• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Yep, its on 50th. Its not as nice, but I have found some crazy deals there.

Fashion Ave has some really amazing pieces that will be well discounted in a month or so FYI.

When I say amazing, I mean really amazing stuff at FA, but has to hit 50% off to be worth it.

Originally Posted by Nataku
Yup - they had a bunch of recent Oxxford, Brioni and Isaia suits the last time I was there. They were all 46-48 somethin' though.....

ffffuuuu.gif
STOP!!! Do you know how expensive a plane ticket to Minnesota is?
laugh.gif

I can't imagine Oxxford, Brioni and Isaia:
1) in my size (46R)
2) at those kind of prices in a resale shop.

I thrift only because the two men's resale shops we have in Dallas have those kinds of suits at $800+. Hell, one has a few Kitons at $1700 each!

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
ffffuuuu.gif
STOP!!! Do you know how expensive a plane ticket to Minnesota is?
laugh.gif

I can't imagine Oxxford, Brioni and Isaia:
1) in my size (46R)
2) at those kind of prices in a resale shop.

I thrift only because the two men's resale shops we have in Dallas have those kinds of suits at $800+. Hell, one has a few Kitons at $1700 each!

I'm in Dallas and I found a thrift store with some pretty good suits. In fact, I found a lovely Lanvin there this week that's probably around your size. Since we are different sizes, I will let you know where it is if you will clue me in on some other good stores I can check out
bigstar[1].gif

Volsgradstudent

Reaction score
Yup - they had a bunch of recent Oxxford, Brioni and Isaia suits the last time I was there. They were all 46-48 somethin' though.....

Some of us would love to find Brioni and Isaia in 48...........

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recent Oxxford in 48 R. Can ya help a brother out?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orphaned solid black Golden Fleece jacket with patch pockets that i will certainly be wearing as a blazer no matter what any of you say. Fits me like a glove. If i had been able to hunt down the pants I would have flipped.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good day today...

Barba shirt, mint - $7 (my first Barba anything... the handwork on this shirt is impressive!)
Luciano Barbera shirt - $4
Luciano Barbera tie - $4
Canali trousers, mint - $4
Incotex (made in Italy, 150s), mint - $13
100% Cashmere, navy Oxxford sportcoat - $10

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Recent Oxxford in 48 R. Can ya help a brother out?
If you 46-48L guys are really interested, I may be out in that area in the next week or two. The regular prices weren't that good IMO. $400-$650. I don't remember any solid staple colors (thought there very well could have been some, I didn't pay much attention), I just remember stripes and windowpane patterns. Nothing weird, though. Antirabbit may know more about how their discounting works, as I've only been in there a few times and only once saw a small sale rack. I'll snap a few photos and maybe they can do a phone sale. The men's suit/sportcoat section is small (decent size, but not overwhelming) enough for them to be able to figure out what you're reffering to.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you 46-48L guys are really interested, I may be out in that area in the next week or two. The regular prices weren't that good IMO. $400-$650. I don't remember any solid staple colors (thought there very well could have been some, I didn't pay much attention), I just remember stripes and windowpane patterns. Nothing weird, though. Antirabbit may know more about how their discounting works, as I've only been in there a few times and only once saw a small sale rack. I'll snap a few photos and maybe they can do a phone sale. The men's suit/sportcoat section is small (decent size, but not overwhelming) enough for them to be able to figure out what you're reffering to.

It works by date on the price tag, there is a sign on the wall, if the date is older than X the discount =X.
So, the Brioni for example was about $250.00 which was a solid staple in amazing fabric. The Oxxford was also very affordable and amazing.
The Isaia suits were not in solids.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few interesting things lately.

A couple of ties in an interesting Chinese brocade from the Shanghai custom tailor Tailor Zhu. There was a suit of his too, but I did not buy as it was Yao Ming-sized. The ties themselves are 62”.

A Boy Scouts of America shirt in the classic heavy olive cotton twill, only embroidered on the front and side with fantastically detailed flowers and fishes. I’d like to meet that scoutmaster! Label is Ong, which seems to be a small design house in NYC.

A heavy heavy pumpkin colored waffle knit crewneck cashmere sweater from Cruciani for Barneys NY. I think these retail for $600 or more. Weighs about 1.5 lbs.

A c. 1970 Neo-Edwardian custom coat of brown shiny material, double breasted, 12/6. . Yes, you read that right. 12/6. Tailor is James Bond. Yes, Bond.

A pair of red corduroy trousers made in Italy for Jay Kos. Wale is horizontal rather than vertical.

A couple of vintage Polo pieces with Ralph’s best transatlantic silhouette: double vent, ticket pocket, 6/2 DB with fat jauntily peaked lapels, but a softer ‘natural’ shoulder. One brown and tan checked flannel, another in a heavy navy worsted I can refit with blazer buttons. Both 40R, my size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads