• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Comic Book Thread

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was pretty entertaining for what it was. As for the "continuity Appreciation", I thought it worked well within a given frame but I could see why it wouldn't work for everyone. Cassaday's art was ridiculous though. I still have a poster of the first issue on my wall (with the X-Men doing the cheesy attack pose). His art was that good.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, i didn' tthink it was that bad, i just hate whedon for squandering the opportunity to appeal to the non-comic reading audience. Like "Hey Remember when Colossus died from the Legacy Virus? Hey Remember the Hellfire Club? Hey The Danger Room is sentient isn't that crazy! Hey Remember Xavier's Evil psychc twin?" is all going to ring totally hollow for anyone who doesn't already know all of that ****. It could've been a "hey let's go beat up magneto and comment on how mutants are a thinly veiled metaphor for race/sexuality" that you could give someone who didn't know much about comics, but instead it was just hyper-contextualized and really masturbatory. Also, Whedon's dialogue tends to make everyone sound "pithy" in a really indistinguishable way. Part of what makes the X-men cool is that they're all really different, but when they're all clever whedon-bots, they just kind of mush together. JSC: You might want to try narrowing your focus a little. Not saying the stuff you have picked out is bad, but like, there's a lot of much better stuff out there.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
I mean, i didn' tthink it was that bad, i just hate whedon for squandering the opportunity to appeal to the non-comic reading audience. L

Is there a non-comic reading audience? I went in to the Midtown Comics the other day and almost freaked out when I saw the cover price. I usually buy my comics via ebay.. so i had no idea that there was a $3.99 cover price for 23 or so pages of art. That is $$$$$

Who can afford these things anymore? I think you need to be a "true believer" to shell out $3.99 x multiple comics per month

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.cbr's dawg
laugh.gif

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.cbr ftw.

I download most of mine these days. It lets me ignore comics for a few months, the read them all at once. Mind you, I still go out and buy the collections afterward. Part of the problem is where I live.... the closest place to reliably buy comics is an hour and a half drive away ha ha.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you don't download then try the library. They usually get in TPB's to read.

I forgot that Ennis does The Boys - which is great by the way.

Anybody been reading Brightest Day? I've downloaded them all but haven't looked at them yet.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my hit list right now:

Absolute Dark Knight
We3 Deluxe Edition
I Kill Giants Titan Edition
Astonishing X-Men Omnibus
Thor by J. Michael Straczynski Omnibus
Thor by Walter Simonson Omnibus

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
It was pretty entertaining for what it was. As for the "continuity Appreciation", I thought it worked well within a given frame but I could see why it wouldn't work for everyone. Cassaday's art was ridiculous though. I still have a poster of the first issue on my wall (with the X-Men doing the cheesy attack pose). His art was that good.

Haha, I have the same one. I found Astonishing great, but I am a Whedon fan in any medium. (Except for his Dollhouse, that didn't strike me as good). Cassaday's art just took it to another level, it was beautiful.

estlincs

Reaction score
We3 was a lot of fun, I don't think it was as good as it's made out to be, but a lot of fun. Not sure the need for a "Deluxe edition".

The JMS Thor with Coipel on art is awesome, mostly because Coipel's draws Thor better than anyone.

I thought the Astonishing series was a good read, but mostly because of Cassaday's art. Then Ellis took it over and it **** the bed.

Myself, I just started Starman Omnibus #5.

Also picked up Irredeemable 1 & 2 and Incorruptible.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men is one of the best the franchise has ever had. Everything about it was fantastic. Cassaday's art always pleases too. The man is an amazing comic artist. His work on X-Men and Planetary makes me
inlove.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
fistbump.gif
drool.gif

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men is one of the best the franchise has ever had. Everything about it was fantastic. Cassaday's art always pleases too. The man is an amazing comic artist. His work on X-Men and Planetary makes me
inlove.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
fistbump.gif
drool.gif

Planetary was ******* awesome.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
Haha, I have the same one. I found Astonishing great, but I am a Whedon fan in any medium. (Except for his Dollhouse, that didn't strike me as good). Cassaday's art just took it to another level, it was beautiful.

Another cover that I really liked was the one where Emma is covering Scott's eyes with her hands but you can see faint optic light seeping through her fingers. Art was off the chain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads