• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

krudsma

Reaction score
Speaking of J. Crew, what's the likelihood that these cashmere sweaters are decent?

From the product description:
Meet our newest cashmere sweaters, knit in custom marled yarns by Scotland's Todd & Duncan mill (est. 1867). Located on the banks of Loch Leven in Kinross, Scotland, Todd & Duncan uses only the highest-quality cashmere—in fact, each batch of fibers is thoroughly inspected throughout the creation process, from arrival to dyeing to spinning to make sure it's worthy of the mill's good name. Their proximity to the lake is key in producing premium yarns, as the water's purity and softness make the resulting colors vibrant and consistent. And, because they employ environmentally friendly dyes, the water used can be cleaned and returned to the lake.

I know J Crew's usual cashmere is pretty worthless, but is this worth putting in my cart?

jaaz16

Reaction score
I tried one of the cashmere polo sweaters and found it on par with Uniqlo. Pretty thin, not very luxe feeling, and cut a bit slim for my taste, especially in the arms.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
And further: menswear enthusiasts loved J Crew 10 years ago. For example, the namesake of this thread.

I think J. Crew, especially the W&B line, and Todd Snyder, can be great for basics and even interesting pieces. Do we all need the most expensive, most complicated construction, most rare piece for everything?

At least for me, it gets exhausting to put that much time and effort into researching and looking for stuff. Sometimes, you just want to buy something, fill a gap, and know it's going to do a pretty good job because it's from a place where you know the level of quality is consistent to the price (on sale, that is).

For example, I got a W&B Naval Chambray Workshirt the other day. Is it some crazy OrSlow shirt? No. But it cost $50, it fits great (and I keep realizing fit is king), the chambray is actually quite nice, and the details are good. Moving on. And it feels good! And then I can inevitably spend too much time comparing sizing charts of 27 pairs of jeans. The important stuff.

I think there's something to be said about this. I would reference the Blamo podcast with Todd and another recent one where they discuss this very notion.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I mean, I get "every day middle class dudes" are easy to loathe, but those are also the gear and specs people. They may not be picky about their clothes: it could yard implements or kitchen knives or whatever. It could also be clothes.
Not sure where this is coming from. I don't pass judgement on people who don't geek out about clothes - that's a pretty normal and healthy way to live your life. I'm just saying that they are not IMO the picky customers that spend time agonizing over a size chart. I'd imagine Todd Snyder would be better off implementing a fit estimator app like TrueFit where people say "I wear Large in Uniqlo and I'm 6' 185 lbs, tell me my size"

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to sleep with her?

toe on blundstones are rounder versus those cos but that’s what I like about it.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
wanted to buy blundstones as per dww recommendation but a friend said she would never sleep with a man who wears blundstones, and i should get these instead

so now im conflicted :-(

dude, I’d get blundstones, they’re super comfortable, feel really well constructed, I absolutely love mine. You can beat them, work in them, do anything.

They’re a completely different boot, style, and aesthetic to what you linked. So, what’s more your style? It comes down to that I’d think.

Leiker

Reaction score
I think J. Crew, especially the W&B line, and Todd Snyder, can be great for basics and even interesting pieces. Do we all need the most expensive, most complicated construction, most rare piece for everything?

At least for me, it gets exhausting to put that much time and effort into researching and looking for stuff. Sometimes, you just want to buy something, fill a gap, and know it's going to do a pretty good job because it's from a place where you know the level of quality is consistent to the price (on sale, that is).

For example, I got a W&B Naval Chambray Workshirt the other day. Is it some crazy OrSlow shirt? No. But it cost $50, it fits great (and I keep realizing fit is king), the chambray is actually quite nice, and the details are good. Moving on. And it feels good! And then I can inevitably spend too much time comparing sizing charts of 27 pairs of jeans. The important stuff.

I think there's something to be said about this. I would reference the Blamo podcast with Todd and another recent one where they discuss this very notion.
Are you talking about the W&B shirt that has listed for $138 for a while? I've been looking at that.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Are you talking about the W&B shirt that has listed for $138 for a while? I've been looking at that.

yeah totally. I snagged mine NWT for $50 off eBay, but I think it’s last years model as it doesn’t have the flap pockets or the elbow detailing. I think I actually like mine more though so I didn’t realize till it arrived and I wore it, but they’re similar shirts. Point being, W&B I think is a solid line and I love everything I have from it. DWW turned me onto it and I’m glad I found it now. Their heavy flannels,if you can find one on eBay, are legit too.

Leiker

Reaction score
yeah totally. I snagged mine NWT for $50 off eBay, but I think it’s last years model as it doesn’t have the flap pockets or the elbow detailing. I think I actually like mine more though so I didn’t realize till it arrived and I wore it, but they’re similar shirts. Point being, W&B I think is a solid line and I love everything I have from it. DWW turned me onto it and I’m glad I found it now. They’re heavy flannels,if you can find one on eBay, are legit too.

Thanks, I like the look of that shirt but it never goes on sale on the site. $50 is a nice buy, enjoy.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude, I’d get blundstones, they’re super comfortable, feel really well constructed, I absolutely love mine. You can beat them, work in them, do anything.

They’re a completely different boot, style, and aesthetic to what you linked. So, what’s more your style? It comes down to that I’d think.

ha yeah i was just messing aorund. ill end up getting both i think

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics