• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ F&H is really nice stuff, from what I've read about it. If the jacket looks like it could be a sportcoat or could be worn as a sportcoat (a more bold windowpane), isn't dated and if the price is right, I'd grab it. A re-weaver could probably fix the holes. If it looks like it's from a suit, check the mens and womens pants racks for the trousers.

mat135ta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ F&H is really nice stuff, from what I've read about it. If the jacket looks like it could be a sportcoat or could be worn as a sportcoat (a more bold windowpane), isn't dated and if the price is right, I'd grab it. A re-weaver could probably fix the holes. If it looks like it's from a suit, check the mens and womens pants racks for the trousers.

Thanks for the opinion. I did look very quickly in the man's pants racks and didn't find the pants. Somehow the fabric of the jacket is very stiff, and the fit is a bit odd (it doesn't fit me), so I didn't pick it up. I will buy it if it is still there next time I visit the store.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Was seriously considering picking up a grey orphaned brooks brothers makers suit

anyone want it?
i think it was a 42R

rayxlui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Yeah, I'd get back there ASAP. Who knows, maybe more have been put out. Thankfully both labels aren't very well known, so they may be passed over by the casual flipper.

Decided to go check for the Zilli today and lo and behold, they put out another one. Two Zilli, one Buruni. I'd say it's been a good day.

Cotillion

Reaction score
A great limited day at the thrifts. I stopped by a local shop I had not seen before and started rummaging around as I realized I forgot my wallet, would have to drive home and only had $15 on me. The prices seemed a bit odd, $30 for a used Haggar suit?!?!? Really?
About to give up I spot another rack of sports coats and to my amazed I find a Kiton sports coat in what looks like good condition. I pay only $12 for it and get home and see that it is too large for me. Ugh.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size?
biggrin.gif

rayxlui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cotillion
A great limited day at the thrifts. I stopped by a local shop I had not seen before and started rummaging around as I realized I forgot my wallet, would have to drive home and only had $15 on me. The prices seemed a bit odd, $30 for a used Haggar suit?!?!? Really?
About to give up I spot another rack of sports coats and to my amazed I find a Kiton sports coat in what looks like good condition. I pay only $12 for it and get home and see that it is too large for me. Ugh.

worship.gif

Can I call dibs if it's 38-40R
biggrin.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mat135ta
Today I saw a Fallan & Harvey windowpane jacket, that could be from a suit. It has two small moth holes in the left chest area, so I didn't buy it. Should I go back and pick it up?

The danger with such holes is that if you find two, there are probably more. Plus other bits could be damaged in a way that cannot yet be seen.

Pass.

Cotillion

Reaction score
I should add that I just discovered a minor stain on the Kiton jacket pictured below and I will have to take it to dry cleaners to see if it will come out:

219rss4.jpg

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cotillion
I should add that I just discovered a minor stain on the Kiton jacket pictured below and I will have to take it to dry cleaners to see if it will come out:

Save your money if you're selling it to one of us (hint, hint) I can tell that one will come out easily. You'll probably want to send it if you're putting it on eBay or the B&S.

hmmurdock

Reaction score
Hit two new spots yesterday....came away with a Canali blazer from each (solid dark navy/possibly black and the other a light brown windowpaine). Unfortunately both a little big on me. They are 44L if anyone has any interest.

Xenos

Reaction score
Going through the suit racks at GW last night, flipping past Vestimenta, Emporio Armani, etc., all in 44L, I thought "why couldn't this giant have donated a Brioni?" Next jacket? Brioni. DB, side vents, great earthy windowpane pattern. Not my size, but thought I might be able to flip it. When I got home, I was a bit less enthusiastic when I discovered it was a 6x1, not the 6x2 I thought when I bought it. Ugh.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Save your money if you're selling it to one of us (hint, hint) I can tell that one will come out easily. You'll probably want to send it if you're putting it on eBay or the B&S.

This - drycleaning will just be a waste of money. Take a wet towel and "scrub" it out, then hit it with a blow-dryer on high. This method has never failed me on suits/sportcoats with minor spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads