• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staatsoper
...My brother and I were out thrifting on Wednesday, and at the local Goodwill found an essentially perfect Henry Poole Savile Row double-breasted dark blue herringbone suit, $24.95. It's dated 1953...

worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dude, enough already: we're ALL coming to Minneapolis!

Ya seriously. I think I'm going to move up there. You guys are always scoring big... disgusting! What kind of thrift store is it? Is it a chain, or some independent shop that attracts high end donations? Can you do us a favor and only start posting about 1/10th of your usual haul? It will make us feel better...
wink.gif
RE: that Poole - how about those buttons? Very cool! And very cool suit. What a great score!

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
biggrin.gif
It's a chain, which is surprising. I actually have no idea where all this stuff came from, as the part of town it's in is decent, but not the type of area you'd expect this stuff to come from. I've had very little luck at this chain's other locations.

Is it a national chain? I mean, would NYC have these? Also, the '00' on the Brioni is definitely MTM. Nice scores Nat. I like that Cuccinelli in particular ... I've not seen much BC when thrifting.

Iceball

Reaction score
Ooooh. Good finds, that cashmere Brioni is very tasty. I've abandoned thrifting in England, not worth the hassle the best things I ever found were a couple of Canali jackets and a Zegna a couple of years ago.

Doorstop

Reaction score
Strange Thanksgiving week for thrifting,

I sent the wife ahead to the family place so she could do some shopping with friends, and the daughter (maddie, she's three, and a good thrifting mascot, since I can put ties on her) and I came down the next day at a leisurely pace, hitting thrifts of the towns between where we live and my folk's place that were large enough to have a thrift store (2 total). I figured small towns might cough up at least some serviceable vintage florsheims, and maybe an occasional decent tie or something.
So stop one yields a Brooks Bros blazer in gray and a nice Robert Talbott tie. Figure I'll hit the suits, and pull a Belvest 2b in chocolate brown, in perfect shape. So my appetite for small town Goodwills was whetted.
Stop two is better, 2 more brooks blazers, one brown with a deep green windowpane, and a brown houndstooth, and a Brioni button down (this one freaked me out, the town is less than 15000 folks)
Stop three is my hometown, which yields a pair of old but in good shape Florsheim Imperials in what looks like shell cordovan (no smaller wrinkles in the larger ripples) and two golden fleece polos.
Stop four was my favorite, as it was the smallest and most rural of the stores. And it coughed up a grey checked Givenchy suit that fits me well, an Oxxford 'cashwool' blazer in gray, a couple of brooks button ups in colors i didnt have (yellow, lilac), and then the tie rack coughed up two thrifting firsts for me: an Hermes (royal blue with sailboats) and a T&A in pastel diamond pattern. I was giggling the entire time I was there, and will definitely hit all these again when I go home for Xmas.

doctorj!

Reaction score
Went to a consignment shop today.

They were having a bit of a sale, but the place usually has good prices to start with. Spent a total of $200

RLPL Peach/red shirt NWT
Loro Piana soft 100% cotton shirt
2 Zegna Shirts
1 Zanella Pants
1 Sartori NWT fully lined pants (this was obviously the most expensive of the bunch)

And via the phone bought a Loro piana storm system "20k" roadster jacket for $250.
Ankur

pejsek

Reaction score
I should take my Father-In-Law to the airport more often. Being happily car-less, I don't tend to go out of town on a whim. But yesterday I spent a couple of rewarding hours poking around San Mateo county. First find was a Chipp jacket in a tan and moss green shetland. A true Anglo-American classic 3/2 undarted sack with great polished bone buttons dated 4/66. $16 Impeccable condition. As if that were not enough, a couple of stops later I unearthed a great Edward Sexton suit from 1988--db in medium-scale charcoal PoW plaid with vibrant blue windowpane; 6X1 pseudo-Kent buttoning (cut nearly to the second row of buttons but lacking the vestigial buttonhole). $16.99 The suit carries both a customer's order tag reading Edward Sexton Savile Row as well as a Wilkes Bashford label, which leads me to believe that Sexton once traveled using WB as one of the stops.

Great finds, everyone. Congratulations on hitting that motherlode, Nataku. Sometimes when it rains it does indeed pour!

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
tumblr_ktuqgpRqww1qa2j8co1_500.jpg

A few pocket squares from a thrift in San Francisco. Nice to be home for the holidays.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a new stop today. There was more Oxxford than I could shake a stick at. There were at least 12 Oxxford suits and several sportcoats. Some were dated, and many not my size. But I still grabbed a 100% silk herringbone sportcoat in black and white - very cool. Also a deep blue houndstooth with dark red overcheck - I'd been looking for this pattern forever. Also, a nice pair of Canali trousers. But best of all, THREE Chester Barrie for Saks 100% cashmere sportcoats. One in navy, one in cream (w/ MOP buttons), and one in a caramel tan (much like a dark camel hair). All three were obviously from the same donor. The fabric is incredibly soft. They'll need some tailoring, and I might not keep all three, but for now I'm pretty pleased. All in $70.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads