• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fishy is going thrifting... for a different kind of quarry!

So after two trips across the country, the rolling duffel used as a carry on bag has failed spectacularly. Last time I buy cheap luggage. I am flying back home on the 12th and absolutely need a bag for carry-on. I figure the most economical option is to thrift it.

Goodwill and salvation army typically have luggage of some kind. What brands should I look for?

Also:
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
to you sir!

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Wow, totally forgot about Krell. My buddy's father was a lawyer and got paid with something like $18k in Krell gear for a case he worked. When the parents weren't home, we'd crank the **** out of it. Still wonder what happened to that set up when he went to prison...

mrcmcklwht

Reaction score
Got these from a girlfriend in the nineties, hope to one day get invited to a hippie-theme costume party or something so I get to wear them one time

half lunatic

Reaction score
Thanks eazye! Love the thrift fit posts btw.

^^^^^^ I'd say that's a damn fine start!

Thanks! Those two ties were my noob mistakes. I havn't worn the trousers yet but they feel amazing, big change from wearing polyester mix clothing lol.
agreed. I like those Etro trousers. I'm not too hip on the Polo and Versace ties but it's a good haul regardless.

Mr_Elusive

Reaction score
Looking for some good condition dress shoes in 9.5, welted, cognac or walnut coloured with broguing. Like an AE Strand. Whatchu got? Get at me!

hollaatchaboy.jpg

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been searching for this jacket for at least 2 years. Unfortunately, although it is sized 44, it does not fit me. I did get it zipped, but trust me it was all wrong, LOL. There will be no fit pics of that disaster, you would all have to pluck out your eyes and burn your monitors.

1970's Schott Perfecto 613

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is this a good "colaboration"?

Not so fast, haters...

I came across a top coat awhile back that was a CD-HSM collaboration and it flipped easily--in fact. enough interest that I could have squeezed another $20 or so out of it. It was claimed within a few hours on AAAC. There was no fabric content indicated, but I'm pretty darn sure it was cashmere, and the buyer was happy. Another member here kindly found a newspaper article on the CD-HSM collaboration, which started in 1973. Not sure how long it lasted, but the suits described in the story cost between $875 and $1,200 in today's dollars, which suggests a certain level of quality.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been searching for this jacket for at least 2 years. Unfortunately, although it is sized 44, it does not fit me. I did get it zipped, but trust me it was all wrong, LOL. There will be no fit pics of that disaster, you would all have to pluck out your eyes and burn your monitors. 

I think those run small in general. There's a non-Schott version of the same jacket in a vintage store near me. It's either a 44 or 46, but fits me (40-41R) pretty well. I have a Harley and have been drooling over the jacket for a while, but they want about $120 for it and that's more than I want to spend.

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ocooney (what a dude!) sent me motoracer which fits great and it is a 48. You have to go 2-3 sizes up with Schott.
I also found a very interesting brown distressed leather car coat made by Comet ( I think they now make racing leathers) for a NYC shop. It has similar closure like yours, zipper sleeves. Two zippers in the back opens and lets you ride.
It is a size Medium, but very small except the shoulders. I even wondered of it is a women's but shoulders and zipper location is men's. I will post pics.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice, I just sold the one i found for big $$$$$, hard to let go, but not quite what I was looking for. It was a 38 and fit like a 38 though.

lastdonb

Reaction score
Thought I found some AE Leeds shell Cordovan, model number matched the shell sheet, but there was micro creasing. For $8 picked up anyway, can always return. Further review leads me to believe these Leeds are not shell. The on line Issuu catalogs from 1985 showed a 9548 in polished burgundy, couldn't remember what year the changed the inside orientation of the logo (Wes?).

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score
Same GW, picked up four BB makers, Italian fabric ties, like new, 4" x 58", one had a different BB tag:

An interesting Zegna, the character looks like a ghost:

Square end knit that has the maker tag removed:

And a VINTAGE 5" Turnbull & Asser:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads