• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, not clothing, but this book, with a very charming old dog portrait left in it, probably as a bookmark:
DSC00143.jpg
DSC00144.jpg
The book's published in 1938, - I suppose that fits with the photo as well.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

blueorigami

Reaction score
On Saturday I found not 1 but 2 Hermes ties which is always a nice surprise. They came at the first store visited after ignoring the protests of my thrifting associate who wanted to call it a day after only 3 stops. One is a nice green with blue and yellow pandas (2 dollars) for the WWF (not exactly the height of whimsy but better than most Hermes I've stumbled across.) The other is a lovely red with a truly hideous print of stripes and belt buckles (a rather substantial 3.50 due, I think, to a Neiman Marcus tag sewn onto the back near the "7510 IA" .) Though not exactly office material, it's certainly good enough to be a fun "belt" for the Mrs. Two more stops yielded some perfectly fine, hand-rolled silk pocket squares by "Jim Thompson" and a Luciano Barbera shirt in purple and yellow checks.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This last week I've visited two thriftstores, and scored some pretty good stuff. At one they must have gotten a huge shipment from somewhere, becuase they had tons of them in most sizes of Grant Thomas pants, brand new, with the $130 tags still on them. I got 6 pairs for $5 each. At that same thrift store I bought a couple ribbon belts for $2.

At the second thrift store, it had just opened, and had tons of great stuff. I bought some Allen Edmond sharkskin shoes for $10, and perfectly fitting sportcoat for $5, a new blazer for $10, but I cna't remember the brand. They also had lots of other stuff, but I don't have enough time to try reselling.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VMan,
Now I know where the other good stuff goes!
I have found some sweeet stuff at that store, plus the other thrift store is right by there, I have found a nice Zegna suit there and some Borrelli shirts there.
Is there any other sweet spots to hit?
pm that to me, cant give up all the goods in public.
What size are you, Ill keep an eye out for hot action for you.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blueorigami
On Saturday I found not 1 but 2 Hermes ties which is always a nice surprise. ...Two more stops yielded some perfectly fine, hand-rolled silk pocket squares by "Jim Thompson" and a Luciano Barbera shirt in purple and yellow checks.

To combine your Hermes finds with VMan's tie, I came across a fake Hermes tie last week. While going through ties I saw it and just threw it over my shoulder for consideration when I was finished browsing ties. I did think at the time that I'd never seen an Hermes that wide. Later when giving it a once over it was quite obviously fake, too wide, poorer quality silk, jacquard weave tipping and no number printed on the narrow blade.

I picked up a Jim Thompson pocket square on ebay a few weeks ago. I was not familiar with him; I'll try to track down a picture, but I'm away from home at the moment.

blueorigami

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I like the Jim Thompson story: OSS operative, silk merchant and mysterious disappearance:

http://www.jimthompson.com/index.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thompson_(designer)

I have a couple of ties that an ex-gf brought back from Thailand. Very nice, crisp silk.

Now I wish I hadn't cut the tags off
laugh.gif
. Crisp is definitely a good way to describe the silk. The prints however are a different matter. One of them reminds me of a bacteria culture, but in a timeless, classy way.
tounge.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just scored a couple things today:

avirexgoatskina2tr9.jpg

Avirex goatskin A-2, nearly perfect - barely any pilling on the inside of the waistband even. $45... suckers. 38L so the sleeves are even long enough.

wranglercottondrillshirry1.jpg

Wrangler black cotton (!) western shirt with black snaps - I've been looking for a black cotton western shirt for like 4 years now. $12.

Other recent stuff...

siegelcoatandorianshirtwe8.jpg

Jacob Siegel (makes for Nordstrom) 100% Loro Piana superfine lambswool overcoat - $can't remember, 30?

Orian (ever heard?) tomato-orange melange chamois? cotton BDC shirt, made in Italy, looked brand new. $7 Looks great on me, would love to pick more of these up for fall.

orianshirtcloseoy1.jpg

Plenty more to come...

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I just scored a couple things today:

wranglercottondrillshirry1.jpg

Wrangler black cotton (!) western shirt with black snaps - I've been looking for a black cotton western shirt for like 4 years now. $12.

I just got this same shirt off ebay for about $20 w/shipping.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UWS Housing Works was kind this weekend - 3-roll-2.5 Luciano Barbera sb windowpane charcoal suit, double vents, 38R (I'm a 38S, so there's going to be some length altering; it otherwise fits like a GLOVE) - $55 Blue Paul Stuart 7-fold tie - $8 Purple Paul Stuart self-tipped tie - $6
IMG_0978.jpg
PS - If anyone wears a 42-long, there were about six Mr. Ned (scabel 100s) suits; 2 DBs and 4 peak lapel SBs. Each for between $65 and $75. All in fantastic condition and absolutely gorgeous looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads