• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

keepondigging

Reaction score
I know SA's at RL get commision so I'm sure that changes the dynamics of things a bit. Obviously it shouldn't affect how they treat a customer but it wouldn't surprise me if that makes the SA's more pushy and frustrated when they lose the sale. Hence the way you were treated. Sucks.

In regards to stock allocation I completely agree. There seems to be a massive disconnect between online and in store. Its really shameful when there is a better selection online than in store, when it really should be the stores getting the exclusives/early releases first. After all, those are basically the only advantages that brick and mortar has nowadays, exclusivity and customer service. They have to get those things right if they want people to keep passing through. We all know how bad the website can be, so its refreshing to step into a store in the hopes of seeing a piece you're keen on in person...only to find they don't have it. Dissapointing.

urbanwoodsman

Reaction score
Most SAs at RRL ******* suck. Perhaps a facile take on things, but I stand by it. I have a special disdain for the ones who fancy themselves too cool (i.e., like asking them for assistance is a bother). There are a few gems out there, and if you're lucky enough to find one, I recommend sticking it out

Last edited:

Cooly

Reaction score
This is so strange...I've had nothing but good to great experiences with almost all the RRL and RL sales people. Some definitely vary on their knowledge and helpfulness, but pretty much all have been extremely friendly & very helpful and go out of their way on the customer service. If I want alterations on pieces, they do it per my recommendations (free of charge) over the phone...I don't have to do a thing. I can text them on pieces I want or see in magazines ... they let me know about new pieces as soon as they arrive, send me look books...let me know about sales early and hold pieces for me...the list goes on...

I stay connected with a bunch of them (SF, LA, NYC, Aspen)...even when they move stores. Do I buy a bunch? Yes...but what are you expecting if you go in once a year and say "maybe" and they never see you again?

Two Shoes

Reaction score
...but what are you expecting if you go in once a year and say "maybe" and they never see you again?

I expect the ambassadors of the brand to treat me the same as they would you or anybody else- courteously and professionally. And I bet if I had a good experience, I would go in more often and buy more stuff. I understand that that isn't the way the world works, sometimes, and there can be a lot of factors for that. But the disappointing service I received seems like a poor way to represent your brand and establish loyal customers.

aquila49

Reaction score
Gotta rant for a sec...

I went to the RRL store on Melrose a couple weeks ago to try on and possibly buy a few things. The sales associate was helpful and professional until I told him that I wanted to give it some thought and maybe I'd be back in a bit. He was visibly annoyed and snippy and disregarded me as I left.

I get it, he wanted the sale. And I know that it sucks to cater to somebody and treat them like a high-value customer for 20 mins and then have them not buy anything. But all of that just seems like really poor customer service. Class is treating the customer equally well, whether they buy something immediately or not. I wanted to think about the items but, after he turned ****** on me, I left and ordered online.

It felt like management cared more about hiring a model that they could dress up with the right look to pretend to be a sales person without any real training or actual customer care.

Also, there seems to be a total disconnect between their in-store and online. They kept trying to steer me away from looking at items online. Almost like they were in competition.

The whole thing soured me on the brand a little bit. And made me question the value of the items. I really liked the chore coat but felt the quality did not earn the $600 price.

I decided from that point that I would only buy RRL on sale and online, while occasionally going into the store to try things on solely for size (and make the models sales people waste their time with me).

Good topic for discussion. That's a big problem with the customer experience. One miscreant can damage relationships and management might not even know … or care. I had a similar experience at the Broadway store. The guy was so arrogant I wanted to slap him. But I've worked with an associate at the Melrose store for years and he's been great.

I think it's more about the person who's helping you, not the location. The key is to find someone you like who also understands what customer service means. When you find this person, stick with them.

You're partly right about the relationship between stores and the online profit center. They are in competition. Maybe you could call it friendly, but it's still competition. But there's a middle ground between stores and rl.com. Find a retail SA you like and order items through them; they can fulfill it from store inventory or order it online using their employee number. A sales associate can also extend a deeper discount during sales.

Last edited:

henryfool3

Reaction score
I've had mostly good experiences with the SAs. Better in Brooklyn than the Soho branch. Was friendly with one at the Brooklyn spot but he left a bit ago.

But I've gotten a few looks or vibes from some that left me a bit put off. Looks that smelled of snobbery and attitude.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mansion has the best staff in my experience, west broadway definitely had some we're too cool for you at certain point

JiiPee

Reaction score
I was a regular at the Paris store couple of years back. Always got a really good and friendly service there (especially when friendly service in Paris is generally not a gimmie!) and that has continued during my random visits in the past few years Same experience with the London RRL store when it was still around. Only went there couple of times but got really fiendly service.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Gotta rant for a sec...

I went to the RRL store on Melrose a couple weeks ago to try on and possibly buy a few things. The sales associate was helpful and professional until I told him that I wanted to give it some thought and maybe I'd be back in a bit. He was visibly annoyed and snippy and disregarded me as I left.

I get it, he wanted the sale. And I know that it sucks to cater to somebody and treat them like a high-value customer for 20 mins and then have them not buy anything. But all of that just seems like really poor customer service. Class is treating the customer equally well, whether they buy something immediately or not. I wanted to think about the items but, after he turned ****** on me, I left and ordered online.

It felt like management cared more about hiring a model that they could dress up with the right look to pretend to be a sales person without any real training or actual customer care.

Also, there seems to be a total disconnect between their in-store and online. They kept trying to steer me away from looking at items online. Almost like they were in competition.

The whole thing soured me on the brand a little bit. And made me question the value of the items. I really liked the chore coat but felt the quality did not earn the $600 price.

I decided from that point that I would only buy RRL on sale and online, while occasionally going into the store to try things on solely for size (and make the models sales people waste their time with me).

Wouldn't the 'right' move have been for the SA to give you his card so you could call to place the order? Not closing sucks, but it seems better to salvage a chance at a sale vs potentially burning a bridge.

It sounds like there are a few all-stars out there, but management could do a better job coaching SAs through sales scenarios, recognizing customer types and buying styles, that sort of thing.

Two Shoes

Reaction score
It sounds like there are a few all-stars out there, but management could do a better job coaching SAs through sales scenarios, recognizing customer types and buying styles, that sort of thing.

Agreed. It makes it feel like their employees at this location are grab-and-dash types and I wonder what the store's turnover is like. It sounds like there are some great SAs out there and it's unfortunate that there isn't more consistency between stores.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many generalizations being made here - if you remove the emotion from all of this you're left with the facts.

a poster said they expect to be treated "courteously and professionally".........so which lines of courtesy and professionalism were crossed? Can you provide specific details? Any cursing or belligerence?

aquila49

Reaction score
Many generalizations being made here - if you remove the emotion from all of this you're left with the facts.

a poster said they expect to be treated "courteously and professionally".........so which lines of courtesy and professionalism were crossed? Can you provide specific details? Any cursing or belligerence?

I don't see your point. It's a hard to be objective about customer service when it's all about human emotions.

All I know is that when somebody is good at it, you come away from the experience feeling like you were treated well.

I have seen people who are truly awful at customer service—with uttering a single curse word or displaying any belligerence. Do they get a waiver because of some sort of negative metrics? Number of expletives per minute?

If Two Shoes left the Melrose store with negative feelings, someone didn't do their job well.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see your point. It's a hard to be objective about customer service when it's all about human emotions.

All I know is that when somebody is good at it, you come away from the experience feeling like you were treated well.

I have seen people who are truly awful at customer service—with uttering a single curse word or displaying any belligerence. Do they get a waiver because of some sort of negative metrics? Number of expletives per minute?

If Two Shoes left the Melrose store with negative feelings, someone didn't do their job well.
personally, I like to be left alone while browsing. Seems like others like to be engaged by the store staff. That said, why is it so hard to provide concrete examples of what constituted poor service? Now, if someone was making a purchase and the lack of service became a deal-breaker to the transaction then I would understand this better.

And just because someone left the store caught in their feelings doesn't mean much - the customer is not always right.

I've seen poor customer service plenty of times but I also am not emotional about it unless certain lines are crossed. The reality is that many people struggle at jobs such as being an SA at reputable/high-end store.....everyone's not equal. I tend to empathize with them and not take things personally.

but that's just me.......

urbanwoodsman

Reaction score
If you're an SA and you are and/or do any of the following, then you're not providing satisfactory customer service:
- dismissive
- rude
- fail to follow up
- don't listen
- speak over customers
- marginalize a customer's concerns (especially in a condescending or pedantic manner)
- too pushy
- dishonest/disingenuous

I'm happy to provide specific examples of the aforementioned, but for the sake of brevity, I'll keep it short.

Also, to echo what was already said, there's no removing human emotions from one's experience with customer service, whether you're a customer or an SA. You can come out of a store feeling like you had a bad experience and complain about it to others without it translating to being overly sentimental (see: emotional).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinniemcarthy