• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

inmytree14

Reaction score
Nice little Saturday:

YSL navy blazer - nice and slim, don't think it's too old

Lanvin tuxedo - I know they're known mostly for their silk [and perfume], but opinions on their other men's items?

mbell

Reaction score
I haven't been finding too much of anything for months. And as others have noted, prices at some thrift stores are getting crazy. I'm seeing shirts and pants at $15-$20 in some places. I've had a few nice finds though:
A nice fall BB sport coat for $15. Been looking for something like it.
Very nice burgundy Zegna tie for $4. Left behind anther Zegna tie that was just too pink.

The best find is the BB suit pictured below for $8. Dual vent, fits like it was made for me, very soft wool and working button holes. Only two buttons on the cuffs, which made me think it was vintage at first but everything else seems to indicate it was made fairly recently. I guess the guy just had the cuffs made that way. A bit heavy for the climate here, but I think I can get some good use of the jacket as a sport coat.

bbsuit.jpg
bbcuff.jpg

mike

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
I haven't been finding too much of anything for months. And as others have noted, prices at some thrift stores are getting crazy. I'm seeing shirts and pants at $15-$20 in some places. I've had a few nice finds though:
A nice fall BB sport coat for $15. Been looking for something like it.
Very nice burgundy Zegna tie for $4. Left behind anther Zegna tie that was just too pink.

The best find is the BB suit pictured below for $8. Dual vent, fits like it was made for me, very soft wool and working button holes. Only two buttons on the cuffs, which made me think it was vintage at first but everything else seems to indicate it was made fairly recently. I guess the guy just had the cuffs made that way. A bit heavy for the climate here, but I think I can get some good use of the jacket as a sport coat.

bbsuit.jpg
bbcuff.jpg

mike

That's a great suit.

mbell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Nice finds. The two button cuffs and the tag on the BB suit you scored do indeed indicate it as vintage. I'm no BB expert but I think they started using a label on the inside pocket of the jacket with their script logo in the mid 90s.

The main reason I didn't think the suit was too old is the buttons in the pants are stamped radially "Brooks Brothers." I thought that practice was relatively recent, but I could certainly be wrong. The collar and lapel don't seem too old to me either, but again, I could be wrong.

There is an identical tag inside the jacket and pants. It lists the size 42LG 36W, 100% wool and has the numbers 86152 and 4013.

If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it.

mike

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Haha, actually that would be 83glt. I've only come across a Kiton once in my 8 years of thrifting
I guess I've been lucky with the Kitons, ties anyway. I've found 6 since January. And that sportcoat back in February. But that's been it. And frankly, I've been dry as a desert lately. I haven't had the time to get out as much, but when I have gone it's basically been a waste of a couple hours. Of course, my standards have gotten higher, and so have the prices (with all the news articles lately touting thrift shopping here in NYC), making it all the more difficult to find the good stuff. But, as many have said, it goes in cycles. Glad you guys are still getting hits... Nicely done on those RLPL ties Mannix. I saw those knit ones at the retail store and they are very attractive. Nice pick up.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I found a nice Gucci tie yesterday. I spied the guy that worked there trying it out. He walked it over to the tie rack and tried to hide it. I also found a NWT 'Pinto' tie handmade in Italy. Anybody know anything about these?

This weekend -

Gucci Tie
Pinto Tie NWT
Brooks Brothers bracers
Paris bracers
2 sets of silk Trafalgar bracers - one limited edition and one formal
Doc Martens 'For Life' work shoes NWOT
Boss White tonal french cuff dress shirt
Freudenhaus Sumner mens Eyeglasses
Dorfman Pacific Aussie hat

$30 for all

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbell
bbsuit.jpg
bbcuff.jpg

That is a beautiful find.

This weekend's haul:
  1. My Zegna streak continues: S/B Zegna sportcoat in an olive, burgundy, and teal houndstooth. Softer shoulder with a center vent. I didn't know Zegna had a model like that.
  2. Brooks Brothers Makers tie
  3. Austin Reed navy gab slacks
  4. Tessilstrona tan gab slacks
  5. vintage La Cuoieria Fiorentina briefcase
all for about $30

Why Thrifters Must Always Be Diligent:I was in church yesterday proudly sporting my recent finds of a Paul Stuart suit, Zegna dress shirt, Carrot & Gibbs ties, and especially, my AE Bradenton slip-ons. I was getting compliments and knew that no one but me was aware that they were thrifted gems. I get to the front and kneel at the railing only to remember that the thrift store had written "$12.99" in huge numbers with a black marker on the pale brown leather soles of shoes!
shog[1].gif

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
...Why Thrifters Must Always Be Diligent:I was in church yesterday proudly sporting my recent finds of a Paul Stuart suit, Zegna dress shirt, Carrot & Gibbs ties, and especially, my AE Bradenton slip-ons. I was getting compliments and knew that no one but me was aware that they were thrifted gems. I get to the front and kneel at the railing only to remember that the thrift store had written "$12.99" in huge numbers with a black marker on the pale brown leather soles of shoes!
shog[1].gif

lol8[1].gif
Priceless.

Lin

Reaction score
Latest finds at a brand new thrift in my area: Avventura Ostrich sz 11 loafers in golden camel color, buttery soft, $12.99; Armani funky graphic white/grey silk tie, $1.99. Prices overall seemed higher than at the older thrifts. At a different store, genuine Kate Spade black boarskin leather handbag, made in Italy, $7. Would like opinions: Are ostrich loafers considered desirable/stylish?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
I've been dry as a desert lately. I haven't had the time to get out as much, but when I have gone it's basically been a waste of a couple hours.

This is the worst time of year, generally.

Best time is is the first month of the year, when the stores are still processing the end of year tax deduction donations.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lin
...Would like opinions: Are ostrich loafers considered desirable/stylish?

Can you post pics? I've seen some at Neiman's I'd kill for and others at K&G I'd get killed for wearing.

To Sir with Love

Reaction score
Picked up a Jos. A Bank Signature Navy suit coat for $6 in unused condition. Now I just need to find matching pants.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Lunch run:
Recent (no mounted knight + has the signature plaid lining around the inside pockets) Burberry's S/B, single-vented suit. Gray sharkskin with a faint blue windowpane - $8
Sebago penny loafers, gently worn - $5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads