• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without any info on the shirt or how much you paid for it, I probably would have jumped at the opportunity to sell it for $35, or at least met him half way at $42.50 or something. But thats just me. If it doesn't soon sell, it will eat up that extra 15 bucks in fees anyway. I also make it a point to answer any and all questions no matter how dumb they might be, it helps build return business, and generally only takes a second.

I had a recent buyer, return a pair of shoes because they didn't fit well. They were listed with all size info and insole/outsole measurements. He didn't bother to measure his own shoes to check. Anyway I considered blocking him for future transactions, but decided against it. Instead I explained to him to measure some of his best fitting shoes so he knew what he needed for next time. The next week he bought 2 pairs from me, and both were just right for him.

How do you measure shoes like that? I didn't think outsole measurements were a very accurate indication of fit?

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple pairs of shoes not in my size up for trades. None are in mint condition, but all are really nice!
Bally glove leather cap-toes. Softer than a baby's ass. Size 11 D made in Italy

Ferragamo tassel loafers. Stitching is coming undone on lining but looks like an easy fix. Size 11.5 B Made in Italy.

Churches "custom grade" tassel loafer 9 A I believe, size is hand written and hard to make out. Made in England in 01'
Vintage W.C Russel Moccasin Co. "bird shoot" moccasin. These are ******* bad ass! Red quilted lining, I'm still debating weather to keep these but alas they are a half size too big...still... Size 11 and made in Berlin Wisconsin, not far from my hometown, Milwaukee.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.P.S. VLSI, where are you finding new GATs for $250? That's almost....reasonable! (And brag-worthy).

I do not understand SWD at all
eh.gif

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Couple pairs of shoes not in my size up for trades. None are in mint condition, but all are really nice!
Bally glove leather cap-toes. Softer than a baby's ass. Size 11 D made in Italy

Ferragamo tassel loafers. Stitching is coming undone on lining but looks like an easy fix. Size 11.5 B Made in Italy.

Churches "custom grade" tassel loafer 9 A I believe, size is hand written and hard to make out. Made in England in 01'
Vintage W.C Russel Moccasin Co. "bird shoot" moccasin. These are ******* bad ass! Red quilted lining, I'm still debating weather to keep these but alas they are a half size too big...still... Size 11 and made in Berlin Wisconsin, not far from my hometown, Milwaukee.

Where's Dre....

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you measure shoes like that? I didn't think outsole measurements were a very accurate indication of fit?

It's a pain in the butt, but when I have the laces out for polishing, I measure the insole length with a tailor's tape. The width I usually measure on the outsole between the welt stitching at the widest point. I am not really convinced on the accuracy of the length, since everyones toes are different, and some shoes are much more pointed than others. However, It must work reasonably well, since I have very few shoe returns, and it generally matches up pretty close on the shoe size conversion chart.
I have since discontinued the use of overall outsole measurements, since they are pointless. I provide them only if requested.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I do not understand SWD at all :eh:

maison-martin-margiela-replica-sneaker-000.jpg

:laugh: Margiela GATs (or German Army Trainers) are replicas of a shoe Adidas made for Gemran troops in the 1970's. As opposed to regular sneakers, they have a nice, slim profile, and are made of ridiculous leather and lamb suede. They've retailed for as high as $800, can sometimes be found at Barney's for like $500, I think, which I find about as ridiculous as the $1,000 MC shoes. Still and all, they're really great, so it's nice to find them at a more reasonable price. :teach:

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know someone awhile back was looking for hats. Here's some I've picked up.
L-R Pendleton wool, Adams 5th Ave beaver, Bollman natural wool, Stevens beaver.

L-R Stetson wool, Champ tweed, Stetson tweed, Goorin, bought new for $40 before I found out I could get hats at thrift stores!:fu:

L-R Vintage Greek fisherman's hat, Shandon houndstooth, Stetson newsboy, Country Gentleman plaid, Seifter wool, made in Italy, Kangol x 3

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maison-martin-margiela-replica-sneaker-000.jpg

laugh.gif
Margiela GATs (or German Army Trainers) are replicas of a shoe Adidas made for Gemran troops in the 1970's. As opposed to regular sneakers, they have a nice, slim profile, and are made of ridiculous leather and lamb suede. They've retailed for as high as $800, can sometimes be found at Barney's for like $500, I think, which I find about as ridiculous as the $1,000 MC shoes. Still and all, they're really great, so it's nice to find them at a more reasonable price.
teacha.gif

They just look like sneakers. And they're glued, not welted, so it's not like they're going to last for 30 years like a pair of quality MC shoes will if taken care of.
puzzled.gif

I spent some time looking through the SWD WAYWT thread and I kept thinking "You spent $1000 to look like every hipster in my local coffee shop?"

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They just look like sneakers. And they're glued, not welted, so it's not like they're going to last for 30 years like a pair of quality MC shoes will if taken care of.
puzzled.gif

I spent some time looking through the SWD WAYWT thread and I kept thinking "You spent $1000 to look like every hipster in my local coffee shop?"

No offense to the lover's of these shoes, but they look like they would be well suited for a velcro enclosure rather than laces. lol

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offense to the lover's of these shoes, but they look like they would be well suited for a velcro enclosure rather than laces. lol

Yeah, no offense to anyone who loves them. Just not my thing, I guess. I spent more than this on a pair of blue suede boat shoes, so to each his own.
lol8[1].gif

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GATS are comfortable shoes and I think the white/cream/off-white color scheme looks nice.

As for price, not unlike MC stuff, certain SW&D items have a good deal of brand equity, which in turns results in a higher purchase price. You can get original GATS for something like $95 shipped. MMM obviously is a designer brand, so they price for exclusivity. At the end of the day, no different than buying a Kiton tie or a Hermes jacket - mostly unnecessary consumerism fueled by both construction/quality concerns and concerns relating to one's social identity perceptions.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They just look like sneakers. And they're glued, not welted, so it's not like they're going to last for 30 years like a pair of quality MC shoes will if taken care of. :puzzled:

:fu: :fu: :fu:

Just a sneaker! Good god, man! That's like saying all men in suits look the same. :laugh:

I mean, I kind of used to think the same thing -- 'till I actually tried to find a comfortable, high-quality, attractive shoe with no branding. It should be noted that a lot of Italian-made tennis shoes, like Common Projects, have a sewn-on sole. I'm not sure exactly what that means for a sneaker, but I'm sure as heck going to try and have mine recrafted some day.

Check it out:

266182011411616115957123_L.jpg

I'm liking these for summer. Navy leather, clean look...sewn-on sole!

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Just a sneaker! Good god, man! That's like saying all men in suits look the same.
laugh.gif

I mean, I kind of used to think the same thing -- 'till I actually tried to find a comfortable, high-quality, attractive shoe with no branding. It should be noted that a lot of Italian-made tennis shoes, like Common Projects, have a sewn-on sole. I'm not sure exactly what that means for a sneaker, but I'm sure as heck going to try and have mine recrafted some day.
Check it out:
266182011411616115957123_L.jpg

I'm liking these for summer. Navy leather, clean look...sewn-on sole!

http://www.endless.com/Mens-Shoes/s...e-rank&asin=B004T12R6Q&ref=sr_1_23&pageCode=d'

$62.50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads