• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

el duderino

Reaction score

I will tonight. Sounds like a new thing in all the pants, then.

It's normal. They've had that tag in their non-denim pants for a while. It's the same union tag design that is on the inner placket of their shirts, just stitched into the back right pocket with two parallel diagonal stitches. It's based off of how union labels were sewn into garments, usually a Z shaped stitch or the dual diagonal stitch.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's normal. They've had that tag in their non-denim pants for a while. It's the same union tag design that is on the inner placket of their shirts, just stitched into the back right pocket with two parallel diagonal stitches. It's based off of how union labels were sewn into garments, usually a Z shaped stitch or the dual diagonal stitch.

Oh, of course - that is exactly what it is. This is the first pant I've had with it - guess I'm behind the times.

osadolor619

Reaction score
How does everyone feel about the eBay search for RRL yielding damn near 5,000 results? The majority of which are outlet items. I feel like people are trying to milk the **** out of their purchases. I've seen pants that I've purchased in an outlet for $14 being posted for $189. I think it's getting out of hand...

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How does everyone feel about the eBay search for RRL yielding damn near 5,000 results? The majority of which are outlet items. I feel like people are trying to milk the **** out of their purchases. I've seen pants that I've purchased in an outlet for $14 being posted for $189. I think it's getting out of hand...

hook it up! :nodding:

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah but unless you live near a RRL outlet what other option is there? It sucks but I think most of the RRL sellers on eBay must have some connection with the outlet staff and buy up all the product as soon as it hits the shop floor. Seems that way at least.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's irritating - I've arrived at the outlet only to see dudes buying literally every RRL item in the store several times recently. Eventually RL will reverse itself and allow the sale of RRL on the internet, and these dudes will be put out of business.

osadolor619

Reaction score
That was a while ago!
I've even had a seller brag about marking up an item 1,000%.. I think he's a member here.

I'm no business major but you would think if you lower the prices.. You would sell more, faster. Theres over 1,000 new items a month and even less sold per month.

Yea it does seem like they have a hook up. But I'm glad they're setting limits now on the quantity of items.

lacosteaddict

Reaction score
I love RRL. I have several jeans and shirts that I bought from the boutique in NY. I love how it is still a secret from so many people. The highest quality clothing- they only make quantity for the amount of fabric they can find. This obviously determines the price- the less denim the more expensive. I do think you pay for what you get. AMAZING

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ebay sellers don't have any connections with outlet staffs or manager.
they just live very close to outlets and hit them at the right time.
And RL will keep doing like this because they have been doing this almost over 20 years.
They just can't sell all the merchandise to Marshalls/Tj Maxx because they have their own outlets.
Marshalls/Tjmaxx receive their merchandise from department store like Macys or anything like that.

Why would they sell their product when they have their own outlet across the country and have no problem selling at outlets?

Not all outlets allow seller to wipe out their RRL shipment, some stores limit 5 item, some store manager will not allow you to buy anything, or some stores just love resellers because they are clearing their inventories and raising their revenue.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ebay sellers don't have any connections with outlet staffs or manager.
they just live very close to outlets and hit them at the right time.
And RL will keep doing like this because they have been doing this almost over 20 years.
They just can't sell all the merchandise to Marshalls/Tj Maxx because they have their own outlets.
Marshalls/Tjmaxx receive their merchandise from department store like Macys or anything like that.

Why would they sell their product when they have their own outlet across the country and have no problem selling at outlets?

Not all outlets allow seller to wipe out their RRL shipment, some stores limit 5 item, some store manager will not allow you to buy anything, or some stores just love resellers because they are clearing their inventories and raising their revenue.

There are actually a lot of well known sellers who have connections at outlets and get first crack at merchandise. I don't know any at RL specifically (though I suspect Bluepresent is one), but there are a few ebayers and some styleforum folks who are quite open about their relationships. For instance, there is a well known guy at the Brooks Brothers outlet in NC and another at the Nieman's Last Call in Houston/Dallas, plus a few here that I know.

I think, unfortunately, that the market forces are starting to trend against good deals. SF was very good, but I think it's just become too slow to make it worth the effort for a lot of folks. And having dabbled in ebay myself, the fees they charge really do hurt the sellers and thus increase prices. The really good stuff is going to be at a premium, but I still think you can pick up basics at a more than fair price. Hopefully market forces will swing the pendulum the other way, but we currently seem to be in an up cycle. I think we'll see when the fall stuff hits how bad it is; I have a feeling bargains will pick up again then.

My attitude with RRL has always been opportunistic - I buy things that are priced well and consider them to be serendipitous finds. And I think the denim is actually a good value at retail and also readily available at discount. So I've been content to wait it out for the deals myself.

Last edited:

jimmyfingers

Reaction score

I know one girl that makes a living doing this (outlet items). She made over 60,000 dollars last year.

I have no problem with people making some money, but it screws up the market for the buyers.

The problem is people check to see what other people are listing at and then they list in the same range instead of listing a fair price. Buying a jean for 30 dollars and selling it for 280 is def milking.

Some of the items are listed over retail which is crazy

No resellers have special relationships with outlets or managers. This is strictly prohibited at RL. They live close by and check the store daily or work in teams if the store limits you to five purchases.

I am not a big seller, but I much prefer to sale on ebay. SF is slow, people lowball the **** out of you, and way too many flakes. Not to mention the scamming that goes on.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think, unfortunately, that the market forces are starting to trend against good deals. SF was very good, but I think it's just become too slow to make it worth the effort for a lot of folks. And having dabbled in ebay myself, the fees they charge really do hurt the sellers and thus increase prices. The really good stuff is going to be at a premium, but I still think you can pick up basics at a more than fair price. Hopefully market forces will swing the pendulum the other way, but we currently seem to be in an up cycle. I think we'll see when the fall stuff hits how bad it is; I have a feeling bargains will pick up again then.

I don't get why SF suddenly slowed down so much. Sure people naturally resist change, but it's not that dramatically different and it doesn't require much effort to figure out the changes. While B&S rules have changed, the filter and standardized formatting makes it much easier for buyers to find things.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't get why SF suddenly slowed down so much. Sure people naturally resist change, but it's not that dramatically different and it doesn't require much effort to figure out the changes. While B&S rules have changed, the filter and standardized formatting makes it much easier for buyers to find things.

Yeah, I actually think it slowed down before the change due to macroeconomic trends, but I also think it has shifted down another gear after the change, at least from what I hear anecdotally. I think it's taken some folks a while to adjust, and I also think some people have left. Hopefully it should stabilize again.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe its been said before, but I think it'll get to a point where RL will just start destroying items rather than flogging stuff at outlets. I'm sure they're aware of the 5000+ things being "sold"on eBay and I can't imagine they like it very much.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavid20224