• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
All this tux talk...
lurker[1].gif

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SPORTY THRIFT FIT PIC

Get up for this weekend's company golf outing.

Sweater - Pringle, thrifted by me $3.99 I know its a bit too small, but that makes it funnier.
Knickers - Woolrich, thrifted by me $3.99
Cap - Dockers, thrifted by me, probably the only hat in the world to fit my fat head. $2.99
Socks - purchased online for cheap, perfect match to the Pringle $9.99
Shoes - Adidas Adiwear Golf Spikes, purchased new on ebay with ebay bucks certificate. $5.00 after cert
Belt - Thrifted by me $3.99
Clubs - Ping Irons, thrifted by me $10
Bag - thrifted by me $20

Total cost - $59.95

Last edited:

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to a different store out of my usual loop today. Ran into a lot of things I wasn't sure picking up. Also ran out of time and picked up some stuff that I will end up returning. Here however is what is surviving, I think.

First up, for me so not available:

Second this shirt. I saw this brand at a consignment once, so I figured it was worth picking up. Google search places them at $99 new and they don't seem to do that well on eBay, should I add this to the returns pile?

Lastly, some Ferragamos. The logo in the bed looks a tad bit dated to me, these still worth the pick up? PTB with rubber sole and what feels like a steel toe? 10 1/2 D, Available.

I left behind 2x Facconnable shirts. One a pinpoint oxford in a 18 and the other an ugly alternating stripe in a 16, was that a mistake?

Last edited:

Vintage Leather

Reaction score
I'm up for a thrifty black tie

here in the SF area, it's year-round. :smarmy:
seriously though, i have no idea what you're talking about. do people in europe get dressed up and go to fancy balls, as a regular occurence? like in movies, where there's an old dude wearing a monocle, and there's some prince sitting alone at the table of honor, looking sad and pale? is this something that normal people do, or is it just for royalty?

In my area, black tie balls are between November and March. Tickets sell between $200 to $5000 a person, and they always benefit a charity. They can be fun - or really annoying. Depending on the event, they are either business networking events, social events with older couples, or full of husband-hunting divorcees.

Actually, the old man in the monocle is a cravate blanche dress code. It's pretty rare, in fact the only place that I can think of which has regular CB balls are the Scandanavian countries. The Nobel Ceremony ball is a CB and I think the Luxemborg wedding ball tomorrow will be a CB.

Mox C

Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads