• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
I would seriously own all of you with Pikachu or Yoshi in Smash Bros.

Mr. Game n Watch if we're playing the Wii version, which is far superior in my opinion.

Also, got packages from Nataku and GMMcl today...they been had Tyvek envelopes. They make me look like an amateur, wrapping my items in butcher paper or even simply stuffing them in the box all together. Great sellers/traders and shippers!

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it wrong if I loved TurboGrafx16?

Oh hell, that is the best gaming system ever. I had a Genesis, swapped that for a Super Nintendo, and then swapped that for a PC Engine (same thing as TurboGrafx I think). Even as a kid, I was trading ****. But yeah, the PC Engine was awesome. I ended up swapping the PC Engine back for a Super Nintendo when I saw that game Metroid and Donkey Kong. LOL. Those were the days.

I actually liked the N64 even if it was just for LOZ: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I watch people speed-run Mario 64 still to this day...

Whaa? N64 was probably my favorite system. Both Legends of Zelda, Mario & Mario Kart 64, Golden Eye 007, and Diddy Kong racing (I loved this game) :embar:

Yeah, there were some good games but out of around 20/30 I owned, only around 5 or so were any good :laugh:.

Golden Eye was f**king mint - in two player, best video game fun I ever had. Perfect Dark was a brilliant game, as was Majora's Mask. I also thought Ocarina of Time was good. My favorite game on the N64 was Shadowman.

Once I had a souped up PC and Half Life came along, I kinda ducked out the console gaming.

Haha Klobber is a noob. I easily beat the game without dying :slayer:

You must be talented to take on as difficult a game as Contra and not lose a single life. Take that skill and try Battletoads or Silver Surfer - those games were impossible. The only Contra game I actually completed was that one on the super nintendo.

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IDK what size Digmenow is, but I know he's going to be looking for black everything!

NqBte.png

zwatson

Reaction score
Was able to pick up a pair of black Burberry London jeans at one of their outlet stores for $49 a while back, love the jeans and have stopped at the store a few times since, but haven't come close to finding anything close to that big of a discount since..

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Some of those would be insane to find at a thrift store (Moots, Lynskey), just because they're generally newer brands and their high-end status. Someone could luck into one, though.
I've been a bike-nut for many years now and I rarely find great stuff, but have had a good string of finds the past couple years. First, I found two vintage (early 80s) Trek road bikes in my frame size (25") within about six months of each other (one for $50, one for $15). I turned one into a poor-mans cyclocross bike and have put thousands of miles of crushed-gravel riding on it. The other I had blasted and powder-coated and modified it into a super-upright commuter (inspired by early Raleigh, etc). It's the best of both worlds, as it's super comfortable and yet incredibly lightweight and maneuverable. Here's a pic of that one...

For my money, the Trek road bikes from the 80s are incredible in terms of value, especially if you can get Reynolds tubing. Just the right mixture of lightness and flex, super comfortable to ride.
My most recent find was a Mercier Galaxy for $50 (which can be purchased on Bikes Direct for $400. It had an ass-ugly nutsack-saving ergo seat on it that I sold on ebay for $40, then put a comfortable seat I had laying around at home on it. My goal this spring is to mod it out and turn it into a commuter/infant hauler. :)
Oh, and unrelated to bikes, I have to give a huge shoutout to 330CK for hooking me up with some amazing Hickey Freeman blazers. Great stuff and great fellow to deal with.

Very nice bike!

The Treks are great, but I kind of count on name recognition aat the GW to kill value. EVERYONE knows about Trek, and everyone that doesn't know anything thinks it's the epitome of bike companies. If anyone can find one with Reynolds tubing that isn't over about $30, I'd take that thing all day. I'd make it my daily so I wouldn't be too upset if it were stolen, like I would if I rode my Turner everywhere.

I'm still hoping I run across an old, beaten Brooks saddle for a few dollars I can bring back to life.

Thanks for the shout out, man! It was a pleasure dealing with you as well. I will throw any other Michael Phelps' sleeve length coats your way in the future. :)

If anyone finds on of these in good shape at thrift prices, I will be amazed.  I'm more on the level of looking for post WWII porteur/city bikes with 3 speed hubs.  I've found a few so far for between $5 and $15.  They usually have zero aluminum on them and will never die, as well as Brooks saddles.  The closest I've ever seen to a thrift level bike in your list was a 20 year old Litespeed MTB that was donated to our shop, but that had an ovalized headtube.  It was unrideable, but had ancient XTR componentry.  A Lynskey will never happen, as they've only been in business for 6 or 7 years.  Same probably goes with Pivot and Moots, as those owners know precisely what they have.  I've seen a few stolen Moots roll through with some getting back to their original owners, but I've never seen a legit owner trying to dump his Moots in the least ceremoniously way possible, donation.

The Fuso was recently broken down and sold piecemeal.  I just shipped the frame and fork to Germany.

It's unlikely, yes, but few things are impossible. Some people in this thread have amazing luck, and might pass by these bikes without ever knowing. (By the way, if you ever find an old Brooks saddle, something around a B17 or similar shape, and just want to get rid of it quickly, keep me in mind.)

The owners certainly do know what they have, and probably would never donate, but I ride with some owners of bikes this calibre that are rather old. I know there are children of these types of riders out there that wouldn't be able to distinguish a Colnago from a Columbia, and they might just donate them along with the rare, old books they donate that I've found. (read: Catcher in the Rye 1st ed) There is always a chance, and I want to be the first one to have called dibs if that happens. :)

Re: finding old bikes. I used to know a guy who was heavily into this as was pretty successful in finding these older bikes you are talking about. His strategy:
1. Estate/garage sales. He would hit them up early on Saturday morning, opening day. A lot of folks don't know what they've got and he would make offers from $20 -$30/per bike and be pretty successful.
2. Craigslist. He would concentrate on ads saying something simple like "bike for sale" or "bicycle". A lot of these ads are put by people who don't know much about computers let alone how to take a picture and post it to CL. Emails and phone calls would give him details and if he thought it was promising he would visit and also give them $20-$30 offers.

I do hit them up every once in a while. Unfortunately, haven't had luck there yet. I have had pretty good luck on craigslist - found the Pinarello for a song I mentioned earlier. Haven't had much luck lately, though. Lots of people with Trek Y-frames and the like asking $2000+

Nataku and I were floating around some thrift stores this morning but then decided to hit some high-end discount shops. To my surprise a very sharp pair of New "Rag & Bone by Timberland Boot Company" Boots. The boots are crazy nice. They have sweet Vibram soles. They are a size 11 M. The leather/suede is flawless. They aren't my size unfortunately but I couldn't let that kind of quality go to a flipper lady. They are Available :) If anyone wants to find these puppies a new home PM me :)

These are quite nice. I hope they haven't been claimed yet. I will PM you momentarily. Ever since I bought myself Danner Mountain Light IIs, my father has been on the quest for a new pair of boots. I think he'd like these. (Not a line - these are seriously for my father.)

So, on to today's thrifting adventure...

I spent today on a family outing. We used to go thrifting together often, and haven't in a while, so it was nice to do it again.

The first Swapper Jack's--I mean, Trader Joe's--finally opened in Florida, and we did quite a long day trip to go check it out. It's my mother's favorite grocery store, and nothing else in Florida can really match it--at least, in the area in which we live. This also provided new territory to thrift.

Let's just say it started off slow and frustrating. A few stores and nothing more than Chemise Lacoste re-issue polo and Maus & Hoffman house branded linen shirt--both of which I left behind due to condition--to pique my interests.

We head to the third or forth place, and my father calls my attention almost immediately over to a corner. HOLY ******* **** A KRELL AMPLIFIER AND CANTON SPEAKERS! I about ejaculated all over myself.

Until... There as no price. "Oh ******* ****," I said to myself. "I bet it's store owned."

It was indeed. I inquired to an incredibly rude cashier about it, and he wouldn't budge on the NFS stats even after I offered him $1000 cash. "Come on, everything has a price, man!" I urged him. Alas, to no avail.

So I delved deeper into the catacombs of this store, the possibility that this equipment would not be leaving with me haunting my thoughts. I found another employee, asked for a manager, was greeted again as if I were only being a nuisance, and waved off as a King would wave off a begging peasant.

I left, dejected, frustrated, livid--a veritable cornucopia of emotions. What a ******* waste of good equipment: playing 128khz bitrate files should count as blasphemy - this in a church-owned store to boot. So it goes...

Luckily, the day was infinitely better afterwards. Rather than clog up the thread with more crappy pictures, I'll wait until daylight to take some good ones. I do believe, though, that after tomorrow I will join Klobber in only posting items I will keep. I will start a blog of the other items, and link that blog in my signature. Feel free to contact me through the forum to get this stuff at discount or trade, before I list it on B&S and/or eBay after a few days.

A lot of the thrift stores today were good, but many very highly priced. I paid a lot more for a few items than I normally would have, but they were mostly worth it I think. Some of the items I bought with members in mind, so they get first dibs. Klobber - some good **** coming your way, brosef goebbels.

Enough blabbing. The list of today's pillaging:

BNWT BBGF silk tie
Silk satin texture navy blue Polo tie
The HOLY GRAIL of 80s Dior ties - HAD to buy it
Caruso sport coat - 42
HF navy blue blazer - 36S
Zegna navy blue blazer - 46
a&f vintage (the good stuff) trench (missing the zippable wool liner) - 40L
Gitman bros cotton plaid casual shirt MOP buttons - L
English made BB white/blue striped shirt - 16.5
Sicknasty Oxxford raw silk charcoal grey suit - 42
Oxxford sport coat MOP buttons - 46
English made Brooks Brothers small briefcase :slayer:
Barrie LTD. black wingtips (I think Cheaney) - around 11-11.5
Beautiful condition Florsheim Imperial shells - 10 (seriously about millimeters too small :fu:)
Practically new Callaway golf bag for $7, definitely keeping this

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, got packages from Nataku and GMMcl today...they been had Tyvek envelopes.  They make me look like an amateur, wrapping my items in butcher paper or even simply stuffing them in the box all together.  Great sellers/traders and shippers!

Glad that stuff found a good home. Enjoy! :)

Also, you can't have/use enough tyvek envelopes - they are free ya know!

HOLY ******* **** A KRELL AMPLIFIER AND CANTON SPEAKERS! I about ejaculated all over myself.
Until... There as no price. "Oh ******* ****," I said to myself. "I bet it's store owned."
It was indeed. I inquired to an incredibly rude cashier about it, and he wouldn't budge on the NFS stats even after I offered him $1000 cash. "Come on, everything has a price, man!" I urged him. Alas, to no avail.

Wow, and to think someone actually donated that stuff is mind- blowing! I never, ever, ever find nice (high-end) stereo equipment. That's pretty sad. You might want to call and ask to directly speak to a manager. Do what you can to talk to them. Maybe even offer them a trade plus cash so they don't get left without music for the store. I wouldn't let this find go so easily. That's a once-in-a-lifetime score right there if it works out.

Last edited:

w00tah

Reaction score
The new emulators allow you to play NES over the net with friends. Many nights were spent playing TMNT, NBA Jam, Battletoads, and Double Dragon with childhood friends during high school and college.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Wow, and to think someone actually donated that stuff is mind- blowing! I never, ever, ever find nice (high-end) stereo equipment. That's pretty sad. You might want to call and ask to directly speak to a manager. Do what you can to talk to them. Maybe even offer them a trade plus cash so they don't get left without music for the store. I wouldn't let this find go so easily. That's a once-in-a-lifetime score right there if it works out.

I know - seriously! But I'm already ahead of you. I schemed the entire 3.5 hour drive home on different ways to approach this. I think I am going call tomorrow and ask for the store owner/manager/district manager/dictator. I am not going to let these go without a fight. They'll have to block my number and the numbers of everyone I know to stop me if it comes to it. It's too bad I got rid of most of my superfluous stereo equipment. I had a lower end pair of B&W speakers I'd have given them. Found those in thrift, actually. The only speakers I have left are my Focals and some raw ScanSpeak drivers for an upcoming project. Honestly, I just really want the amplifier. Realistically owning an amp of that caliber is not in my near future unless I get this.

If they want to sell as a set, though, I would not hesitate to pounce. But, I will offer them whatever it takes. Even if I have to go out and buy something or buy something from a buddy to replace it.

At this point, the best audio thrift I've gotten is a Luxman CD player.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know - seriously! But I'm already ahead of you. I schemed the entire 3.5 hour drive home on different ways to approach this.................

Awesome! I hope it works out. Keep us updated!

The seller is a member on here. Great guy. :thumbs-up:

HATE YOU. I was bidding on it too

Think of it as more money you can put towards a beautiful pair of shoes on the bay. ;)

Last edited:

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ran across this skinny (~3" width) tie of Hermes and a few others, could someone please help me authenticate this?

also picked up a Like-New Brooks Brothers 1818 Olive Trench Coat size 42L-44L with detachable wool interior, available
Measurements (garment laying flat, taken from the front, all are approximate)
shoulder-22"
chest-27"
length-47.75" (from BOC)

pictures available upon request

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads