1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Apr 2, 2010.

1. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the italian rest tips guys.

2. NameBack

NameBack Well-Known Member

How do you guys feel about Providence, for food?

I went while I was back in town recently on vacation (after hitting up Bazaar and Osteria Mozza the nights before -- PS why isn't Bazaar anywhere on the list? I would expect that from jet.), and I thought it was pretty fantastic.

[​IMG]

The wild Rouget I had was probably the best-cooked piece of fish I've ever eaten.

3. djblisk

Providence is a favorite of mine.

4. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I went while I was back in town recently on vacation (after hitting up Bazaar and Osteria Mozza the nights before -- PS why isn't Bazaar anywhere on the list? I would expect that from jet.), and I thought it was pretty fantastic.

My apologies I haven't been out dining in awhile so I'm behind.

5. fobe46

fobe46 Well-Known Member

gona hit up golden state this sunday.. are lines usually long at lunch time?

6. DocHunter

DocHunter Well-Known Member

Anyone have suggestions on places in the south bay? I live in Riviera Village (Torrance Beach) and would like to venture out and try new places, but it seems like mostly chain-type joints around. Any suggestions are very helpful!

7. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

Theres a ton of solid japanese stuff if your into that- shin sen for ramen, azuma in gardena is good izakaya. Theres a japanese pancake (okonomiyaki )place called gaja that sounds amazing- cook your own or have them do it for you. its in lomita. Yelp up izakaya / ramen / japanese and profit!

Espanola meat company is a secret spot in harbor city that has some of the best locally cured meats ive come across. Lots of restaurants source from there. Grab meats and a a couple bocadillos and your set!
    In a sketchy area, but adds to the adventure. Graff yard behind it, corner crew got the block on lock.

8. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

How do you guys feel about Providence, for food?

[​IMG]

The wild Rouget I had was probably the best-cooked piece of fish I've ever eaten.

those legumes are causing movments

9. tylerjbritt

tylerjbritt Active Member

I went to standard issue yesterday in jtown, on 1st. amazing place. really good deal on some leathers ($150ish) and dude is just plain awesome. boots aplenty as well. lots of vintage t's (a bit expensive) he has his own house line as well which he makes in japan of natural indigo. he sources those to craft he said. I picked up a winter watch cap.

went to langers, worth the hype. #19 was fantastic. but the place is flooding!
    [​IMG]

+1 for Standard Issue and it's owner, Masa. here's the blog: http://standardissueco.blogspot.com/

10. aizan

aizan Well-Known Member

Anyone have suggestions on places in the south bay? I live in Riviera Village (Torrance Beach) and would like to venture out and try new places, but it seems like mostly chain-type joints around. Any suggestions are very helpful!
    note: some of these are on the outer edges of the south bay. redondo beach chez melange/bouzy - gastropub, sunday brunch/mexican breakfast. delicieuse - gelato. avoid the cafe. handel's - ice cream. get a hurricane or the turtle sundae without whipped cream or a cherry. pacific fish center - korean seafood. soup is good food. on the redondo beach pier over by the fishermen. torrance santouka - tonkotsu ramen. in the food court at mitsuwa, only open for lunch. torihei - yakitori and oden. chill atmosphere. right across from musha, which is louder. horon - kushiage (fried stuff on sticks). ichimian - soba. the location on cravens ave. is more fun. ikko - izakaya with a french edge. weird/awesome. manhattan beach petros - greek. mezes are better than mains. north end caffe - breakfast. eggs. hawthorne al watan - pakistani. lawndale al noor - pakistani. inglewood soul burgers - no beef, still awesome. mariscos chentes - sinaloan seafood. tell them to go easy on the salt. los angeles (technically. it's in that little strip that runs down to the harbor.) jim dandy - fried chicken and fritters. gardena kanpachi - sushi. completely decent $35 omakase, but the south bay is not a sushi town. sakae - takeout sushi. mottainai - miso ramen. in the corner of marukai pacific square. ditto on shin sen gumi yakitori and azuma. lomita kotosh - peruvian-japanese. il chianti - italian-japanese. miura - sushi. $40 or $60 omakase. solid. gaja - not bad, but there's still no great okonomiyaki in la. don't forget to grab dessert next door at patisserie chantilly. best cream puffs in town. [​IMG] made a google map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...bbd3df6f674ac0

11. driveslowk

driveslowk Well-Known Member

Tried bottega louie last week. Portabello fries were pretty good mainly because of the green sauce that comes with it. Chocolate souffle was meh, pork chops were a bit bland. Ill give it one more chance though, what else is good ?

12. djblisk

Tried Shunji last Saturday night.

It opened the day before or something like that.

On Melrose and pretty much.

Review - The sushi was excellent. Pricewise I would say it would be the equivalent to Matsuhisa and Mori. The variety of fish was quite large where they didn't have names for some of the fish in English. The miso soup was individually made upon each order. Over-all, a very pleasant dining experience. The fish was store behind the chefs at the sushi bar so you could watch everything. Thumbs up.

13. driveslowk

driveslowk Well-Known Member

14. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Kelvin- MEATBALLS.

Doc, yellow table isn't bad. Japanonica is great, too.

15. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

Tried bottega louie last week. Portabello fries were pretty good mainly because of the green sauce that comes with it. Chocolate souffle was meh, pork chops were a bit bland. Ill give it one more chance though, what else is good ?

Pizza.... oh and the price. LOLZ.

16. AlexWb

AlexWb Well-Known Member

I'm totally new here, so I apologize if this has been mentioned. But, Pink's hot dogs in Hollywood is pretty legendary in terms of sausages. I've been meaning to go to Wurstkuche too

17. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

los angeles (technically. it's in that little strip that runs down to the harbor.)
    jim dandy - fried chicken and fritters.

This place has been on my to-try list for a while. Its real good? Like Honey's Kettle good?

18. aizan

aizan Well-Known Member

honey's kettle has a heavier crust and they don't have a "spicy" option, so i prefer jim dandy's. they're on par in other respects (seasoning, tenderness, and moistness). i haven't gone to the culver city location, just the one in compton.

19. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I need to go to red medicine.

20. poly800rock

poly800rock Well-Known Member

wondering what it's like after all the backlash.