1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Ideal Shell Cordovan Shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Oct 24, 2007.

1. BBC

BBC Well-Known Member

Alden for BB lhs - the unlined shell wears like a slipper.
    [​IMG]

2. john dozier

john dozier Member

Hit the wrong button. My abject apologies.

3. john dozier

john dozier Member

The Alden tassel moc in ravello. Ravishing! BTW Pelle Line has them in stock in D and E widths only.

4. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

5. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

They very good colour and me like them alot.

Vass wien on budapest last with goiser stitch is best shoe in shell.
    Me need saddle shell for a wien. [​IMG]

6. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

This is the question I'm really trying to figure out. I want a shell shoe to wear to work on most days in burgundy. Needs to be really durable for hospital, fairly dressy, appropriate to wear with wool pants, shirt and tie. Would like for it to work with a suit too.

I'm kind of stuck between Alden plain toe blutcher and straight toe blutcher (is a captoe). I really like the look of some of these longwings. I'm really indecisive on this one, and I'd love to hear some opinions on this (considering I don't own any shell shoes and can't afford to buy repeatedly).

7. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

This is the question I'm really trying to figure out. I want a shell shoe to wear to work on most days in burgundy. Needs to be really durable for hospital, fairly dressy, appropriate to wear with wool pants, shirt and tie. Would like for it to work with a suit too.

I'm kind of stuck between Alden plain toe blutcher and straight toe blutcher (is a captoe). I really like the look of some of these longwings. I'm really indecisive on this one, and I'd love to hear some opinions on this (considering I don't own any shell shoes and can't afford to buy repeatedly).

AE Leeds?

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Alden for BB unlined #8 LHS, and Alden cigar longwing. But only if the cigar is on the red, and not the olive, end of the cigar spectrum.

9. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

AE Leeds?
    Could do AE leeds. The burgundy color #8 seems better in Alden. What is the main difference between the AE leeds and the plain toe blucher from Alden?

10. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

They very good colour and me like them alot.

Vass wien on budapest last with goiser stitch is best shoe in shell.
    Me need saddle shell for a wien. [​IMG]

better hurry, as they might not have that color when you are wanting it

11. Butter

Butter Well-Known Member

imo
    ]

Ravello cap toe boot

[​IMG]

but the Ravello's almost shouldn't count b/c they are so hard to find

Alden's Anniversary boot right? Impossible to find.

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Could do AE leeds. The burgundy color #8 seems better in Alden. What is the main difference between the AE leeds and the plain toe blucher from Alden?

Pretty sure the color is defined by horween, any color difference is probably due to natural variation in color (shell is apparently a PITA to dye) or lighting conditions. #8 shell in AE should be the same stuff as #8 shell in Alden.

13. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the color is defined by horween, any color difference is probably due to natural variation in color (shell is apparently a PITA to dye) or lighting conditions. #8 shell in AE should be the same stuff as #8 shell in Alden.

I think there's long been a consensus that Alden redyes or overdyes their #8 shells that they get from Horween. They seem to be the only ones with that deep purple--almost black--color. AE's burgundy is usually a good bit lighter.

14. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Plain toe monkstrap. For all the same reasons as the plain toe blucher, but with a bit of added interest above the vamp.
    This (Ron Rider's picture): [​IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us And the creasing after about a year of being worn approximately once a week: [​IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us Edit: Doc and Mr. Moo, how do you get your shell cordovan to take such a great shine. My C&J for RL shell cordovan shoes (Darlton wingtips and MacCallum chukkas) always look a little dull.

15. BBC

BBC Well-Known Member

I think there's long been a consensus that Alden redyes or overdyes their #8 shells that they get from Horween. They seem to be the only ones with that deep purple--almost black--color. AE's burgundy is usually a good bit lighter.

+1

16. Snowman_SE

Snowman_SE Active Member

I'd go for a semi-brogue Derby (or Blucher I think the yanks calls it). In a light shade. Like this one from EG in Whiskey.

[​IMG]

17. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

PTB complete with Sharpei-like ripples, from Vass. Called antique cognac but looks more like ravello in reality.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. CrackedCrab

CrackedCrab Well-Known Member

[​IMG] saint crispins chisel toe, semaless heel, antique cognac. [​IMG]

19. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

saint crispins chisel toe, semaless heel, antique cognac.

[​IMG]

cordovan? very very nice.