your secrets, where are some good places to thrift in NYC?

have you tried this site thethriftshopper.com

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

que

Reaction score
Went to the seamstress to have pants cuffed and hanging up front was this coat. After overcoming language barrier, she insisted that i try coat on, and it fit me. Ended up getting pants cuffed and this cashmere coat for $20.

Xenos

Reaction score
Although I wasn't the one who asked the question, thanks for that response, que. I'm not trying to swoop in on anyone's territory, but I'm wondering whether we are talking about Goodwill and Salvation Army stores or more local vintage shops. I haven't done any real thrift shopping in years but during that period, I got a bunch of cardigans, banlon shirts, Hawaiian shirts and one beautiful silk robe. Some of these things I still wear 15 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 105 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads