• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The art of wearing tan shoes with navy suits

the_sulks

Reaction score

I typ only wear black shoes with blk pants. I think this is pretty common in my experience.

I believe pants should never be of the same color with shoes except you wear a tux.

the_sulks

Reaction score

I really don't like navy suits with tan shoes. It looks quite flashy, and not in a fun/good way.

If you really, really must combine light brown shoes with a blue suit my tips would be these:

- only do it on the sunniest days of the year
- only do it with a blue suit that is at least a couple of shades brighter than navy (and preferably much lighter still)
- only do it within a reasonably casual outfit/setting

I almost always wear black shoes with navy suits. Once in a blue moon, I might wear very dark brown or dark burgundy. I always feel a bit random on those days.

Thanks for details.

Claudio

Reaction score

Last summer. Silk-linen suit, linen shirt and wore chocolate brown belt .this is casual and by no means business wear IMO. If its bsuiness wear, do not wear tan shoes and blue, stick to dark brown or black

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get trousers with suspenders or side tabs with your suits; solves the problem of picking out a belt. I also am in the no tan shoes with navy suits category. It's a look I consider to be more flashy than elegant.

Yes brown or burgundy. I typ only wear black shoes with blk pants. I think this is pretty common in my experience.

Black shoes are absolutely classic and fine with any navy or grey suit (they also work with black trousers or suits but IMO those are not things any well-dressed man needs to own). You're of course free to not wear black with navy, but there's nothing wrong with it objectively and there are some times when black shoes really are the correct option.

You're probably the first person I've seen say they only wear black shoes with black pants, but maybe there are more.

the_sulks

Reaction score

Last summer. Silk-linen suit, linen shirt and wore chocolate brown belt .this is casual and by no means business wear IMO. If its bsuiness wear, do not wear tan shoes and blue, stick to dark brown or black

Your combination of colors looks nice yet your shoes are (light) brown, not tan.

the_sulks

Reaction score

There is an art?

Don't you just put them on your feet and tie the laces?
Left shoe on left foot, right shoe on right foot?

It is easy to make a mistake choosing the wrong colors and shades.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrendavid777