• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the significance but we bought in 2012.

If had 10k the month I graduated high school, I'd have been worth more than my parent.

Can we at least agree that we’re better off having bought instead of renting? That was my original point after all.

I haven’t looked at all of the houses around here, but our next door neighbors bought in 2014, and their house has just about doubled in value.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've never done a breakdown, or read a breakdown, but didn't Omega just post one that indicated renting would probably be better in the Denver area?

My view of personal finances is you decide what feels the best for your situation and then come up with the way to financially optimize it. Personal finances IMO, as I keep saying, is about more than just the math. Make your choices then use some math in optimizing how to implement your choices. It seems that's what you and your wife are doing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Who the hell would dump their housing money into the S&P? Isn't the better comp Interest Rate vs. Money Market return?

For instance, our 3% mortgage rate is lower than our 4.4% from Marcus so we have cash idle.

We've had this very discussion here more than once and I know it's a common discussion on some finance/investment fora. I think maybe @otc once did some maths on this?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never done a breakdown, or read a breakdown, but didn't Omega just post one that indicated renting would probably be better in the Denver area?

Not for us.There is no one size fits all approach. Also, Boulder’s housing market is way hotter than Denver or most other parts of the metro area.

“Buying saves you $670,000”.

With no intention of moving, buying makes more sense that renting.

If you can’t stay put, by all means rent.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Not for us.There is no one size fits all approach. Also, Boulder’s housing market is way hotter than Denver or most other parts of the metro area.

I keep saying it's all about personal choice.

Per Omega's link, renting would make even more financial sense in Boulder.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who the hell would dump their housing money into the S&P? Isn't the better comp Interest Rate vs. Money Market return?

For instance, our 3% mortgage rate is lower than our 4.4% from Marcus so we have cash idle.
Why wouldn't you?

It isn't really housing money after all...it is just money.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have been reading all this BS with the lens of buying a house and/or keeping down payment in the S&P vs. MM.

Now I see some are going back to the calculator thing where you plug in rent vs. mortgage in the market. Understand the difference now...

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
With no intention of moving, buying makes more sense that renting.

If you can’t stay put, by all means rent.
As a general rule, is just not true... its VERY ymmv, depending on where you live.

You also keep bringing up SF and Denver (very hot housing markets), like these are typical of the US as a whole. Also - do you expect housing to appreciate at the same pace for the next decade(s)?

brokencycle

Reaction score
As a general rule, is just not true... its VERY ymmv, depending on where you live.

You also keep bringing up SF and Denver (very hot housing markets), like these are typical of the US as a whole. Also - do you expect housing to appreciate at the same pace for the next decade(s)?

Someone posted a tweet yesterday about how deaths will start outpacing births in the US in <15 years based on updated demographic trends. That probably is going to impact housing prices just a bit if the population starts shrinking.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone posted a tweet yesterday about how deaths will start outpacing births in the US in <15 years based on updated demographic trends. That probably is going to impact housing prices just a bit if the population starts shrinking.
So I better sell my house now and start renting to take advantage of this in 20 years.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, YMMV. It’s personal choice.

I chose to live where I do, just like I chose to move out of the Bay Area.

I’d have said the same thing about house prices in the Bay Are thirty years ago. Surely that trend wasn’t going to continue!

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The other "personal choice" factor that's not really weighed in the calculator is simply property availability for the particular type of housing you want. There's a lot fewer single family homes available for rent than for purchase.

Plus, if you actually like to be able to modify your property, that pretty much locks you into owning.

I ran the numbers for my place and it said I'm saving almost two million dollars over 30 years by buying when I did vs renting at current prices. Not exactly a fair comparison considering prices and mortgage rates have also gone up, but I'm happy with that decision. Renting in my neighborhood is currently more than double my mortgage, and there's only about two properties that I've seen up for rent in the last decade.

It's definitely good to question the conventional wisdom that buying is always better than renting. Too many younger people act like they're getting totally screwed by not being able to buy, and that's not necessarily true.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, YMMV. It’s personal choice.

I chose to live where I do, just like I chose to move out of the Bay Area.

I’d have said the same thing about house prices in the Bay Are thirty years ago. Surely that trend wasn’t going to continue!
Most cost effective choice is obvious. Just be homeless.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshuaweleye