• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was reading the "excited to wear this fall" article which brought me to
J.Crew: Heavyweight Chamois Workshirt For Men

since I was looking for a similar shirt to the Taylor stitch yosemite in mute red/rust

Anyone know how the Jcrew Chamois fits compare to Taylor Stitch yosemite (I wear size 36/XS).
the J crew site recommend a size small though, but in the past I wore xs in their shirts...its been years though.

I have both in both sizes. The material in the JCrew version is a little thicker. The body is longer too - I'd say the TS version sits at mid-crotch or shorter while the length of the J Crew version is like the pictures. I like the color of the TS version - I think the redder tone looks better. I also think it's made better. But I think the collar is too stiff and it shrunk too much for me in the wash, so I prefer the JCrew version.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
I have both in both sizes. The material in the JCrew version is a little thicker. The body is longer too - I'd say the TS version sits at mid-crotch or shorter while the length of the J Crew version is like the pictures. I like the color of the TS version - I think the redder tone looks better. I also think it's made better. But I think the collar is too stiff and it shrunk too much for me in the wash, so I prefer the JCrew version.

I wanted to reply with some info about the Todd Snyder Chamois' as I am possibly getting one - I chatted with them not expecting much sizing help, and they provided this detailed photo. Definitely seems true to size despite their website's instructions. These are easy to get the 15% off for, have some cool twill detailing, and after hearing TS talk about growing up with LL Bean and what it means to him, definitely would be cool to own a piece from this collection. Will report back on quality if I pick it up.

https://www.toddsnyder.com/collecti...0-llb-x-ts-chamois-shirt-m-s-reg-light-russet

1637076191608.png

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
I wanted to reply with some info about the Todd Snyder Chamois' as I am possibly getting one - I chatted with them not expecting much sizing help, and they provided this detailed photo. Definitely seems true to size despite their website's instructions. These are easy to get the 15% off for, have some cool twill detailing, and after hearing TS talk about growing up with LL Bean and what it means to him, definitely would be cool to own a piece from this collection. Will report back on quality if I pick it up.

https://www.toddsnyder.com/collecti...0-llb-x-ts-chamois-shirt-m-s-reg-light-russet

View attachment 1704844

It drives me up the ******* wall that they don't just post these charts on the product page.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
It drives me up the ******* wall that they don't just post these charts on the product page.

I honestly think companies could reduce so many returns and waste if they even just posted the chest, sleeve, and length. Like, I would never return nearly anything if they did. And most of the times, like if you chat on Ralph Lauren, they have no clue. This brings up my past point - If it fits 38-40, is that skin tight on a 40, or is it loose?? It's not helpful to know it will "fit" my chest (which btw, as a 40.5, I am usually between sizes).

This is always a bigger business point to me, of how the retailers could reduce returns and just educate the normal person on how to measure themselves.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Also, I'm super interested to see how this collab goes, but I don't know where else to drop this to complain about this often misused term:

Unless I am going crazy, is it not "Sneak Peek"? I hear "Peak" used all. the. time.

1637083366912.png

'patanoster

Reaction score
Also, I'm super interested to see how this collab goes, but I don't know where else to drop this to complain about this often misused term:

Unless I am going crazy, is it not "Sneak Peek"? I hear "Peak" used all. the. time.

View attachment 1704896

some of the clothes in that thumbnail are giving me a sneak peak, if you know what I mean

jaaz16

Reaction score
I don't have an opinion on the peak business, but I'm even more intrigued by this collection now. Some of it looks a bit too trim, but overall, not bad?

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
I honestly think companies could reduce so many returns and waste if they even just posted the chest, sleeve, and length. Like, I would never return nearly anything if they did. And most of the times, like if you chat on Ralph Lauren, they have no clue. This brings up my past point - If it fits 38-40, is that skin tight on a 40, or is it loose?? It's not helpful to know it will "fit" my chest (which btw, as a 40.5, I am usually between sizes).

This is always a bigger business point to me, of how the retailers could reduce returns and just educate the normal person on how to measure themselves.

Like, I can understand why a mass retailer wouldn't - generic size guides for people who care less about very specific elements of fit are probably fine (though Uniqlo, which is a brand I often recommend to younger professionals in my field to get a solid biz cas wardrobe from, does a fantastic job of providing pretty accurate charts, and it seems to be a huge aid to them). But for Todd Snyder, who at their price point is going to sell specific things in specific fits to very picky people, and said pickiness probably drives a significant portion of their sales (is it a majority? Doubtful. But I'd guess it would be a minority large enough to have a material impact on profitability), it makes not a lick of sense. I used to buy TS for good elevated basics (shout outs to Bry2000 and the EG thread), and after a couple of sizing mishaps (I note their email concierge person did not give me a chart, and the measurements typed into an email were not accurate enough for my pickiness; I note this matters for some garments, especially those where a closer shoulder fit is involved, than others), I'm not likely to do so again. A size chart would at least lead me to reconsider that stance.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

View attachment 1704896

I believe it's sneak pique.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
General interest question: what would be the women's version of the DieWorkWear blog?

I think a lot of my writing is inspired by what women are writing, but I can't think of a direct corollary. But the womenswear writers I read include Rachel Tashjian, Vanessa Friedman, Cathy Horyn, Rachel Syme, Emilia Petrarca, Gracia Ventus, Haley Nahman, Chantal Fernandez, and Elizabeth Paton (she's currently on maternity leave).

While not a writer, I also really like Avery Trufelman's work. She's a podcaster who has covered fashion (and many other topics). She just released a new season of Nice Try, a podcast series about the ways in which people have tried to create utopias. Her podcast series Articles of Interest is on fashion.

I also recently bought Molly Young's "quarantine book" (a book written during quarantine) called The Things They Fancied. Avery recommended it to me and says it's really good. Currently working my way through Kennedy Fraser's The Fashionable Mind, which is a collection of fashion essays she wrote for The New Yorker. Plan to read Molly's mini-book after this one.

theh00d

Reaction score

Thanks! Yeah I prefer the color and the length on the TS a lot more
Appreciate the input!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members