• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can you explain this? i seriously have no idea what you're talking about here, and i suspect that others don't, either

They don't make a profit but that doesn't mean they are using the money they make for charitable purposes. However, Lint is a bit off. From the wiki page:

Goodwill Industries International is a not-for-profit organization that provides job training, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have a disability, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill is funded by a massive network of retail thrift stores which operate as nonprofits as well.

The wiki page also mentions that their President makes a lot of money....

I'd still support them over the discriminating salvation army, but that's a whole different subject :)

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're going to be thinking off all the Kiton and Isaia that's probably being put out that you're missing out on and go back....

I think this is called "enablement." And not in the good, American's With Disabilities" act kind of way. Have you no shame, sir? Have you no shame?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, http://charitynavigator.org/ is a fantastic way for assessing charitable organizations, in case people were wondering. They even have a lot of the financials stuff for most charities. The regional/local Goodwills are listed separately (since they're run independently).

Anyhow, sorry for the
spam[1].gif
, I've just found it to be a useful tool for other purposes and figured I'd share.

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They don't make a profit but that doesn't mean they are using the money they make for charitable purposes.

i don't understand this line of thinking. i doubt there are many (if ANY) nonprofits/charities/501c3's that use ALL of the money they bring in for charitable purposes, 100% of the time. every organization has overhead costs and operating expenses. unless you think that the CEO of goodwill should take a salary of zero dollars?

what exactly are the non-charitable things you think that GW is doing with the money they bring in?

also, wanted to publicly thank my legal research assistant, Andro. :fonz:

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right, and the above is actually a pretty terrible misconception about nonprofits - they are allowed (and encouraged to!!) make a profit...it just has to be reinvested in the nonprofit in certain ways (in the case of Goodwill, it's done with job training, employment, etc.). Basically, most of the money can't be drawn out of the organization, but profits can absolutely rightfully be made.

EDIT: A quick explanation of the "non-distribution constraint" on nonprofits: http://learningtogive.org/papers/paper177.html

i don't understand this line of thinking. i doubt there are many (if ANY) nonprofits/charities/501c3's that use ALL of the money they bring in for charitable purposes, 100% of the time. every organization has overhead costs and operating expenses. unless you think that the CEO of goodwill should take a salary of zero dollars?

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I also found the wingtips in this advertisement:

New old stock. Factory closed in 60ies, burned in 76. St Louis institution. Interesting and right size to go to Japan.

Last edited:

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i believe profits can also be retained to be used at a later date.

nonprofit ceo's are adequately compensated, the logic being that their expertise, and associated cost, allows the non-profit to be more successful

lolzeconomics101

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh good... We haven't had a discussion of whether Goodwill / Salvation Army / etc. do good work in several weeks. Next up: By buying nice clothes at thrift stores when we aren't poor we are subverting the mission of the thrift stores to clothe the poor / homeless in finely tailored suits and sportcoats

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what exactly are the non-charitable things you think that GW is doing with the money they bring in?
also, wanted to publicly thank my legal research assistant, Andro. :fonz:

No one is saying that. I doubt there is ANY charity in the world that uses 100% of its money for charitable purposes. But if a company spent all the money they made on employee salaries they could be considered a non-profit. There are non-profits that abuse their tax exempt status. Goodwill isn't one of those companies nor is anyone accusing them of such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads