• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell Me About Law School

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crease
A lot of firms actually bill by the tenth of an hour - every six minutes! Articling students are actually given timers so that they can learn to keep track of their billables.

When I was dealing with outside counsel, I got rid of all the firms that billed in quarter-hour increments and kept the ones that billed in tenth-of-an-hour increments. But even with the latter, there can be a catch: a number of tenth-of-an-hour firms require a minimum billing of two-tenths of an hour, or twelve minutes for that two-minute phone call.

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
When I was dealing with outside counsel, I got rid of all the firms that billed in quarter-hour increments and kept the ones that billed in tenth-of-an-hour increments. But even with the latter, there can be a catch: a number of tenth-of-an-hour firms require a minimum billing of two-tenths of an hour, or twelve minutes for that two-minute phone call.

this is true however my firm would never bill a client for a 1-2 min phone call at all...I might make a note that a call was made in the file but if a client saw that bill they would go nuts. Not trying to defend the billable hour practice but I can't imagine loosing a client over this. Besides, we all know that bills are altered from the actual billable hour #. Thats the big deal with the $160k figure....I get paid less because it takes me at least twice as long to do what a veteran attorney could do. I research the hell out of an issue for 10 hours for what the assigning partner could do in 2...of course those 2 partner hours are worth more than my 10at this point. legal economics, a study in futility.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
You should've billed his ass.

It would be too big a pain in the butt for me (requiring a disclosure to my BoD, etc) but do not think it has not crossed my mind to ask for a consultant's contract
smile.gif

topbroker

Reaction score

trajan

Reaction score
It seems to me that the problem is not with law, the fact that is hard, or peers for that matters, but rather with the fact that most people don't like law, and consequently enter a life where they do something only for the money. Of course life will suck, especially since you have a counter to register the number of hours you work. You know, it's not only to charge your clients but also for the employer to make sure you worked that much. This really happens in areas where people generally don't like the work. (I believe in mining they register the times when they go in and come out) What's worse is that lawyers in general are very busy and when they get a little bit of free time, they don't know what to do.

Being a lawyer is sexy because lawyers on TV are presented as powerful men, some of which genuinely care about people/society or are very rich working for the devil. In any case, they have a lot of time partying and being crazy (see Ally McBeal)

I'm sure it's a wonderful job for the few who like it.

--trajan

crease

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trajan
It seems to me that the problem is not with law, the fact that is hard, or peers for that matters, but rather with the fact that most people don't like law, and consequently enter a life where they do something only for the money.

I agree

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an engineer, I have to 'charge' each hour, in 15 minute increments, to my various projects. 'Clocking' in and out, as referenced above is common, almost the standard, for jobs that pay hourly.

topbroker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trajan
It seems to me that the problem is not with law, the fact that is hard, or peers for that matters, but rather with the fact that most people don't like law, and consequently enter a life where they do something only for the money.

I agree. I think the perennial appeal of law for bright young people has to do with the fact that for those who are good at school and socialized to the structure of school, law represents a way to utilize those propensities to make a potentially large income (unlike utilizing them in the world of academics). Law is very much like school; legal work is the homework assignment that never ends.

You know, it's not only to charge your clients but also for the employer to make sure you worked that much. This really happens in areas where people generally don't like the work.
That is an excellent point. For whatever hopeful thoughts they think about law before they enter it, many lawyers do, in fact, wind up despising the work. I believe that surveys generally show law to have one of the lowest satisfaction levels of any profession, and of course anecdotal tales of unhappy lawyers are legion. So forcing lawyers to keep track of their billables may well be a way of keeping them in their chairs, plugging away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads