• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How will I tell if a shirt can be? Is the extra fabric sewn in place or will it be loose? I have a Zegna shirt that I absolutely love, but rarely wear because the sleeves are a hair too short. This would be perfect.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Look at the cuffs with a light behind. I can see about 3/4" of extra fabric in there. It should be pretty simple/cheap, from what I've been told. Should be able to get hopefully 1/2" of extra length. Hadn't even thought about the shoulders. That would be more difficult because typically the side/arm seam is one continuous felled seam. It may be possible, but probably more difficult.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the cuffs with a light behind. I can see about 3/4" of extra fabric in there. It should be pretty simple/cheap, from what I've been told. Should be able to get hopefully 1/2" of extra length. Hadn't even thought about the shoulders. That would be more difficult because typically the side/arm seam is one continuous felled seam. It may be possible, but probably more difficult.
This is tremendous news. Let me ask you, can this be performed by a "tailor" at the dry cleaners? Or should I take this to the most reputable tailor I can find? My tailor is very unwilling to do work on shirts (i.e. remove pockets) and I've asked about shirt lengthening, and he refuses.

edit: inserted quotes around "tailor" at the dry cleaners.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind, I have heard of this being done, but I have never had it done myself. I honestly don't know who would be the best to ask. I guess it depends on how much you care about the shirt. The difference in price is only going to be maybe $10 or something between the crap and the good, so it's up to you.

AFAIK the procedure entails opening the bottom cuff seam enough to let out the fabric, and then resewing it where you want it. Pretty simple, but with some potential to screw up in a visible place.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, this really bums me out. The CK cotton velvet blazer is not going to work for me. I was thinking I would be able to let down the sleeves an inch or so, and I just opened one up to check. Guess what? Whoever did the alterations cut out the allowance. And this is a serious (3"?) shortening job. Not only that, but they mitred the cuff, meaning that there is an unremovable mark in the velvet, and even cut the lining to within 1/4" of the stitching, which was done by machine. I don't think any of you would ever do something this ghastly, but if it occurs to you to do it, NEVER CUT THE ALLOWANCES. Anyone a 40r with about 31-32" sleeve length?
confused.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How will I tell if a shirt can be?  Is the extra fabric sewn in place or will it be loose?  I have a Zegna shirt that I absolutely love, but rarely wear because the sleeves are a hair too short.  This would be perfect.
Some of the Jermyn Street shirtmakers allow for this in their off-the-peg gear.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pics of the Belvest jacket I picket up a couple weeks ago - wool/silk, blue plaid, relatively tasteful. Size 52/42, and obviously pretty wide shoulders. You can see the shoulder, and how the chest and waist are too big for me in my defeated end-of-the-day pose: Shoulder is pretty damn wide. This is a 42, which ordinarily is about right for the shoulders to fit.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, here are the pics of that suit. In the manner of cuffthis, our most prolific self-pic poster, I will identify the background objects: -Original poster (seen in mirror) of Lenin by the CCCP (don't worry, I'm not a commie, I just like propaganda artwork) -'fete a 30 ans' poster by Photo magazine -Alarm clock by Sony -Phone charger by LG -rolling desk drawer-***-nightstand by Ikea -wavy mirror also by Ikea -thermostat by Honeywell, IIRC Jeans ($29) and shirt ($10) on the bed by RL and RLPL respectively. Plain white shirt on me ($10) by Polo. Navy tie ($3) with tiny white spots on me by some random maker. Shoes ($8) by AE.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The back does look too small. Either that or there is too much padding in the shoulders for you. This is what's causing the wrinkling under the collar. This is NOT due to the collar being too high, and CANNOT be solved by lowering the collar.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for the tip. I want to be as much forearmed as possible when taking it to the tailor. In any case, I guess I can take the tag off now...
smile.gif
Speaking of which, there needs to be a universal movement against stapling tags through fabric. What's up with that?.

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Let us not forget ,thrift store employees,(not being the brightest) have no regard for the way they tag garments.I have found mint items,with the only damage being the damned colored nylon zapper puncturing the cuffs of the finest Turnbull & Asser shirts,or through the lining of a jacket,yet not quite through,so the little "T" part is forever lost within the lining when you cut the filament.If you try and pull it back through,you risk further damage.By the way,while we're bragging:My greatest find to date? Two original H.Huntsman bespoke 3 piece suits,along with 2 Huntsman bespoke sportcoats on the very same day..$9.99 per suit,$5.99 per sportcoat..Wohoooo...
biggrin.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
From the one that got away file. I put back a nice Canali tie today after discovering a couple of fairly minor, yet annoying, snags. Alas. Tomorrow is another day (and a visit to a promising thrift store).

j, this might be a good thread to pin, although I know things are sort of crowded up there.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
From the one that got away file. I put back a nice Canali tie today after discovering a couple of fairly minor, yet annoying, snags. Alas. Tomorrow is another day (and a visit to a promising thrift store). j, this might be a good thread to pin, although I know things are sort of crowded up there.
I have a similar one from today but the good side of it - I found a really nice tan cashmere jacket (a 40s or R, can't remember) last time I was at this store, and put it back due to some "stuff" found on the cuff. I looked at it again today, thought maybe I could get the "stuff" out, but noticed the real MOP buttons. I figured, even if I can't get it clean, a set of real MOP jacket buttons this nice is probably worth $10. Also got a black harness leather belt with detachable brass buckle, very well made and soft, fits me, $1. And a RLPL light blue plaid LS sport shirt with overcheck, unfortunately in XXL, but a cursory glance looked good, again either way I can steal the buttons - $5. As for pinning, I don't think it will be necessary - I plan to bump the thread to the front page as much as possible, and I expect you all to help me.
smile.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn I hate you all. There are no thrift/discount stores where I live -- at least not with anything worth buying -- so I have to rely on eBay for my bargain fixes. Must be nice to live in a real city
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads