• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit x "Single White Female" treatment of SeaJean

Deets:
Zegna jacket (via Nataku I believe)
no name PS (Spoo)
14K Hamilton (thrifted by me)
AE McClain (factory seconds)
BB medium gray gabs (deep discount)
Panthrerella socks (STP)
CT shirt
not pictured: RB Wayfarers (estate sale)

When did you thrifted the 14K Hamilton?! That's so awesome! If you don't mind me asking, would you please PM the price you paid for it? Nice outfit! Really cool! Gonna steal this idea for a fit!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to derail but this is the only thread that I live on. So, here it is! If you were a kid in the 90's, you'll appreciate this!

HOLY ****!

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When did you thrifted the 14K Hamilton?! That's so awesome! If you don't mind me asking, would you please PM the price you paid for it? Nice outfit! Really cool! Gonna steal this idea for a fit!

IIRC, it was $14.99, still in the box looking unworn. Inscription on back to an employee of Standard Oil of California on his 30th anniversary. May 1974.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pnutpug, with all due respect (i mean that too) i don't think any postal inspector, us atty, etc would do anything in this instance. anyone he'd talk to would say "talk to paypal." telling eddie to do any of that (even while acknowledging that it's a tough road to hew) is just not realistic.

You are right--neither the postal inspector nor the U.S. attorney is likely to do anything, even though prosecuting mail fraud (which is what this is) is their job. My point is, was, unless the person who was ripped off is willing to simply write off the loss, he really doesn't have much choice, so far as I can see. As I said, hiring a lawyer would cost substantially more than the loss incurred. What I was trying to convey is, if the seller wants to be made whole, he, at the end of the day, will likely have to rely on someone with enough juice to get postal inspectors and prosecutors off their asses if, as is likely, they don't do anything. That person with the power is an elected representative. The reason you go through the time and trouble to make a complaint and follow up on it is so that when you do call your congressman, you can demonstrate that you've exhausted all other means, and you have the documentation showing that. That's going to be the best bet. And we all know, or should know, that PP isn't going to do squat unless pressured to do so by someone who holds a stick instead of carrot, which doesn't mean that you don't at least try. But the odds aren't good.

To repeat: You aren't, really, talking to the postal inspector or the U.S. attorney when you make the initial complaint/contact, you're building a case for down the road when it does go to someone who can get something done on your behalf. It'll take a lot of time and effort, and there are no guarantees. A lot depends on who represents you in Washington, D.C. But it's impressive, actually, what can get done by a senator or a congressman in an instance like this. A single "oh ****" letter to the ripoff artist written on official stationary could make the difference here.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, it was $14.99, still in the box looking unworn. Inscription on back to an employee of Standard Oil of California on his 30th anniversary. May 1974.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
wow.gif
drool.gif
I'm thinking you've authenticated it? That is such an awesome find!!! If you ever get sick of it, you know who to PM!

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My other thrift watch is a battered Seamaster Cosmic that Nataku picked up. I had a jeweler bring it back to life for a couple hundred bucks.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is fake, right? Consignment had two of these suits. Lining and buttons all had the Armani logo all over, but the whole thing just felt cheap and shoddily made to me.

F8135CBA-9EB7-4AFB-9BA0-C0BA4794B876-621-00000035C2094AC3.jpg

EDIT: Now that I look at it closer, the whole thing looks ridiculous. "Western-style clothes."
rotflmao.gif
This is barely a step higher than these two fakes. Notice the similar construction.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

This is barely a step higher than these two fakes. Notice the similar construction.
I wish I would have taken a picture, but I saw a ridiculous "Versage" shirt the other day. Shiny satin and horrible construction, not to mention that it was VERSAGE, not VERSACE.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is fake, right? Consignment had two of these suits. Lining and buttons all had the Armani logo all over, but the whole thing just felt cheap and shoddily made to me.

F8135CBA-9EB7-4AFB-9BA0-C0BA4794B876-621-00000035C2094AC3.jpg

EDIT: Now that I look at it closer, the whole thing looks ridiculous. "Western-style clothes." :rotflmao:

My understanding is that the eagle logo is only used on the Emporio stuff, not Collezioni.

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thrift fit x "Single White Female" treatment of SeaJen

I'll have to keep a watch out for suspicious Steve McQueen-looking dudes.

I like the addition of the PS, btw. I haven't got the hang of PS yet...my colleagues already think I'm going for an interview everyday.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is going to be a whole building filled with incredibly stuffy people in penguin suits. There's no small amount of sartorial sardonism going on here. Last time around I wore my white tux and everyone thought I was a Bond villain.

It.

Was.

Awesome.

(Edit: And I'll have the black jacket with me, if I feel like reverting after the cocktail hour. But frankly, a few martinis is going to make me more, not less, likely to ROCK THE VLAD)

This screams custom handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads