• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I recently found one with the left-hand logo tagged S, but it was M-L sized. The length was bizarrely around 34". 

I posted about one I picked up for myself a while back. Size medium with 24" p2p... I was not happy.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This label was mentioned a little while back: it's different from the more common Polo version, but certainly genuine. They're also both current (pictures from the RL webstore):

I recently found one with the left-hand logo tagged S, but it was M-L sized. The length was bizarrely around 34".

Huh - so maybe mine really is an XL. Thanks for the info.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
If we were dueling types, Abed, you'd be dead in the street and I would would be shot in the belly. You're quick, just not quick enough.

If only I hadn't been posting from my iPhone at the time...

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snagged the first decent thing I've seen in weeks.

Made in Scotland Brooks Brothers tweed. Green, harris looking-thing. 46 R. It doesn't have a Harris Tweed patch, just a pure virgin wool tag. Fall 2006. Replacement leather buttons in pocket.

Pics later since I don't have my phone.

Get at me if it sounds interesting.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went back for the trousers for those two orphans I found the other day. No dice. But I DID find a nice Cantarelli for Faconnable glenplaid silk/wool blend, double vent jacket. Tagged 56 eur, but I didn't swim in it, so I suspect it's probably closer to a US 43 than 44. Will post pics when back from my business trip.

BTW, NAT: How'd you get around the "pics or it didn't happen" rule on your last post??? (Just ribbing you. You may well have explained and I missed it; relegated to skimming the thread now. Congrats on a dcecent haul)

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went back for the trousers for those two orphans I found the other day. No dice. But I DID find a nice Cantarelli for Faconnable glenplaid silk/wool blend, double vent jacket. Tagged 56 eur, but I didn't swim in it, so I suspect it's probably closer to a US 43 than 44. Will post pics when back from my business trip.
BTW, NAT: How'd you get around the "pics or it didn't happen" rule on your last post??? (Just ribbing you. You may well have explained and I missed it; relegated to skimming the thread now. Congrats on a dcecent haul)
Duh, it still hasn't happened yet.
lol8[1].gif

His last post was just foreshadowing.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Duh, it still hasn't happened yet. 
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

His last post was just foreshadowing. 

Well then I guess he has at least one thing in common with my high school girlfriend: He's a dirty, dirty tease.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He slipped by, that's how. In the barage of pic-less ebay posts, nobody noticed that his was an actual bragging post and thus ought to have pics.

I'd brag about the shoes I picked up over lunch, except I didn't take any pics yet. Anybody happen to know who makes brogues in Northamptonshire for ASOS? I know it'll be easier to tell once I have pics of the nail pattern. I promise, I'll put them up tonight, when it "happens."

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

That is my exact problem as well - two thrifted Tommy Bahama silk shirts with pit stains. I asked about this product a few pages back; no one here has tried it and I'm thinking of giving it a shot.  If you go for it I'd be very interested to hear your results.

I know you guys are all high on OxyClean fumes and I'm sure it's an excellent product. I just always use Biz and love the results. It's not 100% but damn it's erased so many memories of previous ownership of thrifted garments. For hardcore jobs, I soak 24 hours. I use a bucket and about a quarter cup. I pretreat by dampening the spot and then rubbing in the Biz powder and then mixing the rest into the bucket water. Then wash (I don't add any more detergent to the load, ha, that's enough when you dump the bucket into the washer -- even for a full load of usual laundry.

It does wonders on pit stains for me.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:laugh:

You got me there! I was completely worn out by the time I made the post. Didn't have the energy to take the pics. Today is a new day though. Just got back from a run before it gets too hot outside. Grendel is right though. That post was just the tip of the iceberg. Tons more stuff that I have set aside there that I need to whittle through. Will definitely be grabbing any CdG stuff I see when I go back tomorrow. Realized how stupid I was to leave it. All of it was very recent and made in Japan. :brick:

Here's some pics from the haul. Navy blazers are in the "eBay closet" at my brother's place where I store everything that I plan to sell. My wife hates clutter. I will get pics of those tomorrow hen I head over there. Brioni shirt is getting the "stain treatment" right now. .Everything pictured are keepers (hence why I had them here).

Purses (Pucci and Ltd. Edition Coach)

Polo sweater & Van Laack shirt. My bad, the VL is a spread, not cutaway. Was going off memory while posting as these. Passed on a VL shirt during my early days due to lack of knowledge. Kicking myself. Though there isn't any handwork, this thing is really well made and the fit is perfect.

Nicest pair of HF pants I've ever seen. I need to let them out about 1" in the inseam. Flat front. Trimmer fit. No cuffs.

Stoneware mugs, etc.

Salad bowl. Really happy about this. The wife has been asking me for over a year to keep looking for a nice salad bowl. Nothing I had seen thus far met my quality expectations. Then I found this for $7.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting lunch find of the day...

BAb2vl.jpg

H05XLl.jpg

Also, what is sartorioli by mabro? Or sant'angelo scarf? I did check the bay, but not a ton floating around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads