• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Charles tyrwhitt chelsea boots for $25? About to head out...

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I picked up the sickest tweed jacket ever today. W. Bill, Bond Street - Harris tweed in a big ass houndstooth check. Looks totally handmade, as I understand it W. Bill was just a fabric shop so I wonder if they had an in house tailor at one point. I'll post some pics in a bit but it's :slayer:

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man, I picked up the sickest tweed jacket ever today. W. Bill, Bond Street - Harris tweed in a big ass houndstooth check. Looks totally handmade, as I understand it W. Bill was just a fabric shop so I wonder if they had an in house tailor at one point. I'll post some pics in a bit but it's :slayer:

People go crazy for W. Bill. I sold a W. Bill shetland a few months back with three significant holes and did fairly well ($60+) on it.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On Ebay or SF? that's encouraging. This thing is pretty badass and looks to be around a 40r so :slayer: I seriously love old british goods, I think I'm a burgeoning Anglophile..

eBay. I hear yah on old British goods. I don't come across that much, but when I do I snatch em up.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

On Ebay or SF? that's encouraging. This thing is pretty badass and looks to be around a 40r so :slayer: I seriously love old british goods, I think I'm a burgeoning Anglophile..

Around a 40 you say? :)

Jpmorris

Reaction score
The LBM pics I mentioned earlier. You really have to see this in person to appreciate the finish. Unfortunately, i've come to the conclusion its a bit too long for me :( so its available.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Picked this pair of AE up today....figured at all of $4 they are worth it to experiment on. I've been wanting to do this for a while.

They originally looked like this.....

At first I thought lets see what they look like after a nice lushes coat of leather conditioner (the cheap stuff) - Pictured on the left - Not to shabby. Good enough if I was just flipping them for ebay after a coat of shoe polish
On the right you have a shoe that has been scrubbed with Acetone, and then set/scrubbed in a bleach/water mixture to remove the color.

At this point both shoes are in the drying phase. Next step is leather conditioner and then color. I was hoping to be able to do a walnut, but I think the leather is going to be too dark, so prob more of a medium brown (as light as possible). Debating weather to use shoe cream or polish??

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked this pair of AE up today....figured at all of $4 they are worth it to experiment on. I've been wanting to do this for a while.

They originally looked like this.....

At first I thought lets see what they look like after a nice lushes coat of leather conditioner (the cheap stuff) - Pictured on the left - Not to shabby. Good enough if I was just flipping them for ebay after a coat of shoe polish
On the right you have a shoe that has been scrubbed with Acetone, and then set/scrubbed in a bleach/water mixture to remove the color.

At this point both shoes are in the drying phase. Next step is leather conditioner and then color. I was hoping to be able to do a walnut, but I think the leather is going to be too dark, so prob more of a medium brown (as light as possible). Debating weather to use shoe cream or polish??

Polish (wax that is) doesn't have much pigment in it and just sits on top. Shoe cream has much more, so if you're wanting to dye the leather, go that route.

GHo

Reaction score

Zanella jacket. Again, ******* beautiful pattern. Not sure who the maker is [tried to ID the tag with little luck...it is before the current Caruso-era...Some folks in the Heel/Label thread tentatively ID'ed this label type as older Isaia or Lubiam, but can't confirm]. 35% wool, 35% silk, 30 linen. Front pockets still basted shut, no signs of wear. Double vented, pretty soft shoulders. Tagged 44R, more like a 44L.
zanella1.jpg

zanella2.jpg

Holy **** that thing is beautiful.

GHo

Reaction score

Polish (wax that is) doesn't have much pigment in it and just sits on top. Shoe cream has much more, so if you're wanting to dye the leather, go that route.

I'm glad you confirmed this. I have some AE Hillcrest that I just can't get to stay black. I've saphir'd the **** out of those things and just can't get the color into them (I'm using the polish obviously)

Cream it is - and then to the 'bay. ******* ugly shoes. :nodding::foo:

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them