• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of the more recent pages in this thread have some not-so-great experiences with Wazin. I assume Frank is from TR? If so, it was a female who I spoke with regarding shortening my jacket collar, so perhaps if I spoke directly with Frank he would understand what I was looking for. Bhambi is another name that I’ve read about a lot here as an expensive but great tailor, however not much recent feedback.

That would have been Andrea you spoke to. I have also had her accept garments for alteration and haven't had a problem. She is dress pattern-maker by former trade and so specializes there, but I think they're all fairly well-rounded. Frank took the measurements for my partner's dress alteration, for example, although it was worked on by Andrea.

As noted previously in this thread, I wouldn't not recommend Wazin other than the factors of price and attention received for that price. I think the results I received were satisfactory in most cases, but I was left with a bad taste once or twice. To be clear, I have also had trousers taken in higher than expected at the Tailoring Room, which they then remedied.

For what it's worth, you can text the Tailoring Room at their listed number and provide a link to something demonstrating what you're talking about, if you're worried about confirming prior to going in person.

Last edited:

epsilon22

Reaction score
A bit off-topic, but where do you all bring your jackets/trousers for dry cleaning in the NYC area, and how much do they typically cost?

Buggy

Reaction score
A bit off-topic, but where do you all bring your jackets/trousers for dry cleaning in the NYC area, and how much do they typically cost?
Similarly, where do you all get jackets pressed? I have a linen jacket that was shipped pretty horribly from eBay. The lapel is bent out of whack so the jacket needs to be pretty much completely reshaped. Not really sure I want to drop it off at a random cleaner.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been going to Dunrite in Park Slope for over 5 years. Best I've encountered at the price point.

Couldn't tell you offhand the pricing other than overcoats are $40 so go down from there. I think trousers are between $12-15.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my suit just goes to dry cleaner downstairs, but I spot clean 99% of the time myself. Pants get more often than jacket but all pretty rare, with jacket you have to be careful about 3 roll to 2 (be sure they don’t press it like a true 3).

If I need lapel to be ironed I go to Wazin, he did for free back then as in like way before COVID (guess I did bring a lot stuff to him), think he charges now, no idea how much. Though i would think all the alterations guys can do it just whether if they want to do iron lapel job

unstable

Reaction score
Has anyone been to Master Tailor on W 85th street? It's run by an Asian father and daughter combo. I'm paying $100 to get overcoat sleeves shortened, which feels expensive, although they are also correcting my past tailor's mistake, so it's a little bit more expensive (usually $80). I will let you guys know how it goes, but I'm honestly not the most discerning so I wonder if anyone else has used them.

They said they used to be on the UES around E 70th & 2nd Ave until four years ago. Pricey, but it's way, way more convenient than trekking down to the LES as I live in the area.

Here's their website: https://www.mastertailornyc.com/about.

unstable

Reaction score
What were they called when they were in UES?
Unfortunately I didn't think to ask that. I presumed the same?

Edit: here is ILTUWS on their business:
Master Tailor opened on the Upper West Side last year. Before this, the Kim’s had a business under a different name on the Upper East Side.

Maddude

Reaction score
I recently learned that Dashnor in the UES closed permanently :( According to the "Gentlemen's Resale" consignment store next door, the landlord raised the rent and he decided to shutter. So sad :( He was so great!!!! I guess I now have to trek down to LR.

lowlander

Reaction score
I recently learned that Dashnor in the UES closed permanently :( According to the "Gentlemen's Resale" consignment store next door, the landlord raised the rent and he decided to shutter. So sad :( He was so great!!!! I guess I now have to trek down to LR.
What is LR?

I was also disappointed Dashnor closed. I spent a lot of time searching out a good tailor and traveling across town for his work.

Now I have to find an alternative, any borough. Any suggestions?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Data Point: Just came back from The Tailoring Room to have the sleeves of a sport coat shortened. Cost was $55 and was completed in less than a week.

TAFJIR

Reaction score
What is LR?

I was also disappointed Dashnor closed. I spent a lot of time searching out a good tailor and traveling across town for his work.

Now I have to find an alternative, any borough. Any suggestions?

Same, he went back to Tom Ford, I’m holding out hope that he may do house visits eventually. In the meantime I’ve tried Sam Leung which is down the road, the results have been mixed.

Reaction score
Who do you all recommend for simple jobs, e.g. trouser and sport coat alterations. My typical alterations are taking in trousers at the waist, hemming, and taking in jackets. I went to Wazin once for alterations on a suit but found him overpriced, and have also read the other dissatisfied reviews on this thread. For now I've switched to a small mom-and-pop tailor on the Upper East Side but have also been surprised by their pricing. Maybe I'm just out of the loop on what a tailor in NYC costs. I'm home for the holidays in the Bay Area and took a jacket in to be altered. I'm paying less than half here what I would in NYC.

I see people above are recommending The Tailoring Room. Other recommendations in this thread seem to have gone out of business. Would love to hear any more recommendations for reliable spots to take in simple requests. I'd also be keen to hear what people are paying for simple jacket alterations, taking in trousers, hemming, etc. I have little frame of reference at the moment. I know there's another thread that's addressed this but given inflation and NYC-pricing, it's out of date.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to Master Tailor on W 85th street? It's run by an Asian father and daughter combo. I'm paying $100 to get overcoat sleeves shortened, which feels expensive, although they are also correcting my past tailor's mistake, so it's a little bit more expensive (usually $80). I will let you guys know how it goes, but I'm honestly not the most discerning so I wonder if anyone else has used them.

They said they used to be on the UES around E 70th & 2nd Ave until four years ago. Pricey, but it's way, way more convenient than trekking down to the LES as I live in the area.

Here's their website: https://www.mastertailornyc.com/about.
so expensive... but i guess someone's gotta pay the rent.
Who do you all recommend for simple jobs, e.g. trouser and sport coat alterations. My typical alterations are taking in trousers at the waist, hemming, and taking in jackets. I went to Wazin once for alterations on a suit but found him overpriced, and have also read the other dissatisfied reviews on this thread. For now I've switched to a small mom-and-pop tailor on the Upper East Side but have also been surprised by their pricing. Maybe I'm just out of the loop on what a tailor in NYC costs. I'm home for the holidays in the Bay Area and took a jacket in to be altered. I'm paying less than half here what I would in NYC.

I see people above are recommending The Tailoring Room. Other recommendations in this thread seem to have gone out of business. Would love to hear any more recommendations for reliable spots to take in simple requests. I'd also be keen to hear what people are paying for simple jacket alterations, taking in trousers, hemming, etc. I have little frame of reference at the moment. I know there's another thread that's addressed this but given inflation and NYC-pricing, it's out of date.
If you're willing to travel to Brooklyn, so many great options here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads