• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desert Boot and Chukka appreciation/review thread

Fehr

Reaction score
Interesting. I just took a look at their site and Sanders suggest going half a size down in the Luther. So TTS may be a good bet. Have you tried on the high top in the past? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks for pointing that out.

Now trying to find stock in the US to give them a try...

edit** The hi tops also come in a 'Sam' model made with the same SNO round toe last as the Luther
Yep, the Sam is the loosier version of the Hi-Top. I think it was precisely made to be an alternative to the narrow toed Hi-Top without losing the sleek outsole profile.

In my opinion, in terms of overall presentation, the Hi-Top is still the one to beat. Because of its sophisticated yet mildly rugged look, it made its way to Bond’s wardrobe.

Between the High-Top and Sam, I would still prefer the former’s narrow toe design. The Sam, on the other hand, partly lost the sophistication but still retained the sleek outsole profile.

Why I still don’t own these Sanders crepe soled chukkas, it’s because of their notoriously well known crepe foxing easily disintegrating in just a few wears. Until they fix this, I’m not looking to own a pair.

Fehr

Reaction score
I just ordered these from Sid Mashburn: https://shopmashburn.com/products/sid-mashburn-chukka-boot-snuff-suede-s53461

Made in Spain. $450. Wondering who might be making them.

They fit small, though. I ordered my normal size 11US, and on the box the manufacturer label lists 45 (most EU makers, I'm a 44). But they're snug and fit more like a 10.5. So I ordered another half size up to see how it goes. But they're a great boot, with a great shape and the price is good considering Carmina is now nearly $600.
Nice except for the shorter length heel which I’m not a fan of.

If you’re not into the brand, consider the Idrese Hudson. It’s only $300 and ‘made to order’ and looks similar with the same Dainite sole but longer heel length?

Cheers.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
I received the two pair of the Brownflex last week. The Size 10 was a bit snug, while the Size 11 was way too big (even larger that the Greenflex).

While the Brownflex did provide a narrower profile than the Greenflex, the quality of the suede was (surprisingly) not good. The nap was too shaggy (and not intentionally) and some sections looked worn out and tired.

I sadly ended up returning both pair.

Here are some side-by sides with the Brownflex on the left and the Greenflex on the right
IMG_8791.jpeg
IMG_8790.jpeg

The appearance of low-quality suede.
IMG_8793.jpeg

I thought about giving the 10US a shot but I was really displeased with the overall condition of the suede.

Here is the texture of the suede on the stone colorway Brownflex.
IMG_8877.jpeg

Here is the tobacco colorway that I ordered. Note the condition of the suede. IMO, it appears to be too hairy/shaggy and the color of the suede was uneven.
IMG_8878.jpeg

Also, I’m including this pic of a Clark Desert Boot since it is actually called “Hairy” Ginger Suede. Note the evenness of the nap/texture.
IMG_8879.jpeg

Honestly, the Brownflex looks, at best, like a “second”.

IMG_8800.jpeg

Last edited:

Fehr

Reaction score
I received the two pair of the Brownflex last week. The Size 10 was a bit snug, while the Size 11 was way too big (even larger that the Greenflex).

While the Brownflex did provide narrower profile than the Greenflex, the quality of the suede was (surprisingly) not good. The nap was too shaggy (and not intentionally) and some sections looked worn out and tired.

Here are some side-by sides. View attachment 2151661 View attachment 2151663

The appearance of low quality suede. View attachment 2151665

I thought about giving the 10US a shot but I was really displeased with the overall condition of the suede.

Here is the texture of the suede on the stone colorway Brownflex. View attachment 2151675

Here is the tobacco colorway that I ordered. Note the condition of the suede. IMO, it appears to be too hairy/shaggy.
View attachment 2151673

Also, I’m including this pic of a Clark Desert Boot since it is actually called “Hairy” Ginger Suede. View attachment 2151671

Honestly, the Brownflex looks like a “second”.
And you got them from Huckberry, right? Looks like the shagginess of the nap was the result of multiple cleaning or brushing.

The location of the white spot near the heel on the tobacco is identical to the dark chestnut’s I got from AFPOS. Could have been from the machine at the factory. Try combing it in different directions and see which stroke will make it disappear. I brushed mine with vinyl gloves backwards and the white spot disappeared.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While the Brownflex did provide narrower profile than the Greenflex, the quality of the suede was (surprisingly) not good. The nap was too shaggy (and not intentionally) and some sections looked worn out and tired.

Here are some side-by sides. View attachment 2151661 View attachment 2151663

The appearance of low quality suede. View attachment 2151665

Here is the texture of the suede on the stone colorway Brownflex. View attachment 2151675

Here is the tobacco colorway that I ordered. Note the condition of the suede. IMO, it appears to be too hairy/shaggy.
View attachment 2151673

Also, I’m including this pic of a Clark Desert Boot since it is actually called “Hairy” Ginger Suede. View attachment 2151671

Honestly, the Brownflex looks like a “second”.

Thank you for reporting. Yes, very disappointing, you were right in returning them.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
And you got them from Huckberry, right? Looks like the shagginess of the nap was the result of multiple cleaning or brushing.

The location of the white spot near the heel on the tobacco is identical to the dark chestnut’s I got from AFPOS. Could have been from the machine at the factory. Try combing it in different directions and see which stroke will make it disappear. I brushed mine with vinyl gloves backwards and the white spot disappeared.

I did purchase them from Huckberry. Along with my return, I emailed them and pointed out not only the poor condition of the suede (which was surprising coming from Astorflex), also one pair was missing the second set of laces that comes with all Astorflex lace-ups (one round and one flat) and both boots did not come with the original packaging that’s usually included (brochures and tags).

One pair didn’t even come in the original box but rather some generic white gift box.

Finally I suggested that perhaps mailing shoe boxes in a plastic bag was not the best way to mail shoe boxes. One box was crushed. I received an apologetic response addressing the poor packaging but nothing regarding the poor quality of the boot. But maybe that’s why the tobacco colorway was on sale while the others were not. They recognize it and are dumping them.

All in all, very surprising coming from Huckberry since all of my previous experiences with their outfit have been top-notch.

Fehr

Reaction score

While the Brownflex did provide a narrower profile than the Greenflex, the quality of the suede was (surprisingly) not good. The nap was too shaggy (and not intentionally) and some sections looked worn out and tired.

Here are some side-by sides with the Brownflex on the left and the Greenflex on the right View attachment 2151661 View attachment 2151663

The appearance of low-quality suede. View attachment 2151665

Here is the tobacco colorway that I ordered. Note the condition of the suede. IMO, it appears to be too hairy/shaggy and the color of the suede was uneven.
View attachment 2151673

Also, I’m including this pic of a Clark Desert Boot since it is actually called “Hairy” Ginger Suede. Note the evenness of the nap/texture. View attachment 2151671

Honestly, the Brownflex looks, at best, like a “second”.

View attachment 2151669
I forgot the size part of your comment. So you’re saying the size 11 of the Brownflex is bigger than the 11 Greenflex…may I ask by how much?

And yes, they shouln’t be shipped in those blue plastic bags. The one I got had one corner of the box lid torn up. I guess free returns meant plastic bags - you know - they had to cut corners somewhere.

With regard to customer care, they’ve been great so far! I haven’t gotten my refund yet so I cannot comment in this matter.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
I forgot the size part of your comment. So you’re saying the size 11 of the Brownflex is bigger than the 11 Greenflex…may I ask by how much?

And yes, they shouln’t be shipped in those blue plastic bags. The one I got had one corner of the box lid torn up. I guess free returns meant plastic bags - you know - they had to cut corners somewhere.

With regard to customer care, they’ve been great so far! I haven’t gotten my refund yet so I cannot comment in this matter.

It felt as much as 1/2 inch where I feel like the Greenflex was just a tad big but just to be a bit roomy in the toe, but the Brownflex was very large and I would not even think about wearing it as it way too large with too much heel slippage.

I have not received my refund either but they only received the return yesterday but I have no concerns there.

Fehr

Reaction score
It felt as much as 1/2 inch where I feel like the Greenflex was just a tad big but just to be a bit roomy in the toe, but the Brownflex was very large and I would not even think about wearing it as it way too large with too much heel slippage.

I have not received my refund either but they only received the return yesterday but I have no concerns there.
Same experience I had with the Brownflex — too much heel slippage. Tried insole layering but didn’t work. I‘ve mentioned this before, this is partly attributed to the fact that the back heel of the Brownflex has no curvature so the heel of the foot just won’t catch.

Just did a research on the net. Trustpilot had Huck at ‘one star’ when it comes to refunds. That’s something.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that Crockett & Jones has a new chukka called the Bibury. It has a rubber sole. Hard to tell for sure from the photos but it looks like a somewhat softer rubber sole which would interest me for added comfort. Has anyone tried it? If so, how was it?
Unknown.jpeg
slot-4-bibury-snuff-suede.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads