• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell us about your favorite bar

BlackToothedGrin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Good list if you've got a bit of a hipster bent, which I do. Circle bar and saturn bar are highly dependent on the music, which often sucks to be honest. Circle especially. If the music is bad, the fact that the building is ill-shaped for a bar becomes a lot more apparent. When I lived there, I spent a lot of time at the Avenue Pub, Half Moon, and The Saint. Not really a bar per se, but the Bacchanal is an amazing place to sit outside, have a bottle of wine, and listen to music.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the bars I listed are just alternatives to SnJ's. I like Circle and Saturn best when there is no music, to be honest. Most bars on the Canal side of Nola, b/c that's where I like to spend time.

But New Orleans has lots of nicer places for wine or good drinks, too.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All are fairly quiet with great wine, except the 2 UK pubs, which are on for (important) sentimental reasons.

Claridges, London
Durrants, London
The Pierre, NYC
Cafe de la Paix, Paris
Cafe Imperiale, Paris
The Champagne Bar, St. Pancras Station, London
B Bar, San Francisco
Le Select Bistro, Toronto
The Green Man, Farnham Common, UK
The Greyhound, Reading, UK
Canoe, Toronto

Lots more...

tdangio

Reaction score
Denver (home bar): Colt & Gray - crowd can sometimes be a bit pretentious, but the food is decent and the drinks are very well made

Elsewhere: Velvet Tango Room (Cleveland)

aphextwin07

Reaction score
my favorite bars are the ones in amsterdam where you can kick back, relax and enjoy a beer while rollin up a phatty of some crucial chronic

ktrp

Reaction score
There was a bar near where I went to university called 'Ilyich's'. It was in the back of some other place. A friend and I finally went in one night on the way back from some other bar. It was about 12 feet wide and 30 feet long, painted black, had an enormous, back-lit in red, slightly 3-d 3/4 profile of Lenin in iron on the back wall, was decorated with barbed wire and soviet era propaganda. They had a few black and white tv's with no sound which were either playing the Battleship Potemkin or blade runner. A few bikers were in there. They were playing ace of spades by Motorhead. The bartender was a scorchingly hot blonde wearing skintight black.

Obviously, we thought it was the best place ever.

We went back a few weeks later with like one other person. This time it was a little busier, and there were no seats, but we noticed there was actually a staircase going down. We headed down with our drinks. The basement had more of an industrial vibe, just painted black with all kinds of weird tubing on the ceiling. There were about 20 people in the basement who apparently all knew each other, and all stopped talking to turn around and stare at us when we walked in. We left.

We never went back. The end.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Cesar on Shattuck in Berkeley was an amazing place for tapas and cocktails for a few years but then the owners got distracted. Its still a pretty good place.
It's also pretty good for a light -- or not so light -- lunch on a nice day when the doors are open.

If you find a good East Bay bar ... do speak up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads