• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanksgiving NYC

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm about 99% that all of the major hotels do a Thanksgiving spread. I know that the Waldorf, Rits, 4 Seasons, and I believe that the St. Regis and Penninsula do as well. I'd recommend calling around ASAP as they tend to fill up fast.

I know for a 100% certainty that the Rainbow Room does a huge spread as well. Had a good friend go there last year. Said it wasn't bad for $200 and the view is to die for.

It's too bad Le Bernadin doesn't do turkey and pumpkin pie.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I don't think it's crass, but I do think it's a little sad. A recipe for sadness, if you will, since you transform an occasion to offer others in your life something made with your own hands into an opportunity to "plop down some $ and not have to worry about anything else."

musicboohoo[1].gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a compromise how about ordering the entire cooked and prepared dinner from a place like Whole Foods (stuffing, side dishes, the works) buy a killer Bourdeau, the best dessert, champagne and just eat in. I usually find that eating out on holidays is just OK, because the staff is so busy and overworked. Most good places are hovering over you to turn the table. I appreciate not having to cook, but buying it pre-cooked sure makes it easy AND you get leftovers!

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
We spent 3.5 hrs at Alain Ducasse...I really didn't feel rushed.

What's the difference between buying a dinner and sitting in the house and going out and eating?

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
We spent 3.5 hrs at Alain Ducasse...I really didn't feel rushed.

What's the difference between buying a dinner and sitting in the house and going out and eating?

Not having to go out. Not dealing with waistaff.

Those could be pros or cons depending on your outlook and whether or not you mind cleaning up the apt to welcome guests...

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't get all this antipathy to going out. Especially given the circumstances. I was with my family in Mexico over Thanksgiving many years ago and we ate a great meal at the hotel. I think you'll have lots of good options in NYC.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I don't get all this antipathy to going out. Especially given the circumstances. I was with my family in Mexico over Thanksgiving many years ago and we ate a great meal at the hotel. I think you'll have lots of good options in NYC.

A lot of it has to do with the shameless name-dropping SoCal loves to indulge in (e.g. Ducasse, Bouley, Jean Georges, Daniel...). That's the crass part, not the dining out on Thanksgiving. If he had expressed it otherwise asking for recommendations, it would have been different imo, but he never misses an opportunity to remind everyone that he can afford to eat at the most expensive places.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
A lot of it has to do with the shameless name-dropping SoCal loves to indulge in (e.g. Ducasse, Bouley, Jean Georges, Daniel...). That's the crass part, not the dining out on Thanksgiving. If he had expressed it otherwise asking for recommendations, it would have been different imo, but he never misses an opportunity to remind everyone that he can afford to eat at the most expensive places.

That I buy.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

You've obviously never experienced a Thanksgiving meal outside of Mom's dry turkey. Spending the $ makes it totally worth it if you're a foodie.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've obviously never experienced a Thanksgiving meal outside of Mom's dry turkey. Spending the $ makes it totally worth it if you're a foodie.

Sorry SoCal, some of us come from a family of great cooks or have the ability ourselves to cook up a storm and see Thanksgiving as the opportunity to really test our ability to create a full feast.

I think being able to afford to dine in the great restaurants of New York is a wonderful thing, but does it really take a four-star chef to create the traditional Thanksgiving meal?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I really enjoy planning and cooking a holiday meal for family and friends, and I am delighted when others do the same for me. Why not roast a really good organic turkey, a make a few side dishes with the best ingredients, and drink great wine at home? A few simple but perfectly done dishes and some great wine would be glorious.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You don't get it do you? I couldn't care less if you spent $25,000 to dine out on Thanksgiving; it's your desire to flaunt it that I find distasteful.

Also, I don't celebrate Thanksgiving and my mom lives thousands of miles away so I don't know what a bad turkey meal is like.

And to help you shed your image as an insecure parvenu, you should know that no one who appreciates fine food would ever label themselves a foodie.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, before kids and all, I volunteered at a a few Thanksgiving occasions. Amazing times! The not-so-well-fed get well fed and the servers/helpers are nicely lubricated too. Great food and feels much better than the bloated feeling common that day.

Another year, a college friend of mine was coming to NM and we went to an organic farm halfway between Albuquerque and Santa Fe on the banks of the rio grande. Played croquet, tons of great food, a fabulous post dinner walk to the banks of the river and a new set of friends. This farm later became a CSA. Most of the vegies were picked that day. There was a bunch of white turkeys running around (Turkeys and chickens eat worms and bugs are are very useful on organic farms), we were informed that the bird for dinner was the "mean one" of the flock. The pies alone covered a large farm table, i.e apple pie versions 1 ...... 15. Apple custard pie, apple raspberry pie, pear bluebery pie, pumpkin pies version 1 .. 10. Pumpkin dark chocolate pie, pumpkin .... Then there were the liquids. Sparkings, white, reds and some amazing brandies and eau-de-vies. All in all, more than an amazing day, an event.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We have done many different things for Thanksgiving over the years, but the one we have avoided is going to restaurants. As a kid (obviously) and while my wife and I were dating we would spend it with my family. Our wedding was very close to Thanksgiving day, so that year we spent it in a restaurant in Rome which was a great experience. Since then we have had it at our house and have included all sorts of different family members and friends. This year we have received a bunch of invitations from old family friends and have decided that for the next few years we will be Thanksgiving Vagabonds, travelling from house to house to see who cooks the best turkey.

Christmas dinner is another story. I cannot remember the last Christmas Day that was not spent with Dim Sum for lunch and Peking Duck for dinner.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rambo
I'm about 99% that all of the major hotels do a Thanksgiving spread. I know that the Waldorf, Rits, 4 Seasons, and I believe that the St. Regis and Penninsula do as well. I'd recommend calling around ASAP as they tend to fill up fast.

I know for a 100% certainty that the Rainbow Room does a huge spread as well. Had a good friend go there last year. Said it wasn't bad for $200 and the view is to die for.

It's too bad Le Bernadin doesn't do turkey and pumpkin pie.

This was what I was going to post, so I will just quote it.

In addition, if you ever hang out in any of the NY hotels, ask the concierge for a restaurant recommendation. He or she should be able to make a few good suggestions that will match your interests. Make it clear that you will tip for the attention and especially if the concierge offers to make a reservation for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads