• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just to make the point clear:
it LOOKS like i found this:

but what i really found was this:

The truth is i don't want my reputation here hurt by selling you an old unwearable piece for what it would cost to get to you even at a proxy price.
If i had never shown styleforum the label and just the bag with the AR in it, you guys would love the bag.

LOL 951....too bad my wife doesn't look that good when she throws my jacket on :embar:

Actually my Beaufort was pretty much worn all winter since I have the liner and hood. I like the stuff because it's essentially bulletproof. As long as your jacket doesn't have holes or rips/tears....it's still good.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to make the point clear:
it LOOKS like i found this:

but what i really found was this:

The truth is i don't want my reputation here hurt by selling you an old unwearable piece for what it would cost to get to you even at a proxy price.
If i had never shown styleforum the label and just the bag with the AR in it, you guys would love the bag.

But unless it's got rips or something it's just a rewaxing away from looking good again.

951socal

Reaction score

But unless it's got rips or something it's just a rewaxing away from looking good again. 

there are no rips but it doesn't have any of the optianl features listed in the catalog it included like the hood, or snap in liner

its just the barebones low end jacket.

the wax itself is quite expensive and the jacket needs to be cleaned, And in my opinion, it needs a tailor with a hacksaw and a willingness to reshape a jacket from a decade where websites weren't even printed on catalogs/inserts for their jacket!

Its sort of like ai found a maserati, and everyone is willing to take it off my hands.
but all they can see the the badge on the hood.

and im sitting here saying that it's a maserati bi-turbo! trust me! you do not want, its for your own good!

i just want to make it a bench so that my carbon footprint is reduced. also because shooting on a student budget i can't go out and get a Triple Aught Design/ arcteryx LEAF gear

Last edited:

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to anyone. These people are the same people that want measurements on their Charvet shirts before they buy (as if sellers could measure shirts like Martin Greenfield)! What do they know?

951socal

Reaction score
i sold that on ebay pretty quickly and for pretty cheap. less of a hassle than some styleforum members like Brianpore, who was probably just looking to resale it anyway. i don't see why he made a big deal about the shirt fitting him.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are no rips but it doesn't have any of the optianl features listed in the catalog it included like the hood, or snap in liner
the wax itself is quite expensive and the jacket needs to be cleaned, And in my opinion, it needs a tailor with a hacksaw and a willingness to reshape a jacket from a decade where websites weren't even printed on catalogs/inserts for their jacket!
Its sort of like ai found a maserati, and everyone is willing to take it off my hands.
and im sitting here saying that it's a maserati bi-turbo! trust me! you do not want, its for your own good!
i just want to make it a bench so that my carbon footprint is reduced. also because shooting on a student budget i can't go out and get a Triple Aught Design/ arcteryx LEAF gear

But just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean it's worth chopping up. My Barbour Beaufort is pretty boxy but that's part of the aesthetic.

There are definitely collectors who would take that old bi-turbo and restore it. Everyone has hobbies and there are a lot of people in the world. You happen to be talking to a big hobby group whose hobby is used clothing, especially the high-end stuff, and a big sub-segment of the group are into trad / vintage pieces.

Greg613

Reaction score
Did anyone take you up on this challenge Andro ?

I got these purely for the hilarity factor.  These, ladies and gents, are Zanella double pleated shorts.  I think they're silk, but I can check later.  I can't imagine these were sold as they are.  I'm guessing these were pants that were ripped/damaged, and the owner then turned into shorts.  They're just..too weird to exist like this.  Whoever REALLY, GENUINELY believes that they can successfully wear these, can have them at cost with the qualification that they have to post a fitpic with them.  I think they're size 38-40, but I can check later.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the barbour extras like hoods and liners are sold separate.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Beaufort is NOT a low-end coat. MSRP is around $400, and, as you have discovered, they are much sought after. No offense, but I'm starting to think that this is some kind of practical joke. The jacket isn't made to be re-shaped because, well, it never had much shape to start with. If it doesn't have rips or tears (and even if it does, those are fairly easily repaired) you'll make someone's day by selling it. And pretty much no one re-proofs a Barbour themselves, you send it in every few years for that--it's part of regular maintenance.

All this information is widely known and easily found via Google, which makes me wonder: You really are putting us on, right?

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heeeyyy! I might have my first non-paying buyer on ebay!

I feel like I can now sit at the cool table and ***** about shady ebayers.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With eBay's help, I just got money from a non-payer this morning, nearly a month after the auction ended. I suppose I'll be rewarded with negative feedback, but good luck to you.

951socal

Reaction score

A Beaufort is NOT a low-end coat. MSRP is around $400, and, as you have discovered, they are much sought after. No offense, but I'm starting to think that this is some kind of practical joke. The jacket isn't made to be re-shaped because, well, it never had much shape to start with. If it doesn't have rips or tears (and even if it does, those are fairly easily repaired) you'll make someone's day by selling it. And pretty much no one re-proofs a Barbour themselves, you send it in every few years for that--it's part of regular maintenance.
All this information is widely known and easily found via Google, which makes me wonder: You really are putting us on, right?

not a Beaufort, thats a modern still produced jacket. the guys who have bedales and Beauforts here have very nice jackets and refuse to listen that this jacket is no where near as nice as those jackets that are in their closets. they just won't hear it because the name on the label.
Im telling you guys its not a great jacket and its beat, thiis pressure to sell it makes me uneasy, once i sell it i KNOW THERE WILL BE ISSUES WITH CONDITION AND THE COST TO GET THE JACKET REPROOFED. Im sure that masterati bi-turbo will be a great car but throwing a motor in it and painting it, as well as welding the frame together after you ship it half way across the US....not such a great deal

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Z Zegna is Made in Italy from nice clothes, yet it is not liked much around here. Is it worth picking up to wear (i.e. not flipping) ?

951socal

Reaction score

i've had a few of those and this is my third week on ebay haha
i just hit cancel transaction and i get a final value fee, and then i just relist

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
With all the talk about reproofing that Beaufort, if any of you needs something reproofed you should try: http://www.greenmountainreproofing.com/

$33 for most jackets and I've used them before. I was very pleased because they also do edit: no longer do repairs (they call with a quote and ask if you want them done). Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads