• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for you gents since I value your opinions more than those outside this thread...

Grabbed this sweater a few weeks ago, seems like a perfect Thanksgiving sweater. What color shirt would you pair with it? (Reds are less pronounced than in pic).

You can almost never go wrong with light blue. It's a busy pattern so I'd stick with solid.

thriftydood

Reaction score
Some recent finds, most from this past weekend:

A green toggle-coat by Abercrombie and Fitch, made in Italy, with real wood toggles, horn buttons, throat latch, no A&F logos/markings on the outside (size M, available):

Unfortunately, the seams that hold the toggles are about to break. The top toggle is fine, but middle two are wearing down, and the bottom one is in terrible shape.

Ties:

Massimo Bizzochi (available), Stefano Ricci, Paul Stuart, Missoni

BB vintage Christmas tie, Brioni (available), Stefano Ricci, Berend Dewitt

ancient (I believe) madder by Drake's (available), Hermes, current BB #1 repp tie, vintage Talbott repp tie with woven hunting motif

A pair of really nice vintage odd pants by Daks--they feel like a tweed, beautiful pattern, flat front, cuffed, side adjusters (no belt loops), all wool (available):

Brooks Brothers vintage backless plaid silk vest (size Large, available):

A pair of jeans:

this pair has started to fade in spots (not available)

Another pair of jeans:

this pair is in pretty good shape, no noticeable fading yet (available)

A brown check sportcoat:

Burberrry London by Hickey Freeman (size 38 R, available)

Another flannel sportcoat:

working buttonholes:

ticket pocket:

3-roll-2:

double-vented:

can someone ID the maker?

not sure what I want to do with it yet--it doesn't fit me, so probably available

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Some recent finds, most from this past weekend:

A green toggle-coat by Abercrombie and Fitch, made in Italy, with real wood toggles, horn buttons, throat latch, no A&F logos/markings on the outside (size M, available):

Unfortunately, the seams that hold the toggles are about to break. The top toggle is fine, but middle two are wearing down, and the bottom one is in terrible shape.

Brooks Brothers vintage backless plaid silk vest (size Large, available):

Another flannel sportcoat:

working buttonholes:

ticket pocket:

3-roll-2:

double-vented:

can someone ID the maker?

not sure what I want to do with it yet--it doesn't fit me, so probably available

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

That vest is awesome!! Too bad the 28's arnt available for trade (nice find) and the RLPL...38R be ready for a flood of PM's If it was a 36 you'd already have one from me. Smaller size is HARD to find.

guyver00

Reaction score
Nice find of the RLPL, how come it's crossed off and 40 is written on it?. Too bad the vest is a large, been looking for a size M backless vest.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit today... Pretty pleased with the fit, not so much with the pics... Think I need to break out my tripod and use my eBay photo setup

Boglioli flannel blazer, eBay
Borrelli shirt from Klobber
Vintage Oscar de la Renta tie from the 1960's (still has the $30 price tag on it) thrifted by me
Howard Yount Italian flannels
Church's chocolate suede loafers traded from Patrologia

Evil Abed

Reaction score
You can almost never go wrong with light blue. It's a busy pattern so I'd stick with solid.

Had a feeling I might hear from you on this... Yeah that's what I figured. Thanks!

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ATLjon and other Atlanta residents,
I'm going to be there this weekend and want some shopping suggestions. I've been to Mashburn (though I'll probably go back) and I know Billy Reid is in walking distance. Where else should I go? NMLC? Looking for non-thrifts since I'll be with family and they don't have the patience to deal with me in a thrift and aren't into used clothing.

Mashburn and Billy Reid are fine if you have the money, which I don't. The Nordstrom Rack on Lenox near Roswell Road is pretty good, but I haven't ever found anything amazing there. I've actually never been to a Last Call here — it might be because the only one is OTP. I can't really think of anything good off the top of my head. You could stroll through Phipps to see how the rich people shop, I guess.

If your family will tolerate a Goodwill or two, that's a whole different ballgame...

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haha dude I am just messing around I will try to make more sense grammatically from now on, maybe throw in a period every now and then.

I'm just worried somebody who works in admissions at a college you apply to will find your SF posts. Then it's Cal State - SF for you.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Super shout-out to Orgetorix for sinister herringbone blazer of darkness... :slayer:

Family says its my best purchase yet. Just tried to snap a pic, but card is full. :violin:

Heads will explode, but later.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx for all the feedback. The fit was inspired by pics on waywrn and the sf home page. I prefer patterns to solids; just seems more interesting. But I appreciate that not everyone agrees.

Ian: go Bears!

Also, are there multiple levels of Corneliani shirts? The one I bought today has plastic buttons. It says Corneliani I'd, then the t corneliani underneath. Did I m. Also, two more beat up Zegna shirts on the small side, a silk square for me, and a couple of items for my secret santa. Oh, and a Barbour shirt. Also plastic buttons. Weird.

CarlG

Reaction score
ATLjon and other Atlanta residents,
I'm going to be there this weekend and want some shopping suggestions. I've been to Mashburn (though I'll probably go back) and I know Billy Reid is in walking distance. Where else should I go? NMLC? Looking for non-thrifts since I'll be with family and they don't have the patience to deal with me in a thrift and aren't into used clothing.
http://www.millerbrothers.com/ is worth a visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads