• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pvoytko

Reaction score
These are actually real. They made these in limited edition circa 2005-2006-ish. The first season they did them as part of the Pollack collection, in denim. They also did in chinos and chino shorts (in various colors). I have these in cut off shorts.

The reason this particular pair looks authentic is that the paint placement and colors are the same as the pair of chino shorts I have (although they were hand done, they were consistently made with the same colors of paints and splatters were placed in generally the same areas). They had an artist in Brooklyn who splattered them.

These are actually real. They made these in limited edition circa 2005-2006-ish. The first season they did them as part of the Pollack collection, in denim. They also did in chinos and chino shorts (in various colors). I have these in cut off shorts.

The reason this particular pair looks authentic is that the paint placement and colors are the same as the pair of chino shorts I have (although they were hand done, they were consistently made with the same colors of paints and splatters were placed in generally the same areas). They had an artist in Brooklyn who splattered them.

ah okay. that is very old then. i knew the jeans were authentic but i thought the distressing was just done by someone looking to collect on resell value. they look exactly like the kentucky wash they did last season

can you post the shorts?

aquila49

Reaction score

Good knowledge. Thanks for sharing!

avera

Reaction score
My Bowery boots came back yesterday after a visit to Brian the Bootmaker (Role Club) in LA.
[/IMG][/IMG]

DJ Quaaludes

Reaction score
My Bowery boots came back yesterday after a visit to Brian the Bootmaker (Role Club) in LA.

Those look great! May I ask what the resole ran you? While I'm not in need of it yet on my pair, they are my most often worn shoe so I will need one down the line and that definitely does them justice.

aquila49

Reaction score
FACE-OFF: RRL HAWAIIAN CAMP SHIRT

I recently acquired the most recent RRL take on the venerable Aloha shirt—the Hawaiian Camp Shirt.

There's a lot to like about this shirt. It's well constructed in viscose—the fabric formerly known as rayon. (For me, a true Aloha shirt is always rayon or perhaps silk—but never cotton or, God help us, polyester.) According to the web site, 13 different color screens were used to print the fabric, a process that adds lots of detail and gives the piece an elegant, refined look. The shirt is also true to size in a Medium; while it's definitely not a bed sheet with arm holes, it's not so slim as to completely abandon the boxy silhouette you might want in an Aloha shirt.

The downside? Depends on what you're looking for in a Hawaiian-style shirt.

Of course, there's the usual Photoshop chicanery we've come to expect from our favorite brand. (As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Surprise, surprise!") The colors in the actual shirt (shown on the right side of the image) are far more muted than is depicted online. Personally, I like the pattern in an Aloha shirt to pop out—which is the case in the idealized version. In reality there's far less contrast between the lighter and darker shades of blue.

The orange accents are also less noticeable than what the online imagery suggests. In the product shot, the F-86 Sabre jet (which actually displayed orange striping on the fuselage and wing tips) and the F-84 Thunderjet are prominent across the chest. On my shirt these strong visual elements are downplayed, relegated to the collar and the front and back hems.

In the idealized version, the buttons are tinted with the orange accent color, a very nice touch. Unfortunately, it's not real. The actual coconut buttons are a familiar muddy brown. Also, the stitching on the edge of the collar is far more obvious on the real shirt. (I don't mind this but others might care.) And finally, the labels are different but that shouldn't be a deal-breaker unless you wear your clothes inside-out.

If you like a bolder, more graphic print in an Aloha shirt, the newest version from RRL is probably not in your wheelhouse. But if a muted, more elegant take on a male fashion totem appeals to your inner elitist, this shirt is bound to draw lots of compliments at your accountant's next BBQ.

alex99

Reaction score

FACE-OFF: RRL HAWAIIAN CAMP SHIRT

Of course, there's the usual Photoshop chicanery we've come to expect from our favorite brand. (As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Surprise, surprise!") The colors in the actual shirt (shown on the right side of the image) are far more muted than is depicted online. Personally, I like the pattern in an Aloha shirt to pop out—which is the case in the idealized version. In reality there's far less contrast between the lighter and darker shades of blue.

The orange accents are also less noticeable than what the online imagery suggests. In the product shot, the F-86 Sabre jet (which actually displayed orange striping on the fuselage and wing tips) and the F-84 Thunderjet are prominent across the chest. On my shirt these strong visual elements are downplayed, relegated to the collar and the front and back hems. 

In the idealized version, the buttons are tinted with the orange accent color, a very nice touch. Unfortunately, it's not real. The actual coconut buttons are a familiar muddy brown. Also, the stitching on the edge of the collar is far more obvious on the real shirt. (I don't mind this but others might care.) And finally, the labels are different but that shouldn't be a deal-breaker unless you wear your clothes inside-out.

If you like a bolder, more graphic print in an Aloha shirt, the newest version from RRL is probably not in your wheelhouse. But if a muted, more elegant take on a male fashion totem appeals to your inner elitist, this shirt is bound to draw lots of compliments at your accountant's next BBQ.

Thanks for the detailed review. I always feel like I'm looking at the website with Beer Goggles on. In real life the product is sometimes not as impressive, but RL also sometimes manage to make a product look worse with Photoshop.

I asked a couple of RL reps about the differences on the site and what buyers often receive in person, and they said the web site shots are often from pre-production examples, and sometimes there are more than one version of a piece and a decision has not been fully made on which will be produced. Other times I think production cost plays a role, or they lose access to or run out of certain materials, so they substitute.

I usually download pics of pieces I like, since they can be removed from the site at any time (another oddity). I just noticed that this Indigo Cotton Jersey Tee I was looking at suddenly has a pocket now! My original pic from earlier in the season had no pocket.

Last edited:

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I received the following pieces.

While I agree with aquila49's review I personally love the Hawaiian Camp Shirt. I'm also a size Medium and feel it fits true to size.

Here is the Indigo Cotton Overshirt. This piece is killer.

I'll be receiving the Indigo CCC Pullover on Thurs. I originally ordered the Medium but it was huge. Hoping the Small works.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Is there any RRL jeans cut suitable for guys with small waist but larger thighs and butt from workout? I'm looking for tapered legs. Thanks.

aquila49

Reaction score
Today I received the following pieces.

While I agree with aquila49's review I personally love the Hawaiian Camp Shirt. I'm also a size Medium and feel it fits true to size.

Ha! Just noticed that our shirts are different—apparently each one is cut differently. That's interesting. You got better placement of the jet elements on the front. Lucky dog!

I should mention that I really like this shirt, but felt that some folks would be disappointed if they expected something closer to the online images.

oynag

Reaction score

Is there any RRL jeans cut suitable for guys with small waist but larger thighs and butt from workout?  I'm looking for tapered legs.  Thanks.

In short, no. I've had the best luck with the low-straight or straight leg, getting them altered in the waist and then tapered to my specifications (I use Railcar Fine Goods).

Last edited:

Cooly

Reaction score

Ha! Just noticed that our shirts are different—apparently each one is cut differently. That's interesting. You got better placement of the jet elements on the front. Lucky dog!

I should mention that I really like this shirt, but felt that some folks would be disappointed if they expected something closer to the online images.

Yeah exactly..mine is different too...and if you look on IG...you'll see some people have it with the yellow fighter like the one online...

Love mine as well..debuted it this past Friday at work with some classic khaki officer chinos..it was well liked...

Last edited:

aquila49

Reaction score
Yeah exactly..mine is different too...and if you look on IG...you'll see some people have it with the yellow fighter like the one online...

Love mine as well..debuted it this past Friday at work with some classic khaki officer chinos..it was well liked...

I'm envious! And wondering if I can swap it out for one with an F-86 on the chest. (Maybe not—just noticed that there aren't any Mediums left.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads