• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Japanese Repro Clothing Thread (Real McCoys, Freewheelers, Etc.)

elongatedskull

Reaction score
Toys use really really lovely colour formulas, their blank tees and sweats are as nice as any of the other makers. I like the Marilyn Monroe items quite a lot personally. If I was in the market for an A-2 I wouldn't hesitate to go for that Steve McQueen model!

kurdo

Reaction score
I don't like Toys because it has too many patches and graphics. Real McCoys is generally much cleaner.
I like both. Toys McCoys is almost like you're wearing ... well, toys. I love the subtle playfulness of their designs. Basically their vision (and sometimes accurate reproductions) of how the "clean" army/company-commissioned apparel may have been personalized by servicemen/company-men.

kurdo

Reaction score
Toys use really really lovely colour formulas, their blank tees and sweats are as nice as any of the other makers. I like the Marilyn Monroe items quite a lot personally. If I was in the market for an A-2 I wouldn't hesitate to go for that Steve McQueen model!
I love their Steve McQueen, Taxi Driver & recurring Felix the Cat lines the most. I wonder what their rarest pieces are. Currently making a wishlist, mostly older stuff. Need to get my hands on their old catalogs, will make the hunt much easier :D

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
What's it called when you get FOMO when it's already too late? I've come across so many older Toys McCoy items that I'd like to have. Toys McCoy doesn't seem to have a big following or many international stockists, unlike other Japanese repro brands.

Since this brand has been around for decades, I'll assume there are other Toys McCoy fans here. I'd like to hear more general thoughts & opinions about this brand from those fans.

And are the old & new Toys McCoy catalogs available online? Physical catalogs for sale would be even better! :D
I have not tried any toy mccoys just real mccoys but the brand seems to make nice things. Like another user said real mccoys makes a "cleaner" product

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
I recently bought my first Deluxeware shirt. It is the 7640 40S DENIM SHIRT. It is a unique shirt and am excited to wear it out. The denim looks raw but it is really soft and comfortable from the start, no real stiffness compared to a 3sixteen Denim jacket or RGT ISC shirt.

I would like to try one of their sweaters and chinos next, they seem to make a lot of slightly unique items.

IMG_2228.jpg

unique-jean_s105-00

Last edited:

Freshnewduds23

Reaction score
Anyone know any makers who make an M65 in different lengths? e.g. Small Short?

To piggy back on @Rnam's questions.. I also have a trip to Tokyo soon.. really don't know where to start when it comes to shopping. Any comprehensive guides? I'd like to checkout Hinoya, RMFB, and McCoys, Beams.. but what other stores are there? Similar to Hinoya too, which carry everything?

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To piggy back on @Rnam's questions.. I also have a trip to Tokyo soon.. really don't know where to start when it comes to shopping. Any comprehensive guides? I'd like to checkout Hinoya, RMFB, and McCoys, Beams.. but what other stores are there? Similar to Hinoya too, which carry everything?
No real comprehensive guides, but the majority of shops in Tokyo will be in and around Shinjuku/Harajuku and Shibuya. Some shops in Ueno and Ebisu. Just depends on what you're looking for.

On top of Hinoya, another really good multi-brand shop in Ueno is Americaya. I'd base my searches off specific things I was interested at looking at and/or buying and then drop google map pins everywhere.

kurdo

Reaction score
I recently bought my first Deluxeware shirt. It is the 7640 40S DENIM SHIRT. It is a unique shirt and am excited to wear it out. The denim looks raw but it is really soft and comfortable from the start, no real stiffness compared to a 3sixteen Denim jacket or RGT ISC shirt.

I would like to try one of their sweaters and chinos next, they seem to make a lot of slightly unique items.

View attachment 2188519

unique-jean_s105-00
That's a very handsome shirt. May have to get it myself.

Jerkstore

Reaction score

Here is my Tokyo Post:

You won't find Iron Heart anywhere in Tokyo except for the main store on Hochigi and good luck getting there. Go to Iron Heart Osaka (still off the beaten path, but only 30min versus 2.5 hours)

Otherwise, go to:
Ueno: Hinoya (3 stores all right near each other and each carry different brands), Americaya
Shibuya/Harajakju: The Real McCoys, Flat Head, Full Count, Studio D'Artisan, Momotaro (in a mall on the second floor), and Pure Blue Japan.
Ebisu: Jelado, Warehouse

My advice is to start at Warehouse and work back to Pure Blue Japan or vice versa. You'll easily hit them all.

When you go to Ueno, hit up the food stalls under the train station. Then walk to Akihabara and play some video games.

Also, go to dinner at Ginza Steak Second Shop. $100 AYCE Wagyu. Solid spot.

I love Tokyo.

elongatedskull

Reaction score
I love their Steve McQueen, Taxi Driver & recurring Felix the Cat lines the most. I wonder what their rarest pieces are. Currently making a wishlist, mostly older stuff. Need to get my hands on their old catalogs, will make the hunt much easier :D
It's a safe bet that the rarest pieces are probably the hand painted A-2's, that goes for Toys-adjacent brands too.

elongatedskull

Reaction score

Surplus only. The RMC 'early model' M-65 used to be cut significantly shorter but I think they may have revised this trait on the new pattern.

balkong

Reaction score
I'm looking for new white pocket t-shirts, any suggestions? I wear a 42/XL in Warehouse 4601. Whitesville pocket tees seem to be available right now in bigger sizes, any experiences with these? Other interesting options I'm looking at are Sunray Sportswear and Sure Mfg... Anything else?
Any help is appreciated!

Jerkstore

Reaction score
I'm looking for new white pocket t-shirts, any suggestions? I wear a 42/XL in Warehouse 4601. Whitesville pocket tees seem to be available right now in bigger sizes, any experiences with these? Other interesting options I'm looking at are Sunray Sportswear and Sure Mfg... Anything else?
Any help is appreciated!
Rogue Territory t shirts are pretty nice (I have ever color but white). Not JP, but same world.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78