• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizard Swears

Reaction score
Funny thrifting story:

I was in a GW in Houston and I stumbled upon two crescent wrenches, one was 1 3/8" and one was 1 3/4". I picked them up and was thinking of what to do with them when I realized that they were perfect to keep in the truck for self defense (at least the 1 3/8" was - the 1 3/4" was too big and heavy).

So I'm swinging it a little when an employee walks up and sees what I'm doing.

Him: (unsure of what to think) "Finding everything alright?"
Me: "Yeah, everything's good."
(he leaves and walks up to another employee)
Him to the other person: (whispering, but loud enough for me to hear) "Don't f*** with that guy."

End note: The 1 3/8" fits perfectly between my seat and console and is perfect for plausible deniability with cops. Never had to use it though... The 1 3/4" is going on the wall in my man cave.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hey whoever had the "wear converse all stars for lifting" tip, thanks. Mexi? Never thought of it.
Just hit my basement power rack and did the squat workout. HAd been having weird balance and hurt issues with other sneaks. Cons worked perfectly (and I did more weight, deeper squats).
I totally admit that this effect could have been 100% psychological, but either way it was :slayer:
Hey, what is the general feeling on Valentino here on the thrift thread. One of those overrated marques? Good to wear/bad to flip? Good stuff?

i don't think it was me, it was whoever responded to my recommendation for merrel minimalist. but yeah chucks are definitely the best normal shoes to wear for squatz. i have crappy ankle and hip flexibility so i ended up getting a pair of proper lifting shoes, but chucks are definitely good. much better than running shoes, that's basically the worst. lifting shoes, barefoot, 5F's, chucks, merrell/NB minimalist, all are good, just depends on budget and flexibility. go deep on dem squatz, half squats don't count! :slayer:

also, i normally deadlift in shoes for warmup sets, then take em off for the heavy singles or worksets. it's kind of a mental thing, once you take the shoes off and chalk up IT'S GO TIME.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Polo made in the US 100% wool. Side vents, surgeon's cuffs, two button with ticket pocket. two pleats and cuff. Measurements below.
P2P = ~17.5 inches
BOC = ~30 inches
Shoulders = ~19.5 inches
Sleeve = ~23.25 inches
Pants
Outseam = ~41 inches
Inseam = ~30.75 inches
Waist = ~34 inches
Cuffs = 1.25 inches
I am open to interesting trades but not the undershirt you stole from screen legend Anthony Quinn while he was working out in the part.
Androfan and Ocooney have seen it live and can testify to exactly how baller it is. Trade for it and with in one weekend, Jeeves will be prepping the country manor for you weekend getaway with several close friends, closer bottles of scotch and cigars. In the mornings you will hunt grouse. In the afternoon whilst everyone naps, you will engage in all manner of chicanery, secret trysts and over all discreet comminglings. Dinner will be served by an open fire, with the staff bringing one succulent dish after another.

I'm trying to imagine the situation where somebody looked at that fabric and decided, "you know, I'll make this into a full suit". I'm having a hard time.

Also, those measurements are nuts.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
Hey buddy, I'm glad you found some cool stuff. But wisdom? Far from it...Just a few days ago, I made the ultra noob mistake of winning a Burberrys' blazer. I totally over paid for that and it was ill fitting. But that trench is pretty awesome since it has their signature tartan.

Burberry trench's are the one thing that are probably worth picking up with the old "Burberry's" tag. From my understanding, Burberry's and Aquascutum made some of the most popular and best quality trench coats for several decades back in the day. Someone can feel free to correct me on that. Plus they do pretty well on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/csc/Coats-Jackets-/57988/i.html?_nkw=burberry+trench&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

I wouldn't say that absolutely nothing with the Burberrys label is worth picking up. I once had a really nice condition Burberry's houndstooth blazer bid up to $130 or so on the bay.
Found a bunch of stuff but nothing too good. I passed on a bunch of stuff, too.

Pass

Found a bunch of HFs. Most are orphan pinstripe jackets. Pass

Boardroom! Pass

Not a bad mainline collection. Pass

I came across bunch of their vintage hand tailored line. Very nice but orphan pinstripe jackets. Pass

Pass

Pass

Corneliani NOICE!

DB orphan pinstripe jacket, NOT NOICE! Pass...

Tessuto Zegna 2 piece? First time seen one of these bad boys. Anyone knows info? Those greedy bastards want $40 for it! Hellz no! Pass

Pass

I usually don't even pay attention to these. Lately, I've been coming across tons of these. This one was actually pretty well fitting but the extra shoulders ruined it...pass

Ugly Z pass

Ugly Orvis. Pass

Ok, onto the stuff I kept. Belvest DB birdseye. Pretty sweet but most likely orphan.

GA hounds tooth DB. Most likely orphan

DB Canali Milano. Mostly likely an orphan.

Another HT.

Best find in last few weeks. HF collection with Loro Piana s120. It has a tiny hole in it.
Orphan, I think...Can't resist...

Weird lavin tweed (license perhaps) grossly out of proportion. Button stance way low and jacket way short. It has a Japanese tag on it. More like a fashion statement jacket. For some strange reason, I dig. Keepers.

Posting for kicks.

GF, "Look honey!"
Me, "Ewww, it has a nut stain on it!"
GF, "No one said it was free to get in a trekkie convention!"
Me, "HAHAHAHAHA!" *Slaps knee

Magee tweed

You're learning dude, nice work
thumbs-up.gif
. You probably should've passed on the Lanvin. I made a very similar Lanvin purchase once thinking I liked the style, but it eventually got re-donated. The BB Madison and HF collection for Nordstrom might have been worth picking up. It depends if they were orphans, and if they were what the patterns were like. I hope your hunting the pants rack to find the other half of suits, because I find them 50% of the time. If you don't find them, it can be worthwhile to check the neighboring stores. I've found suit pants and jackets at different GW locations a few times now.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score

Polo made in the US 100% wool. Side vents, surgeon's cuffs, two button with ticket pocket. two pleats and cuff. Measurements below.
P2P = ~17.5 inches
BOC = ~30 inches
Shoulders = ~19.5 inches
Sleeve = ~23.25 inches
Pants
Outseam = ~41 inches
Inseam = ~30.75 inches
Waist = ~34 inches
Cuffs = 1.25 inches
I am open to interesting trades but not the undershirt you stole from screen legend Anthony Quinn while he was working out in the part.
Androfan and Ocooney have seen it live and can testify to exactly how baller it is. Trade for it and with in one weekend, Jeeves will be prepping the country manor for you weekend getaway with several close friends, closer bottles of scotch and cigars. In the mornings you will hunt grouse. In the afternoon whilst everyone naps, you will engage in all manner of chicanery, secret trysts and over all discreet comminglings. Dinner will be served by an open fire, with the staff bringing one succulent dish after another.

I'm trying to imagine the situation where somebody looked at that fabric and decided, "you know, I'll make this into a full suit". I'm having a hard time.

Well, it was picked up in your neck of the woods so what does that say????

OK, nothing really. Also the only measurement that is off is the P2P and I already acknowledged that I was basically Ed Norton from Fight Club when they were taken.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a bunch of stuff but nothing too good. I passed on a bunch of stuff, too.

Tessuto Zegna 2 piece? First time seen one of these bad boys. Anyone knows info? Those greedy bastards want $40 for it! Hellz no! Pass
Could be something nice. Is it Made in Italy? Take a picture of the makers tag on the inside pocket and see if someone can id it.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could be something nice. Is it Made in Italy? Take a picture of the makers tag on the inside pocket and see if someone can id it.

Yes, Tessuto Zegna merely means it's Zegna fabric made into a suit by someone else. There should be another tag with the maker on it.

madmacs

Reaction score

It's houndstooth... why wouldnt you make a suit out of it? very English country gent... not much chance of Ralph Lauren stealing that idea...

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Quick tip if you guys need shoe trees and have a Nordstrom Rack around, they've got Woodlore cedar trees for $9.90 a set this weekend. Not thrift prices, and not top of the line trees, but they're nicer than most of the trees I'd been using, and at that price, I grabbed a few sets.

They're pretty much these, sans branding http://woodlore.com/mm5/merchant.mv...=M-Combo-Shoe-Tree&Category_Code=Shoe-Trees-M .

I almost want to go back and buy more sets for shoes I don't own yet.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you know if they have any other woodlore products on sale? Need to expand my shoe rack :nodding:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
You know, I didn't see any, but then again, I didn't look. Pretty sure the trees were all they had though. Worth giving them a call maybe.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's houndstooth... why wouldnt you make a suit out of it? very English country gent... not much chance of Ralph Lauren stealing that idea...

That particular one just seems like it would make for a loud sportcoat and a really loud suit. I've seen houndstooths that work as suits, but they're much more subdued.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
*redacted*

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty open about it. Why else would robert graham and true religion make the cut? :crackup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads