• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know exactly what you mean, I've heard the tie should be darker than the shirt or something? What do you suggest? :)
Really, anything other than white or off white/cream. Assuming the coat is blue, a tie in brown, dark green, blue, rust, etc, would all work. Of course, I'm partial to earth tones, so......

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, anything other than white or off white/cream. Assuming the coat is blue, a tie in brown, dark green, blue, rust, etc, would all work. Of course, I'm partial to earth tones, so......

co-sign earth tones and blues, very tasteful approach

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Met @rhz5001 and did some thrifting/trading today. nice dude!
Turnbull & Asser 40L DB suit, in a difficult to photograph navy. Paging @EasyE

FWIW that is Turnbull RTW by Chester Barrie, not Turnbull bespoke. Still a dang nice suit, though!

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

co-sign earth tones and blues, very tasteful approach

I'd also add, per the conversation regarding grenadines the other day, any darkish, solid grenadine would also have been choice here.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If they were to somehow be able to regain manufacturing rights, this would be more exciting. However this just means they are rereleasing their classic models, except they are to be made in Italy, by machine, costing less than $2 bucks a pair to be sold for $400, using the same materials Tom Ford uses and the same materials that DKNY or Liz Claiborne or Kenneth Cole etc.. uses. All of those glasses brands are complete **** now. Japan is the only place still hand crafting glasses, making the price tags justifiable. However this will most likely make the value of mine go up so I guess I'm all for it.

Kept the Japanese ones, sold the Italian ones
Stays in steady rotation

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW that is Turnbull RTW by Chester Barrie, not Turnbull bespoke. Still a dang nice suit, though!
In all honesty, if you take a RTW piece made by Chester Barrie and you comb the thing, you will find that it's bespoke level quality. I do and or have owned em all, literally. Never Cifonelli or Orazio, but I think I can pretty much check the rest off, and to this day, the most handwork I have ever seen was on a Chester Barrie for Carroll & Co suit from the early/mid 90s. And it wasn't even the quantity of handiwork and obvious time dedicated to the construction of the suit, it was the quality of the work that really said something. They are without a doubt the most underrated and under appreciated in the game. I may love Zegna, but I have the most admiration for Barrie no doubt.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kept the Japanese ones, sold the Italian ones
Stays in steady rotation

Good decision. People see the made in Italy stamp and automatically assume that means quality. But every pair of glasses being produced out of Italy are total pieces of **** and insane rip offs. Those $500 Chanel's were made on the same equipment, with the same machines, and constructed of the same quality of hardware and plastic (Call it Acetate and u want your not tricking anyone) as the ______ that came off the line right before them and retail for $20. Plus they're mass produced now so there's truly no value cuz the market is absolutely flooded. Which is why you can find them so cheap on eBay. Those two companies just bought everyone's names and are turning the sunglass game to ****. The only dope **** out there that's not vintage is Dita, Moscot, Garrett Leight, silver lining opticians, and Cutler and Gross.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well outta context that doesn't read great.... but you put yourself out there for feedback, would u prefer some ***** response tip toeing around the wording or you want some real talk, no bullshit, straight from the hip? My apologies if my words offended, I just don't bullshit or sugar coat, I'm just honest, any other approach does nobody any favors.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is the logo for the SPDR family of ETFs that is managed by one of my former employers

I was wondering if anyone would recognize it. I figure someone really into spiders might want it. ;)

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they were to somehow be able to regain manufacturing rights, this would be more exciting.

MIJ, in the original factory apparently. i don't think they're doing those frames that you copped but interesting anyways.

Last edited:

ark8712

Reaction score
Gentlemen, can anybody drop a little knowledge. I thrifted a Gieves United Limited London bespoke (?) tuxedo over the weekend. Is this a thing? I am familiar with Gieves and Hawkes but am not finding anything on GUL.

I can post some pictures later this evening if anybody is interested.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads