• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably less likely to create a stir if transported back to 1967 than if he were wearing a shell-suit and an 80s hair style.
Very true....the suit picture was light hearted but I think that the electric scooter is valid,if electric scooters with roof were available in 1963 i think that they would have found favour with modernists.

Swampster

Reaction score
As for transport I’m seriously considering getting a Royal Alloy GP 300 which is a scooter that looks a lot like the Lambretta SX but has all modern engine, brakes, suspension, injector etc. I was never one to be farting Fabius getting oily hands with technology that’s now sixty years old so this is the perfect compromise for me. If I had silly money I’d get one of those recreated E-Types with power steering etc. just like me, preserving the pinnacle of style but updating the unseen bits!
I think cars are a good example. I like something which at least nods in the direction of a sixties look but I'm not so tied to it that I want the original brakes. I really don't intend dying just yet. OTOH I don't mind the odd irrational feature. The central speedo kept for the first models of the revised Mini was pretty pointless but I miss it even though the new layout is more sensible.

Clothes-wise, there are far more practical forms of outerwear than raincoats and overcoats, but for a good chunk of my life, I've gone with what is generally less versatile without being too impractical. When I had to do a lot of standing around outside during the winter of the pandemic, a long overcoat was actually better than most technical jackets would have been - I wasn't about to get a long puffer coat.

Nine below zero - first band I saw (1981 I think). Couldn't hear for a week. Just found out they are playing Coventy next month - rather tempted.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have my Dad’s midnight blue crombie and a very nice Hickey Freeman herringbone chesterfield topcoat. I used to wear them when I was going to New York monthly for work but neither have seen the light of day in some time since I only go there periodically now. They are the best looking and functional outerwear when suited up but I agree not very practical otherwise. One theory for the demise of long coat popularity is that more people drive than walk or use public transport for work so a shorter coat is more practical. In a city like London or New York where you can’t avoid being out in the elements they are still useful. In suburban living where you drive everywhere or drive to an indoor parking garage at work there’s no need for a long coat.

Would definitely see NBZ if they were near me. The original bass player Pete Clark was the son of ‘Cod Eyes Clark’ our deputy head at school.

Swampster

Reaction score
Would definitely see NBZ if they were near me. The original bass player Pete Clark was the son of ‘Cod Eyes Clark’ our deputy head at school.
Dr Feelgood are on the same bill. Closest I got see to them was taking an advert off a brick wall in Norwich when the band played in Lowestoft. I might still have it somewhere. The current line-up shows it is a bit of a Trigger's broom.

Last edited:

Swampster

Reaction score
I can remember the astonishment and arguments about Trainers being worn instead of shoes, people saying things like 'those Plimsolls should be worn for sports' etc etc....now you probably see Trainers worn more than any other type of footwear from little children to senior citizens...
tbh I am not saying thats a good thing although Trainers are fairly practical and comfotable...I wonder if their dominance will ever be ended ?
While waiting around in Brum Bull Ring, I played a game of 'who isn't wearing trainers'. I don't think it was even 1% of men and not many more women. I did the same in Cheltenham, also on a weekend - much higher number of men in boots or 'proper' shoes. Perhaps 50% or even more. It may have made a difference that the Literary Festival was on.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dr Feelgood are on the same bill. Closest I got see to them was taking an advert off a brick wall in Norwich when the band played in Lowestoft. I might still have it somewhere. The current line-up shows it is a bit of a Trigger's broom.

Alright Dave?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While waiting around in Brum Bull Ring, I played a game of 'who isn't wearing trainers'. I don't think it was even 1% of men and not many more women. I did the same in Cheltenham, also on a weekend - much higher number of men in boots or 'proper' shoes. Perhaps 50% or even more. It may have made a difference that the Literary Festival was on.
Maybe younger people around the Bull Ring than in Cheltenham ? or maybe people in Cheltenham are well heeled (!) compared to Brummies ?
Funny thing is seeing so many old (as in very old)people wearing Traines from Aldi or Primark, probably because they are lighter and more comfy than shoes ?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tempted by these Lois jumbo cords from 80CC...apparently still made in Spain although a comment says the fabric seems quite thin....sizing seems a lottery.....
s-l1600.jpg

Swampster

Reaction score
Maybe younger people around the Bull Ring than in Cheltenham ? or maybe people in Cheltenham are well heeled (!) compared to Brummies ?
Funny thing is seeing so many old (as in very old)people wearing Traines from Aldi or Primark, probably because they are lighter and more comfy than shoes ?
Obviously a completely unscientific survey :) but there were plenty of older people in Brum and just about all of them were wearing trainers. Of the very few who wore other footwear, there was a skew towards gentlemen of a certain age. The Cheltenham crowd were also fairly mixed in age though you are right that they were almost certainly more affluent. I'd have said that someone in their twenties in either place was probably in trainers, someone in their fifties would almost certainly be in trainers in Brum but probably in shoes or boots in Cheltenham. It could also, in fairness, be significant that the literary festival was on - people may have dressed up a bit.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Bad idea to keep TLGO going imo,it stifles any future thread.
In any case I intend to stop posting on TLGO,its more than outlived its useful lifespan.

Does anyone know where AYP went ? he did mention another forum can anyone remember which ?
AYP quit the forum a long time ago (he is the tattooed guy that TWD mentioned a few days ago that liked mountaineering).
At least when he said he was going, he did go away for good… 🤭😉

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Bad idea to keep TLGO going imo,it stifles any future thread.”

The original post was more about developments than ‘stifling’.

Somewhere along the way, it became similar to the ‘Mod to Suedehead‘ thread which appeals more to those who want to exactly replicate a particular style and can be prone to ‘costume’

I would say this thread is more similar, or maybe a rival to ‘Here and Now’. It is definitely not as narrow as ‘Mod to Suedehead’.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AYP quit the forum a long time ago (he is the tattooed guy that TWD mentioned a few days ago that liked mountaineering).
At least when he said he was going, he did go away for good… 🤭😉
I mentioned my hypocrisy in another post and you have found another example...I plead guilty but tbh I felt that the 80s Casual and Casual/Mod stuff was more suited to TLGO.....

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Bad idea to keep TLGO going imo,it stifles any future thread.”

The original post was more about developments than ‘stifling’.

Somewhere along the way, it became similar to the ‘Mod to Suedehead‘ thread which appeals more to those who want to exactly replicate a particular style and can be prone to ‘costume’

I would say this thread is more similar, or maybe a rival to ‘Here and Now’. It is definitely not as narrow as ‘Mod to Suedehead’.
I dont want to resurrect this thread,as I said the Casuals stuff was more relevant on here.

'Here and now' is great for up to date ideas but maybe there is room for another thread something like 'there and then' ?

I thought about it when I was (correctly) criticised for posting about literary James Bond on 'Here & now'..

'there and then' could include pretty much anything not covered by 'Mod to Suedehead' or anything up to date that should be on 'Here and now'..

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I dont want to resurrect this thread,as I said the Casuals stuff was more relevant on here.

'Here and now' is great for up to date ideas but maybe there is room for another thread something like 'there and then' ?

I thought about it when I was (correctly) criticised for posting about literary James Bond on 'Here & now'..

'there and then' could include pretty much anything not covered by 'Mod to Suedehead' or anything up to date that should be on 'Here and now'..
Not a bad idea per se but apart a chit-chat about casuals that won’t last, what topic? Revival skins and revival mods ? MtS is already digressing on that stuff for many years…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads