• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

there's some dummy in my town that rips through all the sportcoats' makers tags. like, every single jacket. like yeah, you ******* muppet, i'm real sure that unvented chaps jacket is gonna be made by someone worth a damn.

I don't know if this is something that people say or if you made it up but I like it enough that I'm going to work that little line into my vocabulary. I'll try it out today and let you know.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

there's some dummy in my town that rips through all the sportcoats' makers tags. like, every single jacket. like yeah, you ******* muppet, i'm real sure that unvented chaps jacket is gonna be made by someone worth a damn.

+ 1, annoying.

However, by far my biggest pet peeve, is people trying the stuff on when it is obvious beforehand it wont work. It one thing to have a near miss, quite another to miss by a mile. A huge fat dude needed his wife to help him take off a 40R jacket I had just looked at. He wanted the jacket because it was Hugo Boss but probably was thinking he could lose some weight. Judging by that debacle, he would need to lose all his weight, his entire mass (or at least 99% of it) :devil:.

Also saw a wee little chap try on a jacket around 10 sizes too big and then walk off with it. It was nothing special so I doubt he was a flipper but I did think to myself "for that jacket to work, steroids, a diet high in protein / saturated fat, and rigorous powerlifing sessions were urgently required. This would have to be conducted for several years of course, that is a given".

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Couple recent items

BB 100% Cashmere Navy Blazer

Herringbone Tweed(?) Aquascutum Sport Coat

Olive Pendleton Wool Jacket

Canali Peak Lapel Sport Coat. What's this pattern called?

codhead

Reaction score

Scored this beaut off British eBay for £70. It was tagged something generic like "grey suit in size 36R", when it was in fact a vintage Kiton suit! :slayer:

I often browse eBay.co.uk for the very same reason, it really is a delightful surprise to find the odd gem in there. That's how I managed to blag my Welsh & Jefferies DB overcoat, in absolutely mint condition that was tailored one year before my birth, for £15.00 shipped.

Last edited:

JohnnyMarr

Reaction score
I don't know if this is something that people say or if you made it up but I like it enough that I'm going to work that little line into my vocabulary. I'll try it out today and let you know.
Very popular word in England; has the same implication as, 'idiot', 'tit', 'knobhead', 'clown' etc.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also saw a wee little chap try on a jacket around 10 sizes too big and then walk off with it. It was nothing special so I doubt he was a flipper but I did think to myself "for that jacket to work, steroids, a diet high in protein / saturated fat, and rigorous powerlifing sessions were urgently required. This would have to be conducted for several years of course, that is a given".
Or maybe this

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or maybe this
:crackup: I remember that commercial. One thing that I see that is pretty funny is this dude who is obviously a flipper, I see him all the time, he always has a face-mask and gloves on, but also rocks ******* flip-flops. Like, dude is so worried about germs, yet he's not worried about the **** his feet are going to contract walking around dirty ass thrift stores in flip-flops? :brick:

aglass

Reaction score
Couple recent items
BB 100% Cashmere Navy Blazer

Herringbone Tweed(?) Aquascutum Sport Coat

Olive Pendleton Wool Jacket

Canali Peak Lapel Sport Coat. What's this pattern called?

Wow. Every one of those finds would make a great day for me. The Pendleton jacket is absolutely awesome!

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not a thrift find, but a definite grail find for me. nwot (pockets sewn shut; extra buttons still in envelope) Italian-made PRL navy sportscoat. double vented, tons of pick-stitching. ebay for $80 shipped. i'm a tough fit (42S), so thrifting for me is mostly a spectator sport, at least for sports coats (sweaters and outerwear can do ok).

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this awesome vintage, women's, Spiewak olive green, belted wool safari jacket today. Made in the USA. I really wish this were a men's. :brick: Size medium, if any of you fellas think your lady would wear this, get at me.

If you don't like vintage L.L. Bean stuff, don't open.
Vintage made in England, L.L. Bean ribbed military style wool sweater with shoulder and elbow patches. Size XL but these run really small, so I'll be keeping for myself.

div25sec9

Reaction score

+ 1, annoying.
However, by far my biggest pet peeve, is people trying the stuff on when it is obvious beforehand it wont work. It one thing to have a near miss, quite another to miss by a mile. A huge fat dude needed his wife to help him take off a 40R jacket I had just looked at. He wanted the jacket because it was Hugo Boss but probably was thinking he could lose some weight. Judging by that debacle, he would need to lose all his weight, his entire mass (or at least 99% of it) :devil:.

I picked up a Hugo Boss suit for a quick flip and listed it locally. This guy came and tried it on. He was maybe a 42S and the suit was a large 44. He was swimming in the jacket. The sleeves came down to his second knuckle and the jacket length was a good 4 inches too long; but he said his tailor could adjust it. I didn't blow the sale by arguing the point, but it still makes me wonder.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage made in England, L.L. Bean ribbed military style wool sweater with shoulder and elbow patches. Size XL but these run really small, so I'll be keeping for myself.

they prob put it through the washer and it shrunk so they donated it, that is why I never look at the tags of wool sweaters they can be misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads