• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Elusive Lapel Chain; where do you find them?

Liammccabe

Reaction score
Hi all!

So I've been thinking about acquiring a lapel chain for a while and, having look for them, I've realized that they're actually pretty hard to find! There appears to be a small number of companies (and some individuals) who actually make them, and they often aren't well advertised or easy to locate. Additionally, they are often more expensive than you might expect.

So, based on this, I thought it might be helpful to compile a thread, for posterity and what not, of who is making these, where they can be found, and the rough prices we're looking at! So here's what I've got so far!

• Barbarulo Napoli - Barbarulo Napoli have probably one of the broadest and most versatile ranges of lapel chains, due to their varied use of interesting materials and the use a charm on either end of the chain, rather than a simple t-bar as is the case with most other brands! They mostly feature a horn on one side (which seems to be key to their brand identity) and another motif on the other end. Their materials are myriad, using coral, malachite, lapis lazuli, mother of pearl, enameled silver and other more. Sometimes they use beads of the aforementioned materials instead of a chain, although these are pushing into the upper parts of their price range, often including small diamonds. I've found them on both en.michaeljondral.com and www.violamilano.com. They seem to me on the more affordable end of the spectrum, usually about 160EUR (first image) at their lower end to over 550EUR (second image).
  • The Armoury - The well known atelier from Hong Kong and New York, The Armoury have produced a lovely range of lapel chains, all of which seem to be inspired by east Asian imagery, motifs and characters. They come in silver, with a gold plated option and are made by Penko at 280USD (first image) or Patinova at 340USD (second image).
  • Monsieur Fox - Seemingly hard to find anywhere in stock, they seem to do a single product; an "infinity knot" charm done on a chain, ending in a t-bar in silver, with the choice of plain silver, gold or rose gold plating. The price also seems to on the very high end, up and around 700USD+! I may also have seen them do animal motifs while researching this, but I can't rediscover any such images!
  • AleksJJ Attired - Menswear blogger Aleks JJ, able to be found on instagram and at his own website, has designed a lovely lapel chain and has them handmade by a goldsmith in Sweden. Available in silver or rose gold plated silver, they have a rose charm on the end, and a t-bar at the other. You can't just pop online and buy them, and seem only to be purchasable via email with Aleks himself at [email protected]. I have contacted him before to make an inquiry, and he has said that production time is usually two to three weeks (although he may have some ready to be shipped if lucky) and it can be paid for via invoice or paypal. Not an inexpensive choice, coming in at 3000 Swedish Krone, which is roughly 240GPB, 284EUR or 314USD, but they are very well done!

If anyone knows of anyone beyond this, please do add to the list!

Attachments

• 1579642633703.png
    1579642633703.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1579643249082.png
    1579643249082.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

KWang94

Reaction score
Sad thing is, Monsieur Fox's lapel chain price was more than doubled over the last 5 years or so. Pretty crazy and honestly not worth it.

I would wear The Armoury's lapel chain if I were to be married.

Liammccabe

Reaction score
I've also run into a few cheaper options as well!

On here on Etsy! By a store called SperoAccessories, they cost between 24GBP and 35GBP and with a rose gold tone coating, and also with bird and bee motifs.

There also this one on a website called Harrison Blake. It costs 18USD, the lowest of any yet, but I have no idea what the charm is at all!

Liammccabe

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the lapel chain? Is it purely decorative or is it supposed to attach to a pocket watch?

Here's a blog I found discussing it earlier today. Your instincts are absolutelty spot on, it was originally for a pocket watch when being worn without a waistcoat; they would put their chain's t-bar through their lapel button hole and put the timepiece in the breast pocket.

Mostly decorative these days, but its a nice little nod to the past that adds a little unique visual appeal without overpowering other elements od the outfit. I am a fan, just yet to pull the trigger on one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads