• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcl

Reaction score

Hey guys - Ive been busy and haven't read the past 2 days - i.e. the last 8,000 pages. Anyone got a quick cliff note refresher course?

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Noobs came and they bought Christian Dior Ties..................

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Heh...Ask me about my SL.
P8120001.jpg

I'll bite... howd you get a free SL?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll bite... howd you get a free SL?

First, let me say that nothing's more expensive than a cheap Mercedes! :teach:

About 7 years ago, I was seriously ISO an older Mercedes from the 80's. One of the docs in the same practice had this 380SL as a daily driver. No heat, ran like crap, leather seats shot, etc. He had just scored a newer BMW :p and mentioned to SWMBO that he was considering getting rid of the SL and she asked how much he wanted.

"Tell you what. If he promises to take you for rides in it with the top down, you guys can have it."

She called me and asked if I wanted it even though there might be some issues with it. I told her I didn't care if it stayed parked in the driveway and I had to sit in it and make "Vroom vroom" noises, that I'd take it!

I have more than five but less than ten grand in it so far with more work to go but I never would have paid what a comparable car would have cost, otherwise. It's been a gradual, affordable thing, much like my current wardrobe.
107July2009057.jpg

107July2009056.jpg

107July2009055.jpg

107July2009048.jpg

107July2009045.jpg

0101001428.jpg

107-rear-wheel_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

Last edited:

katch

Reaction score
You guys are no joke. I

thought I was good. I have a great relationship with a manager at a local discount clothing store. There was a bespoke Oxxford Blazer approx (40L, my size) for Richard's of Greenwich, 100% cashmere, original selling price $4300 (who knows), store price $1200, clearance price $950, 2nd clearance price $430, 3rd clearance price $220, sale price $139+tax.

Been following your great finds for the past couple of days and it's great to know that you can score such great finds. Just have to keep your eyes open and if you really want to get busy you can end up with brand new Ferragamos! (price?)

highlifeman

Reaction score
First, let me say that nothing's more expensive than a cheap Mercedes!
teacha.gif

About 7 years ago, I was seriously ISO an older Mercedes from the 80's. One of the docs in the same practice had this 380SL as a daily driver. No heat, ran like crap, leather seats shot, etc. He had just scored a newer BMW
tongue.gif
and mentioned to SWMBO that he was considering getting rid of the SL and she asked how much he wanted.
"Tell you what. If he promises to take you for rides in it with the top down, you guys can have it."
She called me and asked if I wanted it even though there might be some issues with it. I told her I didn't care if it stayed parked in the driveway and I had to sit in it and make "Vroom vroom" noises, that I'd take it!
I have more than five but less than ten grand in it so far with more work to go but I never would have paid what a comparable car would have cost, otherwise. It's been a gradual, affordable thing, much like my current wardrobe.
107July2009057.jpg

107July2009056.jpg

107July2009055.jpg

107July2009048.jpg

107July2009045.jpg

0101001428.jpg

107-rear-wheel_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

That....is awesome....looks really nice too!!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. My parents bought an '86 powder blue / dark blue interior SL years ago and have been shoveling money into it ever since. I used to use it during the summers in college and infuriate them by calling it "my car" :D Maybe someday I'll buy it off them so I can pour oodles of money into it. But not yet.

Oh, and :worship:. Both because that color is AWESOME and because YOURS WAS FREE!

Similar :worship: goes out to Brianpore for his stunning summary of the last two dozen pages. I'd do the Orson Wells/Joker clapping but I'm not tech savvy enough, so an emoticon will have to do.

PS: Picked up an ivory E. Zegna shirt in an 18 neck (!!) and an Eton that isn't size tagged. The arms look long (I'm looking at you, AndroFan), but I need to do some exact measurements to see if it came from the same shaved oak tree as the Zegna. Both are available; PM with interest and I will send measurements, etc. Oh, and I got them on my way TO the airport and STILL made my flight.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I was a senior in college I bought an 8 year old 1974 240D from a TWA pilot in Kansas City. As you mathematically-inclined types have deduced, I am an older guy. It had 75,000 miles on it. I sold it 3 years later with 125,000 miles on it. Maintenance was oil & filter, a battery, and a new exhaust system. I bought that car for $6200 and sold it for $6400.

I drove that car when I was a Lieutenant in the Marine Corps. One of my buddies asked "Smitty, how can you afford a Mercedes?" I just laughed. He had leathered up RX-7 which he bought new for about $16,000.

Mercedes used to make solid, simple, and even somewhat spartan vehicles which would run forever. The diesel engines they made in the 70's and 80's were as good as anything ever on the road. Now, they make overly complex overpriced luxury vehicles. IMO they have lost their way.

Last edited:

GHo

Reaction score

You guys are no joke.  I thought I was good.  I have a great relationship with a manager at a local discount clothing store.  There was a bespoke Oxxford Blazer approx (40L, my size) for Richard's of Greenwich, 100% cashmere, original selling price $4300 (who knows), store price $1200, clearance price $950, 2nd clearance price $430, 3rd clearance price $220, sale price $139+tax.

Been following your great finds for the past couple of days and it's great to know that you can score such great finds.  Just have to keep your eyes open and if you really want to get busy you can end up with brand new Ferragamos! (price?)

pics or it didn't happen

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Quote:
pics or it didn't happen

+ 1

I love that this is a requirement of this thread.

"Sooo, uh, I just bought a 2003 NWT Dior Homme suit at a local GW winter clearance sale for 99¢. Took it home and found 3 MINT Hermes ties in the pockets. No pic's though 'cuz everything was my dad's size and I gave it all to him on my way home. Then he moved to Timbuktu."

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its significance? It would significantly enhance the awesomeness of my closet.

Jk, nice find, very attractive jacket!!

grabbed this RL leather bomber from a spot out here in Boston, it has a green tag ... anyone know if that holds any significance? ---thanks in advance

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

grabbed this RL leather bomber from a spot out here in Boston, it has a green tag ... anyone know if that holds any significance? ---thanks in advance

Yup I grabbed one of those for myself, albeit black leather. Very significant - it looks nice and that is what counts.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any big Zegna fan on here? Local thrift shop seems to get a constant donation of Zegna from some dry cleaning place, every 2-7 days I go, I get like 2-4 Zegna shirts, (also found 2 more Lorenzini shirts and one navy Zegna crewneck sweater with 22" chest today). Most still have dry cleaner paper tag on them. They are mostly Medium and 16-17.5 neck, only found one Small for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads